Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:14:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Uncommon Art Styles in Games
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Uncommon Art Styles in Games  (Read 18869 times)
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 02:28:51 PM »

Benza, your statement has just been proven wrong twice. I expect to see your resignation on my desk in the morning.

Geez way to rub it in Tongue

Ok ok, I'm completly wrong I'll shut up.

I still think claymation rocks and needs to be done more though.

American advertisements from the 1960s
Wasn't that what the based the graphics for Team Fortress off of? I remember hearing something about that.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 02:48:37 PM »

YES

Also, I suggest a game that looks like (and I guess is) Soviet Propaganda.  It would be so funny; maybe just to me though.  Oh, and you'd have to keep it away from children because it might turn them into Soviets.  Being children, they wouldn't get that it was all a big joke.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 05:02:43 PM »

Fallout ripoff.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2008, 05:24:44 PM »

Not really; Fallout references that style, but the game itself isn't in that style.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2008, 08:28:15 PM »

Not really; Fallout references that style, but the game itself isn't in that style.
Correct. Fallout (IIRC) kicked off the game art movement we call "Browntown".
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2008, 10:41:57 PM »

to me the whole movement is simply about reclaiming public places.
putting a piece of art out there for every piece of poisonous advertising.
bringing balance.
it's beautiful.
Aha, no wonder it is so cathartic.. my eyes have poisoned with insidious messages for years! Muto was absolutely awesome, thanks (ChevyRay? I think posted the link first).
And to the poster about "they took over other graffiti Sad ", well, I think that was part of the theme! Expression(ism), Proliferation, Expansion, Will to Power, Perpetual Growth, and at the end, Homocide! a fantastic work.

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2008, 11:41:25 PM »

This probably isn't too exceptional an idea, but how 'bout a game in the style of old Atari manual art?  From creepy '70s-ness and colorful movement lines to weird sci-fi illustrations and overblown concepts that were simply unthinkable to convey in-game, there was certainly an interesting array of manual art...
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2008, 11:49:42 PM »

Mmm, gotta love those Activision rainbows.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2008, 04:30:11 PM »

This probably isn't too exceptional an idea, but how 'bout a game in the style of old Atari manual art?  From creepy '70s-ness and colorful movement lines to weird sci-fi illustrations and overblown concepts that were simply unthinkable to convey in-game, there was certainly an interesting array of manual art...

I'd say it's exceptional; whatever isn't common!  Strange...that are style itself leaves me feeling just a little uneasy.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2008, 05:02:17 PM »

I've always wanted to create a 3d renderer that used an impressionism dot-painting style. I guess Love is leaning in that direction. My idea was that you could ray-trace in realtime, since you only needed one trace per paint splot.

How were you planning to maintain frame-to-frame coherence as the camera moves? 
It's definitely a huge problem, I agree. I'd originally planned to just redraw the entire screen with semirandom splots every frame. The flickering could get pretty painful. It adds a lot of life to the picture though. High contrast areas would be all flickery, whereas low contrast would seem relatively calm. Oh, and you'd totally use z-buffering to keep the front splots in front.

I love the idea of the impressionist painting style. I think that if instead of rapidly painting on top all the time you just changed the color of the splots when the new color is only slightly different, and drew a new one on top if that is not the case, it would not make it flicker too much.

Also, when watching the Muto video, all I could think of is "but they're just painting white over all that nice graffiti!" Good video, but... destructive. Stuff needs to grow back, now. Just me?  Huh?

Yeah... indeed. Also a lot of white paint on the floor and everywhere. The end result is awesome though, so I'm not sure what to think!

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2008, 05:03:49 PM »

I have to agree about Muto; it took me a little while to notice that was happening, but I cringed once I did.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2008, 05:16:04 PM »

How were you planning to maintain frame-to-frame coherence as the camera moves? 
It's definitely a huge problem, I agree. I'd originally planned to just redraw the entire screen with semirandom splots every frame. The flickering could get pretty painful. It adds a lot of life to the picture though. High contrast areas would be all flickery, whereas low contrast would seem relatively calm. Oh, and you'd totally use z-buffering to keep the front splots in front.

I love the idea of the impressionist painting style. I think that if instead of rapidly painting on top all the time you just changed the color of the splots when the new color is only slightly different, and drew a new one on top if that is not the case, it would not make it flicker too much.
Why not just splatter dots on each frame but never actually clear any of the old ones away? That way I think it would flow instead of flicker... especially if you, perhaps, added an effect where instead of each dot just dropping in it faded in and/or spread from a small point to a bigger one. Maybe it would be possible to do it like a series of raindrops where as each point is drawn it proceeds to spread out and fade out... I dunno, lots of interesting ways you could go with that idea.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2008, 05:16:30 PM »

i dont have any example of anything id like to see right now, but it's clear to me that "art" in game is one, if the not, THE field with the most room for improvement.
there is so much beyond childish cartoons and brown corridors. im excited not only about the different type of subject matters that have never been explored, but mostly im excited about all the ways we could render these things.

actually, that reminds me, there's this little project ive been thinking about that kind of explores the impact of art on gameplay... right petri?

ahem kof kof.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2008, 05:48:20 PM »

childish cartoons and brown corridors
You've just summed up why many intelligent people refuse even consider the idea of games being art.  Gentleman

I think many subject matters require new rendering techniques to be explored properly, and over-reliance on the current few styles are one of the reasons these ideas haven't been explored.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2008, 06:10:14 AM »

Why not just splatter dots on each frame but never actually clear any of the old ones away? That way I think it would flow instead of flicker... especially if you, perhaps, added an effect where instead of each dot just dropping in it faded in and/or spread from a small point to a bigger one. Maybe it would be possible to do it like a series of raindrops where as each point is drawn it proceeds to spread out and fade out... I dunno, lots of interesting ways you could go with that idea.
I trieds this with a simple 2D test case, basically "panning" the source image and not painting enough splots to redo the scene. what I found was that unless the source image moved very slowly the whole thing got pretty messy and difficult to parse. I suppose a system that identified the areas of most change and focussed the new splots there could work (kinda like video compression). Interesting.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2008, 06:19:51 AM »

No, I didn't. Gorgeous. And sinister. Makes me nervous. Lots of death. And life.

Thanks 0rel!

EDIT: Some of them really freak me out, though.

EDII EDIT: It's wonderful what they see in these places - little switches and pipes as houses for new inhabitants. Does capture alot of what's nice about exploring an old, abandoned Place. But exceptionally well.

EDIT UPON EDIT: Hooo. Wonderful. Wish I'd seen this before. Though Now is as good a time as any.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:43:45 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
increpare
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2008, 07:35:58 AM »

I hadn't seen that before.  Hmm.  A bit too much cursor mine-sweeping for my liking.  In principle I think I like this, but I generally found myself rather unmoved :\
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2008, 07:42:25 AM »

i think it'd be kinda cool to do a game in the style of a dream.  so, in dreams i tend to float around in a haze of different things and feelings - at least afterward that's how i would describe it.  so i think it'd be interesting to do a game that continously changes and redefines itself as time goes on in much the same way that a dream would.  i don't know.  it could be cool.  i need to think about it more.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2008, 01:12:26 PM »

That game really creeps me out; it's so unsettling.

I got talking with an acquaintance a few weeks ago about art/concept games, and he quite enthusiastically told me about this one.  So, I watched a video of it, and yeah, I have no desire to play that (although I won't deny it's artistic merit).  Dreams do usually end up being slightly "off," and that always creeps me out.  That acquaintance and some friends of his are actually planning on creating a spiritual successor to it with XNA.  They don't have much (if any?) experience in the indie scene, but they have got it in their heads that it will take years to make, so that's good/accurate.
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2008, 04:55:33 PM »

See that LSD game doesn't look anything like dreaming to me.
Dreams are realistic, they don't have walls textured in off colour photographs, walls look like walls. There is always something just a little bit off but you can never quiet place it.

A game that plays like a dream should atleast attempt to be realstic then just get that one little thing that makes everything else seem wrong.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic