Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:50:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessAdvises on dealing with Distributors
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Advises on dealing with Distributors  (Read 922 times)
Armitage1982
Level 0

Press any key to continue...

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2012, 02:43:13 AM »

Hi

I would like to ask you some advises on dealing with a Distributor (not a publisher).
I looked at the How to Start an Indie Game Business and some other threads but couldn't find any relevant information on this.

• 1. What ratio of the net receipts is commonly asked for both novice and professional?
  • 2. Does Distributors pay royalties?
  • 3. If YES, I guess we should deal with both separately? (meaning royalties are not included in the net receipts, acting as a regular income)
  • 4. Does Distributors asking a disadvantageous big ratio AND the exclusivity (except for your website) is still fair even if it's a big company?
  • 5. Any advises I should be aware of before signing anything?

Thanks for your help.
I may be okay in making games but don't know much about distribution Tongue

GeoffW
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 06:07:32 AM »

Is this a core or casual game?  What platform is it on?  Are you talking about a physical or downloadable product?

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 06:32:52 AM »

Downloadable product.
Action Indie Game, not so Casual and not Core either.
Windows, MacOs, Linux supported.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 06:39:20 AM »

I'm curious, why do you need a distributor for a downloadable product?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
GeoffW
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 06:47:21 AM »

OK, I'm a little bit unclear what you mean by 'distributor' as opposed to 'publisher' (the two terms are pretty muddled to me), but here goes...

I've heard that Steam offer royalties of around 60-70% on profits (after deductions for returns, taxes etc).  My experiences with other sites are roughly in line with that, though I think a few indie focused sites do offer a little bit more (and casual portals generally offer much less!)

As for exclusivity, I would not sign an exclusive deal with anyone except Steam because they're your largest potential distributor and they often pick up games that are doing well on other sites.  Steam don't offer exclusive deals, so basically, I'd say no to an exclusive offer unless maybe it was for a very short time span (a month at most).

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 07:34:36 AM »

Thanks for the tips.
I feel a bit the same about the exclusivity clauses.

@Christian
It's not really that I absolutely need a distributor (I already have my own store and partners) but one came to me with an offer and I like to study any opportunities. I also prefer working on making games & updates rather than spending time on Marketing. That's pretty much all the reasons Smiley

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 08:35:22 AM »

Ah, yeah I suppose it can make sense for marketing. Thanks for the answer. Smiley

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic