Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:19:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Wars: Galactic Battlefight
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Space Wars: Galactic Battlefight  (Read 1859 times)
jlorenow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:32:28 AM »

Here it is, folks. After a worryingly long hiatus, the triumphant release of

Space Wars : Galactic Battlefight!

Space Wars : Galactic Battlefight (SWGBF) is a 1v1 turn-based video board game pitting fleets of hyper-futuristic warships against one another in a desperate bid for control of the galaxy.

Numeric Superiority!
In this distant future, humanity has developed beyond the need for percentages, probabilities, and numbers higher than 8.

Go in from behind!
Strike the enemy's undefended flanks or rears for massive damage bonuses

Push your imagination to the limit!
Forget everything you know about space ships or artwork drawn by conscious human beings! Please.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:38:07 AM by jlorenow » Logged
ROCKYIII
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:33:20 AM »

Hello,

Maybe could you make a video of gameplay?
jlorenow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 07:23:05 PM »

That's a good suggestion, thanks.  I think once the UI's a little less
incomprehensible (and the ships a bit less hideous) I'll definitely put together
a video to demonstrate it.
jlorenow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 07:02:52 AM »

Incoming Update!

- Made the UI easier to understand
- Added ship animations
- Added some sounds
- New Fleet!

Fleet B:

Cuirassier x 2
    Charges into battle to slash and tear enemy all enemy ships in front of it

ChargedLaser(?)
    Fires a laser so far-reaching and deadly that it takes a full turn to charge

Rhino
    A slow, ponderous obelisk... until it fires its rockets and hurtles across the map, doing massive damage to the first thing it hits!
cragwind
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 01:42:53 PM »

Name redundancy! Smiley Two words denoting a space setting, and three for a conflict. Although I could also read that as increasingly specific...

It sounds fun. Would you mind posting screenshots or gameplay footage?

jlorenow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 01:39:41 AM »

Name redundancy! Smiley Two words denoting a space setting, and three for a conflict. Although I could also read that as increasingly specific...

I'll narrow it down even more for the sequels/expansion packs -- SWGBf: Extra-terrestrial Conflict, and SWGBf: Astro-Skirmish
jlorenow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 06:12:24 AM »

Apologies for the extremely delayed update.  The good news is that I finally managed to put together a simple demo video showing the current state of the game and some sample gameplay.  Pygame does not make this easy, and I ended up outputting screenshots and stringing them together into an mpg... I'm definitely reconsidering using pygame for anything beyond quick and dirty prototypes in the future.

The bad news is that my day job's crunch time has kept me from so much as thinking about SWGBF for the past few months, so my self-imposed end-of-year deadline is going to be pushed back to late February.

Come hell or high water, I will finish what I started.

jlorenow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 05:40:45 AM »

It's the very end of February, and I am proud to say that Space Wars : Galactic Battlefight is officially finished!

Reflections:
Above all else, my goal for this project was simply to finish it. I set myself a time limit, put a cap on features, and focused on getting things done. My haphazard attempt at maintaining a devlog here and making things available online has been an exciting new experience.

I made this in python using pygame, with sounds from sfxr and paint.net for the ship images. Python's always a treat to program in, but I found the difficulty and uncertainty of putting together executables, along with an inability to capture gameplay footage on windows something of a disadvantage. In the future, I think I'd like to try something like GameMaker to experiment with ideas, and avoid spending time doing everything from scratch.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic