Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:29:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesStrange technical issue
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Strange technical issue  (Read 1547 times)
Waltorious
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2008, 10:59:29 AM »

Hello all,

I've had a weird problem with a few games that I found out about through TIGSource.  So far it's happened with An Untitled Story, Gear World, and (I think) The Hanrahan Game: Final Mix.  I downloaded these games to my laptop, and they work fine, but when I move my laptop somewhere else (for instance, I tried using it on an airplane) the games will not run.  I thought maybe this had to do with me not being connected to the internet while I was on the airplane, but when I got to New York and used my friend's wireless, they still wouldn't run.  I tried re-downloading them, no luck.  However, when I get back home and have my laptop running on my wireless, the games work again with no problems.

I have no idea what might cause this... does it even have anything to do with the internet?  I thought maybe a firewall issue or something?  And it must be something unique to these games' design, because other things run fine.

Anyway, it's not a huge deal, but it would be nice to be able to play these games when I take my computer places.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:04:37 AM »

Obviously these games love your home so much they refuse to play anywhere else.

Actually I don't know, never heard of that before.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:13:21 AM »

Never heard about those games, is that some kind of spam? Huh?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:36:19 AM »

Sounds like you should do some more scientific testing on the phenomena, as it sounds too good to be true and therefore probably is.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
OryBand
Level 0

Screamadelica.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 02:52:28 PM »

I don't know the games you've mentioned, so - are those game multiplayer or at least require a network connection?

If so, perhaps there was some sort of problem in your friend's wireless network. Same for the airplane which doesn't have any wi-fi available of course.

Another thing might be that you probably missed something that affected the applications.. Like uninstalling / reinstalling something, changing registry entries (if your using windows).

That's at least what I think.

I can't accept the deal that games have emotion and thus refuse to play anywhere which isn't your home.

Never go to bed mad, stay up and fight. - Phyllis Diller
Waltorious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »

I don't know the games you've mentioned, so - are those game multiplayer or at least require a network connection?

They're not multiplayer, which is the weird thing.  But the only thing I could think of that would be different when my computer is somewhere else is the internet connection, so I was guessing that was the issue.  Maybe they need the connection for something else?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic