Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:29:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Content pipelines
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Content pipelines  (Read 1566 times)
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2008, 11:07:43 AM »

I've spent a majority of the time on my latest project implementing various tools for my content pipeline, and it got me wondering what other indie folks are doing in this regard.

My pipeline is very custom because I'm writing a custom engine. I've got an aversion to using raw, loose files at runtime, so I bake my content where appropriate and package it into a single compressed file for release. I can also use loose files instead of package files for development, but I chose to not support loading raw formats (e.g. TGAs instead of DDSs).

My raw formats include Blender scenes, TGAs, WAVs and OGGs, INIs (for config vars), HLSL shaders, and a couple of intermediate XML formats for worlds and meshes (exported from Blender but not yet compiled into a binary form). Then I've got a small Python script that compares the timestamps on raw and baked files to see if anything has changed and runs the appropriate bake tools when needed. My bake tools include Blender (in command-line mode), a few DirectX SDK tools, and a pile of custom command-line tools to compile worlds and meshes and solve lighting and other engine-specific stuff.

It's only tangentially related to the content pipeline, but after baking, I pack everything up into an installer using NSIS. I only mention it because it's part of my big one-click batch file that rebuilds all code and data and produces an installer. It's very nice to be able to produce a complete build with no (manual) intermediate steps.

So, what's everyone using? Anyone else have comparably custom pipelines, or do you find it easier to use raw files for quicker iteration, or are you working with an existing framework that has a good pipeline built in?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:27:26 PM by dphrygian » Logged

Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 03:48:59 PM »

We use Unity, which is the nicest pipeline I've ever worked with.  We drop in PSDs, Maya files, TTFs, and WAV files for source assets, which turn into appropriately flattened/compressed resources on game build.  Unity will automatically reimport any content that changes (even while the game is running in the IDE).

It's nice to have original sources for everything in source control.  We can also change quality on things--Vorbis bitrate, texture size, etc--without touching the original file via import settings.

All of our game numbers/stats are handled by Unity's paradigms, which works out beautifully.

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic