Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:16:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Why does my game look ugly?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Why does my game look ugly?  (Read 9290 times)
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2012, 07:00:21 PM »

Why even bother with the tiny gap between the two lava tiles? Just make them connect into one larger lava pit.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2012, 09:42:53 AM »

Congrats, you are featured on Giant Bomb's website.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/worth-reading-092812/4394/

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »

Congrats, you are featured on Giant Bomb's website.
That's cool. 

Also, the game is done, and I kept the art style with the bright colours, because I personally liked them better.  Thank you to everyone who gave advice, even if I didn't use it in this game I will probably in the future.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »

I don't really see a reason NOT to have any brighter colors, so long as they're consistent and don't draw the eye away from the actually important stuff.
Have you thought of this? If the bright colours are so important to you, then you should look at the other side of the coin: the fact that the player and the inner tiles don't draw as much attention, and try to fix it from that angle.
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2012, 02:45:20 PM »

I don't really see a reason NOT to have any brighter colors, so long as they're consistent and don't draw the eye away from the actually important stuff.
Have you thought of this? If the bright colours are so important to you, then you should look at the other side of the coin: the fact that the player and the inner tiles don't draw as much attention, and try to fix it from that angle.
I never thought of that.  That would look really cool, It's a great idea. 

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2012, 09:57:09 AM »

Controlling your contrast and level of detail is a big fucking deal, and you should think about it from the beginning:

Your early versions featured a lot of good art, but some bizarro world contrast, where some details (like the walls or the lava box) were SUPER HIGH CONTRAST AND DISTRACTING and other important details were arbitrarily low contrast. Or some parts were very dark, and the others were very light, or etc. It was a mess!

Think big!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic