Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:46:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMusic Challenge the Ninth - Melody
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Music Challenge the Ninth - Melody  (Read 8549 times)
increpare
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 07:03:52 AM »

Edit: Okay, since you initially suggested a two-minute melody, I'm going to shoot for.. FOUR MINUTES! Watch as I get bored way before that.
I wait with bated breath Synnah!
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 12:28:43 AM »

I'm between FL Studio and Logic. FL studio is incompatible with my mac(hine), and I'm incompatible with Logic, so I don't even go near. Sad
Ok software.  I thought you were spending all of your time building a recording studio or something  Smiley  Have you tried out pxtone or musagi?  They're both free, and do what they do quite well. OH WAIT YOU SAID YOU WERE ON A MAC.  Alas.  Milkytracker then?  Necessity has somewhat warmed me to it.  (you can't find a version of garageband that might work?)

Thanks man, I've just seen the additions. I'll definitely try Milkytracker out. In the meantime, I keep fighting my way into Logic. (Just checked musagi out. Damn it's awesome... Shame there's no Mac port of it...)

increpare
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 06:51:15 AM »

Thanks man, I've just seen the additions. I'll definitely try Milkytracker out. In the meantime, I keep fighting my way into Logic. (Just checked musagi out. Damn it's awesome... Shame there's no Mac port of it...)
Cool; logic isn't that gross to get started on; all you need to do is figure out how to enter notes and set up a vst instrument and you're pretty much started, after all.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 01:10:42 PM »

After a false start last night (I chose a stupid key, and the melody was rubbish), I'm making decent headway now. I don't know what my chances of getting this done by Sunday are, though. After 4 minutes of melody, I'm probably only going to have time to throw down the most basic of pads and bass. I want to do some pretty intricate drums, though.. We'll see how it goes.

Has anyone claimed the next challenge yet? If not, I can think something up.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 03:00:24 PM »

Oh dang deadline is Sunday? I'd better get to work

GabrielDib
Level 0

dont think you are, know you are.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 10:22:30 AM »

Hello there,
I just joined you guys and i'll love to participate this funny challenge.
I'd like to know if is there any restriction about the tools I use to record the melody. I listened to some material and I found it was quite 8-bit/16-bit timbre looking like. Any restriction?

Tnx

Gab.

Composer // Audio Producer
Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »

Increpare will have to confirm this, but I'm pretty sure there are no restrictions. There never have been in the past (Apart from Annabelle's chiptune demake challenge); if you wish you play the melody on a kazoo and record it on your mobile phone, that's perfectly acceptable.

Look forward to hearing your entry!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

increpare
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 05:43:37 PM »

Hello there,
I just joined you guys and i'll love to participate this funny challenge.
I'd like to know if is there any restriction about the tools I use to record the melody. I listened to some material and I found it was quite 8-bit/16-bit timbre looking like. Any restriction?
No restrictions, previous challenges have featured entirely orchestral entries.  Do whatever you want dude.

I have to get working on my entry soon myself ...
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 02:37:43 AM »

Well I've got... something! Not sure if this is the kind of thing you were looking for, but I tried to break out of the 4 measure structure stuff as often as possible without making it sound COMPLETELY meandering and weird. Right now it's just piano with no velocity tweaking and with no real ending or loop point, but I'll prolly put some more work in on it at some point to make it a more complete piece. I've got a problem now, though, where I like one of the bits near the end much more than the rest of the piece... I'm vaguely tempted to try and start a new piece completely from that seed. Oh well.

Mobius Step

Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 03:05:40 PM »

Man, I failed HARD at this. This is in no way complete; it's currently just a single synth melody and a crappy drum loop. At just under two minutes, the melody isn't even as long as I wanted it to be, and because I didn't get around to adding bass and pads, it's really boring to listen to. The good news is that I do intend to keep working on it after the deadline. I like some of what I did (switching key mid-bar, and some of the melody is nice), but a lot of it just sounds a bit too random, like I was just moving notes around on a piano roll to see what worked (This was exactly what I did). So, as well as lengthening it and fleshing it out, I plan on tidying up the melody. Here's what I've got, anyway:

http://www.willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=34189

Kobel, I really like your piece. The signature changes work nicely. I'll write a bit more about it tomorrow, as I'm incredibly tired right now.

increpare
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 03:31:31 PM »

Man, I failed HARD at this.
Ditto.  I'll hopefully toss something together tomorrow evening...somebody a while back said they wanted to try out the new comp?  Set up the thread then!

Kobel, I really like your piece. [...]I'll write a bit more about it tomorrow, as I'm incredibly tired right now.
ditto and ditto
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 05:17:30 AM »

Oh crap I'm too late!

*scrambles to PC*

*plugs in guitar*

*forgets to tune*

*noodles like there's no tomorrow*

*uploads shitty rambling solo thing*

http://www.box.net/shared/qp4shc3tpg

(Please regard this as a joke entry.)
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 09:36:29 PM »

...so what's the next challenge?

increpare
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2008, 03:17:56 AM »

I've just PMed synnah.  If they don't start one within the next 36 hours I'll open it to the floor.
Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 05:53:36 AM »

Wow, pressure! Sorry about that, I do intend to start a new challenge, I was just feeling tired and lazy last night.

increpare
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 05:55:26 AM »

Wow, pressure! Sorry about that, I do intend to start a new challenge, I was just feeling tired and lazy last night.
Heh.  We gotta keep the ball rolling...
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic