Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:16:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHelp! - Starting Out
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help! - Starting Out  (Read 1105 times)
Brayzen
Level 0

@CurveballGames - Unity developer, hobbyist

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2012, 03:04:26 AM »

Hello everyone!

I joined TIGSource a while back, hoping to start out making games, but I was still at university and didn't have the time, money or commitment to really get going.

So, I'm one to listen to my elders and not rush in head first. I was really hoping people could give me some good advice for starting out, any stories they have, that kind of thing.

Just to give you an idea of who I am (I posted on the new member board ages ago)...

• I've just graduated with a 1st class honours in Computer Science
  • I'm working full-time, 9 'til 5
  • I'm 21
  • British
  • I've wanted to make games ever since I played my first game - Super Mario Kart
  • I'd love to one day make quality simulation and RTS games, as this is by far my favourite genre to work with. Bullfrog, Westwood Studios and, more recently, Kairosoft are studios I really admire the work of
  • I can program in Java, C++ and C#, and have been doing so for 3 years. I've gained confidence with OpenGL and GLSL but am yet to learn the nuances of DirectX and HLSL.
  • I created my first "game" as a university project: it was a 4-level tower-defense game. It had the hallmarks of a TD game (money for killing enemies, enemies of different strengths, towers can be upgraded, three tower types, all with different stats, number of lives for each level, towers unlocked on new levels...) - you can see screens here: http://gnrgamedev.tumblr.com/post/19112867526/dean-street-defense-complete
  • I created an agent-oriented FPS "engine" for my dissertation... well, most of one (http://gnrgamedev.tumblr.com/post/21574430956/dissertation-work-agent-oriented-video-game-design)
  • ... and finally, my last attempt at a game was a failure: http://gnrgamedev.tumblr.com/post/25846921354/oops-auroris

Guys and gals, I'd really appreciate your support here. I'd appreciate it if you read my blog posts, but comments on the screens would be just as good. Bear in mind I'm not expecting to go commercial straight away, but I'm also not looking to make a Pacman clone. Be as critical as you can!

Again, thanks Smiley
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:32:07 AM by Brayzen » Logged

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 06:43:16 AM »

You should make a DevLog here.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »

Personally, I think the best piece of advice is to start small also known as "whatever you may think you'll be doing, it is too damn large". Second, start marketing in the broadest sense of the word -- devlog, blog, website, videos, screenshots, previews, etc. Those two may not be the most important factors, but they sure as heck are the ones most fail at.

Specifically to you, I recommend getting an artist onboard as soon as you have a design brief and for the love of all sacred, start small.

Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 06:37:26 AM »

This sounds rather hopeless to me. If you have not made any games as a kid, do you really love making games much more than making other things? Also, you had no time during university time!? What you were doing then, studying? :D University is the prime time for making games (a lot of time and you are old enough to accumulate sufficient skills), things can go only harder from then...

I don't know, people are different and weird, but still your story about "wanting to make games" does not add up to me Smiley My advice would be to recheck again if making games is really the thing you want to do in life.

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:50:26 AM »

I don't know, people are different and weird, but still your story about "wanting to make games" does not add up to me Smiley
Same, when I read that you always dreamed of making games but u didn't even try before I was like
 Huh?

Brayzen
Level 0

@CurveballGames - Unity developer, hobbyist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »

fair points. I have started a DevLog (here) and am under way.

Also, you had no time during university time!? What you were doing then, studying? :D University is the prime time for making games

Believe it or not, I did study most of the time! It paid off in the end. I made games when I could at university, but they were far too ambitious, and so I ended up scrapping them. My first, during my first year, was going to be an RTS game. Needless to say it didn't get far. So I did make some games during university, it's just that my ego got the better of me.

I don't know, people are different and weird, but still your story about "wanting to make games" does not add up to me Smiley My advice would be to recheck again if making games is really the thing you want to do in life.

Weird sums me up I suppose - I've made all sorts of excuses as to why I haven't made games all my life. I used to love level editors and little piece of software called 3D Game Maker Lite which I had, and only wished I could afford a NetYaroze.

What I'm definitely going to do is get a game under my belt. The fact I keep trying to make games but fail due to over-ambition suggests to me that I do want to do it. But I think until I make something, I won't know for sure. It's more a gut instinct more than anything.

Thanks to the four of you for your advice, really appreciate it Smiley

Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 01:02:46 AM »

You should try entering a short competition/gamejam, it really helps with problems like that. Just get working! The ticking clock helps Smiley

Liosan

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 04:43:27 AM »

This is not always the case, but it's nice to actually work in the game industry for whatever amount of time to get a feel for the flow of game development professionally. Lots of people go in thinking it's easy and fun. It's not easy, a great product takes a lot of hard work. But it is fun.  Wink

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 08:25:40 AM »

You should try entering a short competition/gamejam, it really helps with problems like that. Just get working! The ticking clock helps Smiley

Liosan
I was about to give the same advice, but Liosan beat me to it. Basically if you have the skills to make a game the big hurdles become: motivation, time, excessive scope, and second guessing yourself. Do a weekend project using tools/libraries you are familiar with. Complete something, it is a tremendous rush. Don't worry about making it a masterpiece that will make you rich. You are going to make a lot of mistakes your first few games, it is better to make those mistakes on projects you are not heavily committed to.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic