Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:16:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralImmortal Defense is being given away today.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Immortal Defense is being given away today.  (Read 4420 times)
Symbiotic
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2007, 04:16:26 AM »

Game Giveaway of the Day is giving away Immortal Defense for free today.
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 05:28:43 AM »

Please, add more content to your posts. Links, screenshots, game reviews/overviews, anything.

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 08:19:21 AM »

What's up with this "Game Giveaway of the Day"? How do they make money?

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »

At a guess, it means people will keep coming back to check to see if today's game is any good, and that gives page impressions and likelihood of demo downloads. I'm sure there are other reasons it's a good business plan too.

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 09:30:32 AM »

I gave my mom that website.  Things between us have never been the same.  Wink

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 09:36:09 AM »

They make money through ads, and it probably makes quite a bit because they gave me 400$ to put ID up free for a day, which is fine by me because that's the equivalent of 20 sales in one day, and ID's maximum per day is 7, with 2 being average.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 03:04:16 PM »

They make money through ads, and it probably makes quite a bit because they gave me 400$ to put ID up free for a day, which is fine by me because that's the equivalent of 20 sales in one day, and ID's maximum per day is 7, with 2 being average.
Ah ok, makes more sense now Wink

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 11:04:42 AM »

I just want to add that the free game being offered today, Button Up, is one of the most hilariously bad games I've ever played.  Here's my experience:

It described itself as a game where you sew buttons.  I thought that if someone was to make a game about sewing, it has to have some new ideas in it.  It might be interesting to experience a new type of game.  So I download and install it.

I boot up the game, and I hear that Ferris Beuller song (you know, "BOW BOW, OHHHHH YEAHHHHHHH, BOW BOW chicka, chicka-chickahhhhh").  It's not just a song that sounds like it.  It's the actual recording.  So then I start playing the game.  The screen is filled with buttons flying all over in random directions, and the game starts buzzing at me.  There's no sewing involved at all!  You move around and pick up buttons with your main button.  I click on a chat window to tell someone about the Ferris Beuller song, and the first level BEAT ITSELF.  All this time, that Ferris Beuller song is on loop. 

So I played more and I figure out that blue buttons are points, and red buttons hurt you.  Well, that's fine, except the buttons randomly and instantly change into other buttons while they're flying in random directions!  Not to mention the fact that some of the red buttons are powerups.  So I saw the yellow powerup, which is supposed to make you bigger (according to the help text).  I picked it up, and GAME OVER, INSTANTLY.  I was laughing pretty hard at this point, because the game was just such nonsense.  I played one more time, and once again, yellow button gave me INSTA-GAME OVER as soon as I touched it!  So yeah, it's a REALLLLLY bad game, and I enjoyed it on those merits.  It really is more a prank than a game.

I was hoping it had a new type of gameplay I hadn't seen before, but it's just a dodge/collect game.  Sad

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 11:09:11 AM »

That game is by "Double Games" which are notorious for making horrible flash games and wrapping them up in .exe's.

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 11:21:42 AM »

So rinku, have you gotten any feedback on your giveaway?  Any emails of opinions from people who decided to take advantage of yesterday?  Or did it just sorta silently pass on by?  I'm curious if it brought any attention to your work that you normally wouldn't have gotten.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 11:25:42 AM »

I wrote about it somewhat on the game's forums, I don't want to repeat myself too much here. But briefly, I don't think the game was the kind of game the people on that site are used to (even though it got more positive than negative in its rating system); I do think it helped popularize the game, 3 people joined the forums just to tell me that they liked the game and that they're considering buying it to get the updates and such that they couldn't get otherwise.

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 12:03:22 PM »

That's pretty cool about those 3 people.  If 3 told you about that, you know there are more that didn't.  And hell, that's just within 24 hours.  There'll probably be more.  I'll check it out on your forums.

You are right that it's a different kind of game than people on that site are used to.  I wonder if it opened any of their eyes to games outside of their usual circle.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 04:52:20 PM »

That was actually one of my hidden motivations, to show those people that indie games are not all bad flash games with stolen music wrapped up in EXEs or color-based puzzles.

ZombiePixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 08:07:57 AM »

I assume Double Games releases their crap games to drive traffic to their website, which is nothing more than an affiliate link farm plastered with Google adwords.  It somehow got them in the top 100,000 on Alexa.  If you're a person of no scruples who doesn't give at rat's ass about gaming or the audience then their business model does seem to work. Interesting.

On the other hand, congrats RinkuHero for going against the trend and not only releasing a cool game but also sharing your experiences and stats with us.  Very cool!
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 08:58:43 AM »

How'd you get in touch with these guys? Did they just email you out of the blue, or..?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic