Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:51:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Uncommon Art Styles in Games
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Uncommon Art Styles in Games  (Read 18801 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2008, 06:53:46 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, that pixel art discussion was going nowhere, so here's a thread that should be a lot more fun.

So, what rare (or non-existent) art style would you like to see done in a game?

I've always wanted to see a game that looks like Street Art (I think this is a more respectful term than Graffiti).  I just think that it's such an interesting and stylized form of art, and I'd love to play a game in that kind of atmosphere.

I'll note here, that I think you can have pixelated street art and still have that great street art vibe.  I think certain areas in Lyle in Cube Sector really had that vibe, and some of the many styles in this incredible music video definitely do too.  Oh, and I think that song should be TIGSource's official theme; the lyrics (not just the chorus) are so indie.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 07:19:03 PM »

graffiti is bit one facet of street art.

Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 07:22:17 PM »

Like I said in the pixel art thread find me a programer and I'll totaly do the artwork for a game entirley in spraypaint.

I'd love to see more claymation used in games. Neverwere looked awsome and Clay Fighters will always have a soft spot in my heart. But after that I don't think I've seen any games use it since.
ChevyRay
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 07:23:35 PM »

I want to see a game done like this Cool

Cactus showed it to me awhile back. It's rad.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:27:07 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 07:39:21 PM »

I'd love to see more claymation used in games. Neverwere looked awsome and Clay Fighters will always have a soft spot in my heart. But after that I don't think I've seen any games use it since.
There's a game called Platypus that uses it, a scrolling shooter... I remember playing it like five or six years ago and forgetting about it completely (though I vaguely remember enjoying it), and then recently a version of it was created for PSP, which I've never tried. Because I don't have a PSP.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 08:23:15 PM »

OK, sorry for not being as cultured as someone from Montreal, but I wasn't sure.  Is graffiti just the stylized names then?

Oh, and I noticed over at Kokoromi that you were speaking at the Montreal's Pecha Kucha night; 4 out of 7 is a hilarious statistic for an event like that  :D

I'm so mad that I'll be missing Edmonton's 2nd one this Thursday (one of the speakers is actually talking about the evolution of controller design; 0 game-related speakers for the first one we had, so this is definitely an improvement).

And that animation was incredible; I just can't believe they managed to create that  Shocked
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:15:01 AM by architekt » Logged
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 08:58:45 PM »

That is amazing.

blu's work is amazing.

there is some sick stuff linked through blu's site too.

Thank you ChevyRay!  Beer!

eta: for the topic at hand, I really like any kind of iconic art, early medieval art for example.

There is some great Persian miniature art too that I think would be great for a game. And I've always loved the style of Dore.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:06:39 PM by george » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 09:06:41 PM »

That video ... you could try to take video of a wall, (or ... several walls, some floors, etc), do some sort of structure from motion to get the rough 3D geometry of the wall(s) (offline), then (in the game) you could blend animated sprites in on to the video of the wall at the correct orientation (with another layer perhaps to take care of shadows, possibly quite painful to make, and some extra layers or processing to get some grittiness to the animated drawings?), and then mess with it until it looks graffiti?

Seems very tricky, but now I want to try it.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 09:15:41 PM »

I've always wanted to create a 3d renderer that used an impressionism dot-painting style. I guess Love is leaning in that direction. My idea was that you could ray-trace in realtime, since you only needed one trace per paint splot.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 09:33:05 PM »

Grin  Did you know they're talking about raytracing in real time as being a standard thing in the next generation of hardware?
Zaphos
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 09:49:04 PM »

I've always wanted to create a 3d renderer that used an impressionism dot-painting style. I guess Love is leaning in that direction. My idea was that you could ray-trace in realtime, since you only needed one trace per paint splot.
How were you planning to maintain frame-to-frame coherence as the camera moves?  If you sample the same places every time, then it would show the same dots changing size and color and be a really weird effect.  I guess you could take the 3D positions of all the samples, project them back to the new camera position, then sample those same 3D positions from the new angle ... kill rays if they don't hit roughly the same point, and finally fill in the rest of the screen with new samples as necessary?  HMM.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 10:29:35 PM »

Grin  Did you know they're talking about raytracing in real time as being a standard thing in the next generation of hardware?
Yeah, but I don't believe them  Tongue

How were you planning to maintain frame-to-frame coherence as the camera moves? 
It's definitely a huge problem, I agree. I'd originally planned to just redraw the entire screen with semirandom splots every frame. The flickering could get pretty painful. It adds a lot of life to the picture though. High contrast areas would be all flickery, whereas low contrast would seem relatively calm. Oh, and you'd totally use z-buffering to keep the front splots in front.

The other solution I'd considered was to abandon raytracing and use standard rendering techniques with LODded mesh particles / pointsprites. It might even be a good idea to just make meshes out of big flat billboarded masked splots. I suspect Love is doing something like that.
Saker
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 11:50:53 PM »

That is amazing.

blu's work is amazing.

there is some sick stuff linked through blu's site too.

Thank you ChevyRay!  Beer!

eta: for the topic at hand, I really like any kind of iconic art, early medieval art for example.

There is some great Persian miniature art too that I think would be great for a game. And I've always loved the style of Dore.

WTf?? ... you r talking about something that i was going to do  ... "You can see that my avatar is a miniature &^^" ..
really i have plans to do a game with this "old-new-fucking-wonderful" art style ...
now .. it can'r be a surprise anymore ><
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 03:49:33 AM »

I've always wanted to see a 3-dimensional Cubist game. Don't ask me how it would work, all I know is that it would be awesome. I'd also love to see a game that mimicked Mike Mignola's black and white art- it's stylish as hell.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 04:37:43 AM »

I would like to give an xth thumbs up to Clay/Stop Motion animation. So wonderous to look at. But so very difficult, I can only assume.

And I really love the idea of medieval art (much like was suggested over in Saker's rather pretty thread) in a game. Not simply "inspired by", but actually in the style. That would be nice. As Uncommon art in games is far, far too... uncommon.

Also, when watching the Muto video, all I could think of is "but they're just painting white over all that nice graffiti!" Good video, but... destructive. Stuff needs to grow back, now. Just me?  Huh?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 04:49:29 AM »

It's funny that you guys mention iconic art, because (and that's my personal view) videogame is already an art form by itself, and an iconic art form.
If you look at the arcade games of the golden age of 2d (198x-199x) you'll see great exampole of artistic prowess.
(take a look at these screens for example)
This games used their own codes, their own sense of perspective,etc...
Unfortunately, we have lost all this art with the arrival of 3D.
So let's just do kickass graphics and game instead of philosophing about which art styles we should copy.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 08:55:27 AM »

Neverwere? What is Neverwere? You mean the homoerotic student animation?

I think you mean Neverhood, you cretin.

You want to know why you don't see more clamation in games? Because it's difficult and when they go out on a limb to make a game that uses it simpletons like yourself never actually play the game, even tho they make vague misspelled references to it.

And it's A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

You sir, are despicable.

(I should probably insert a smiley to soften the blow and show that it's all in good fun. But if you can't tell that from my gentlemanly manner then you deserve the insult.)

Back on topic, I thought about an animation that looks like a chalkboard a while back on another forum. The same idea could easily be applied to a MUTO style. I came to the conclusion that to be done effectively it would not only require a specific artwork in the sprites, but also some software slight of hand so as to not entirely erase the old mark and whatnot. To really pull it off it'd have to run at about 15 FPS, but I don't think anyone would tolerate that, so it'd probably be better just to leave marks at 15 FPS and run the game at full speed. Another technical difficulty. Not insurmountable by any means.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 09:00:24 AM »

OK, sorry for not being as cultured as someone from Montreal, but I wasn't sure.  Is graffiti just the stylized names then?

Oh, and I noticed over at Kokoromi that you were speaking at the Montreal's Pecha Kucha night; 4 out of 7 is a hilarious statistic for an event like that  :D

I'm so mad that I'll be missing Edmonton's 2nd one this Thursday (one of the speakers is actually talking about the evolution of controller design; 0 game-related speakers for the first one we had, so this is definitely an improvement).

And that animation was incredible; I just can't believe the managed to create that  Shocked

graffiti is to street art what rap is to hip hop. kinda.
street art can be many things. it can be a sight-specific installation, it can be a guerilla projection, it can be stickers or posters. graffiti is painting on a wall. kinda. then there's all these different subgenres, like stencil graffiti (that's what i used to do), grime removal, tagging, writing, characters, murals...whatever.

it's just one facet of this greater movement.
anything that's art in a public place can be considered street art.
its the only arts movement that interests me right now.
everything else bores me to tears.
i think it's exciting and important.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 09:29:14 AM »

I'm definitely on the same page about street art; I think it still has it's artistic innocence because it hasn't been institutionalized yet (art school), and I sincerely hope that institutionalizing it is an impossibility.  For me it's what art is really about, getting one's message out there, experimenting with modes of representation, helping beautify spaces (graffiti > brick wall), etc.

And as a future architect who is quite bitter towards modernism, I find graffiti to be the ultimate rejection of minimalism, the statement that "a blank wall isn't good enough."

I guess I did mean graffiti then, in terms of the game style.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 09:43:44 AM »

I'd say jet set radio has a graffiti style to it and it's pretty rad.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic