Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:48:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XIII- Kids Game (PythonBlue Wins!!!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XIII- Kids Game (PythonBlue Wins!!!)  (Read 6558 times)
lamontx
Level 0

I don't even know who Kuppo is. Kupo.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 07:29:16 AM »

Anyway, I won't be participating this challenge unfortunately, I may end up sounding too much like

or something silly like that  Giggle
And that's a bad thing because...?
Because right now I'm nearing the end of Solaria's music, and it's where the more intense stuff is supposed to happen. I don't wanna break away from my own rhythm if you know what I mean  Smiley
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 07:51:05 AM »

Anyway, I won't be participating this challenge unfortunately, I may end up sounding too much like

or something silly like that  Giggle
And that's a bad thing because...?
Because right now I'm nearing the end of Solaria's music, and it's where the more intense stuff is supposed to happen. I don't wanna break away from my own rhythm if you know what I mean  Smiley
Sure, I do! A very good reason indeed.

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 09:21:21 AM »

Ok humans, here is my entry. i do not think this music is quite suitable for any game that I know of. I kind of went overboard with what it felt like to be a kid. so yeah its very silly.
http://soundcloud.com/judahroydes/i-broke-my-toys

Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »

@JudahRoydes Dear god that fucks with my mind Epileptic sounds more like a mash-up than a complete track (e.g. what's with the random metal bit?) but hey it certainly got my attention.

But did I like it? I don't know what to think right now...
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 11:08:57 AM »

Haha Judah, is that bossa part a hommage to Mr. Bungle? Totally reminded me of "Sweet Charity" with those sudden changes.

I'm not sure how kids would react to that track in a game though... Crazy

But some great sounds in there! Enjoyed it.

Cheers,
Moritz

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 12:09:12 PM »

woah judah!

hahaha this is hilarious and wonderful! The first section was some spot on katamari-esque fugue-y stuff, dunno if it was strictly a fugue (learning how to write a fugue is on my list of music things to do...) but i loved it.

The feeling coming away from this piece is like "uhhhhh..." and then you want to listen again to try and find some satisfaction somewhere! hahaha, not in a particularly negative way but it gives you these small peaks into different worlds and chucks you back into reality with no soft cushions!  Wizard

I want to hear a full version of that bossa track big time! serious jam right there.

JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 12:20:51 PM »

@Moritz ha you are like a musical mind reader! yeah it was an hommage to Mr. bungle. I kind of went crazy with this track. I know what you mean about it fitting into a game. The first section and the boss part could be used may be. I got a little to playful with the transitions and extra stuff.

@Calum I got the idea to do the bossa part when you said something about animal crossing and it reminded me of the 5pm track. then I thought I would do it Mr. bungle style. I wish the first section was a real fugue. I have tried to write them before but I always get stuck because you can't use rests in a fugue.

I am glad you guys enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:00:49 PM by JudahRoydes » Logged

Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 12:30:33 PM »

Ok so I wasn't going to enter this one (getting in touch with my inner child is tough!) but Moritz actually convinced me to enter anyway. Perhaps a predictable take on the theme but ah well, all I kept thinking was 16 bit. 16 bit. 16 bit Addicted Although it's not true 16bit it's influenced by that era so there ya go: *fixed link* http://picosong.com/wxQs

The start of the track is completely different to the rest cus I was originally going for a cute zelda-esque vibe but it ended up differently, but I just left in the original idea anyway. There's also two shameful mario references in there (I couldn't help it Shrug)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:47:48 PM by Soundhound » Logged
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »

Well, in my case, good news and bad news.

Good: having learned about this competition, I managed to make a short piece a little bit over a minute..

Bad: Can't upload it at the moment due to having a class. This also means I won't be able to listen to others' submissions until after class. Tongue

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 04:18:56 PM »

Apparently, no one replied since, anyway. XDD

Here's my submission at 1 and a half minutes. Composed this in an hour. XD

http://soundcloud.com/sgtyayap404/cartoon-compo

Official Website
Bandcamp
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 05:49:46 PM »

Now, my turn for commenting on other submissions. XD

Very nice 8-bit, SoundHound! Smiley Course, since you're not the only one to submit such a genre, I'm getting nervous about my use of orchestral music for this competition. XD

EDIT: Having learned how I'm supposed to critique, in regards to Soundhound's piece, I like the almost circus-like melody in the beginning reminiscent of the Pokemon credits music, but then I guess I was caught off guard by the change of mood as it progressed. Was this supposed to be a suite?

Towards the end, I also felt it got a tiny bit too scary for kids music; it sounded more like John Carpenter than, say, Alan Silvestri. Then again, there is a lot of hints of dark stuff in some kids material.....

Overall, while this is great music to my ears, I felt it got slightly too dark for the purpose of the contest.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:08:49 PM by PythonBlue » Logged

Official Website
Bandcamp
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2012, 05:53:40 PM »

nice work pythonblue - it's nice to see you here!

I got a real sims vib from this. Good work with the string pizz.

if i may offer some critical feedback - the instrumentation remained unchanged for too long - i'd suggest gradually bringing in more layers - playful glockenspiel/flute/light tambourine/piano arpeggios/little harp chords - something like that - just to keep the ear timbrally interested. I loved it when that oboe melody came in but felt the melody may have lost its sense of direction towards the end.

Sweet work though, especially in only an hour! & i wouldn't worry about it being orchestral - think peter and the wolf and of course, as i said before, the sims music!!

@soundhound. Nice work. haha that mario sample! You seem to have some quite complex rhythmic things going on in the beginning with the drums. I like some of the polyphonic movement you've got but it seems a little empty in the first 30 seconds or so with the high bass line and the high bell-like thing - could use some chordal or midrange & low parts. When the bass and riff comes in then it's feeling a lot more solid. You packed a lot of stuff into that short track! I heard the mario sample but what's the second reference?

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 05:59:15 PM »

Criticism accepted, Calum. I didn't enter this hoping I'd win, anyway; I participated more for both promoting myself and for getting suggestions for improvement, which I've finally received for a particular mood of mine. XD Thanks again.

Thanks also for letting me know how I'm supposed to structure critiques. Will edit my prior post.

Official Website
Bandcamp
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 06:32:26 PM »

hahaha, there's not real way to structure your critiques - just say some words Smiley

i'm glad you entered. You've beaten everyone who hasn't entered yet. Strictly speaking and also because the best thing is getting some motivation to write music and hear what people think about it and improve - that's what everyone wants. Who wants to win the challenge? All you get in the burden of hosting the stinkin' next one! Screw that Wink

looking forward to hearing more and participating myself!

Lkcomposer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 10:15:04 PM »

Here's my shot at this theme. http://picosong.com/wxNx/ Did this really quickly while procrastinating. Hope you guys enjoy.
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2012, 10:40:53 PM »

Judah, I totally laughed my ass off. Especially about the point where those squeals turn into silly humming noises.
...This was rather intense.

I will come back at the other submissions when I'm back.
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 01:12:41 AM »

@pythonblue eh maybe it does get a little dark (not dark by my standards though lol), kid's music (especially kid's game music) can be really dark though; lavender town in pokemon anyone? I remember thinking how dark it was as a kid playing but i loved it. It's funny that you mention John Carpenter as i once wrote an EP of work influenced by him, now that stuff was dark   Evil

@Calum yeah the start bit is definately more empty than when it kicks in, i didn't spend as much time on that part as the rest. The second mario reference is actually earlier in the track than the mario sample; the little high bit before the music changes? It's the sound that plays when you pick up coins!
EveEllis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 06:44:51 AM »

Here y'are!
http://soundcloud.com/eveellis/time-for-an-adventure-thats-10

This one was super-fun to make.

I began by approaching a piano, as that's usually what I manage to write my best melodies on.. And from there, it didn't have to evolve much. I wanted to maintain a simplicity with it. Whether or not that makes it the most interesting or the most credible, I don't know - But I just felt as if it wouldn't have needed to be anymore complicated. As I've mentioned in a previous comment, in my experience for these consoles it's best to limit yourself to just a couple of instruments(tracks).. After all, this is a kids-theme challenge, and what will kids really discern/memorize? The lead.

So, that was my focus! Of course there are also bass notes in there just to accentuate the melody a little more when it had to.

It's short, so I understand that'll probably result in me not winning but eh, I was trying to apply this as if it were an intro to a GameBoy game.. Those aren't the lengthiest of intro's!

Enjoy! ^.^
EveEllis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2012, 07:11:59 AM »

i'm certainly not going to hold "it not strictly being kids music" against anyone who wants to belt out a pokemon-esque power pop enthusiastic, LET'S DO IT, rock out! I actually couldn't imagine anything i'd enjoy hearing more! hahaha, now i'm tempted to do something along those lines...

Really, I don't think kids are any less cynical or picky when it comes to music as adults are :D In fact as far as instrumentals go I believe kids may care less. Both from memory and judgement I feel kids are pretty elastic when it comes to what they'd willingly listen to.. The reason I reference Power Rangers, or Pokemon, or such is.. No, it's not exactly "kid" music, but, hell.. What IS kids music? Something simple and cutesy? Nah, personally, I think.. Kids can admire and adore anything in which they can discern a melody from. So even if there's a pop-rock ballad going on in the background, you'll always hear kids murmuring or whistling the vocal-parts. And even if they can't discern the instrumental, it still accentuates it.

The key element to this challenge and the success of your entry is to remember that, you are composing for kids, not musicians. Let's face it, musicians hear things differently than people do. Sometimes it's crucial to place yourself in the mindset of the listener and not fixate as a producer/composer, and ask yourself "Is it catchy?" or "Is it memorable?". At times, especially when the melody is highest-priority, it's important to not focus on the nitty-gritty.. The sounds, the effects, all that.

The same applies when you're composing for "Kids", though I wouldn't say that.. You're just composing for the music. And THAT'S why I love Chiptunes, it's dependent not on sounds or samples or production, but instead the melody.

I know that sounds REALLY general but, I dunno', as I said.. Kids can appreciate anything musical!

I can thank Pokemon for my own experiences and recollections, I hate to reference the same game 3 times but.. Really, those games just blow my mind with it's music, even at a young age.. It's soundtrack is so diverse. Not just for it's catchy rock-type battle themes, but for it's town-themes too. It resides in the same realms of memory as the soundtrack for LoZ: Wind Waker does. ..PLEASANT.. BUT EPICCCCC!!

You know something is catchy and pleasant when you willingly listen to it on your paces to the bus-stop each morning, and throughout the day.

This is why I love this challenge. So refreshing.
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 02:15:36 AM »

when i referred to pokemon i mainly meant the opening theme for the TV show but certainly a lot of the music in the pkm games is pretty kids to me. I suppose what I was trying to say was i'm never going to judge someone for not agreeing with me on what "EXAACTLY" is kids music. I think the definition or accuracy (unless there are parts that are clearly not suitable for kids) is irrelevant in a way.

To be honest, I think, if I were judging it, I would probably find what was most interesting and/or impressive to me whilst still pertaining to the category of kids in stead of what was the most kids theme-like or what children would like the most. Because, as you say, children can like anything really. Though, as you say the opposite, I think that'd put me in the camp of composing for musicians with the side-product being kids. That's probably just me being selfish and a bad composer  Cool

Yeah! I think this challenge is excellent as well.

I liked your track and the lengths to which you went out on a limb to pander for our nostalgia - the hissing! Had that nice gameboy RPG ADVENTURE feel with a cool melody. :   ) I'd love to hear how a longer version of this would develop.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic