Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411916 Posts in 69431 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 10, 2024, 01:33:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Stage Design
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 45
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Stage Design  (Read 181746 times)
Mattdiox
Level 0

Fear me before I go Naija on your sorry Rumpus!

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 25, 2009, 02:33:54 PM »

I'm just happy Sol agreed with me :D Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside  Hand Pencil Addicted Hand Joystick
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: November 25, 2009, 06:31:54 PM »

I think the only way we could have it work is by copying either of the F-Zero levels from Smash Bros. Nintendo knew what they were doing.
JackShandy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 25, 2009, 11:28:33 PM »

OK BRAINWAVE:

The whole idea of indie games is that they're usually tiny, clever little things, sometimes taking under like 10 minutes, right? So, I'm not sure if someone's allready suggested this, but there should be a stage modelled on something like the TIGsource homepage. There's a TV in the background that flashes up the name of a game (say, Canabalt) and then the stage transforms to act like that game- in this instance, the stage would turn into a conveyer belt that the players have to run across. Like the pokemon stages in SSB. This way we could include a lot of the tiny indie games that wouldn't work for full stages. Having a constant scrolling canabalt stage wouldn't work, but having the stage scroll for just a tick would.
It would, once again, be a lot more work, though. I'd have to say that this is the only way the canabalt stage could feel like canabalt.

Side note: Will adventure mode have a boss?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:40:46 PM by JackShandy » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 25, 2009, 11:49:02 PM »

And it could make really badly yet cutely done cardboard pop-ups... pop up, and be different sets for the 'stage'. That could work well for littler flash games that are nonetheless unique, or for, as stated, littler indie games.
Thewaether
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: November 26, 2009, 06:00:04 AM »

I like the idea of Canabalt being an Adventure-mode only stage, rather than a watered-down component of any other stage. Sign me up for that.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 27, 2009, 12:48:08 AM »

OK BRAINWAVE:

The whole idea of indie games is that they're usually tiny, clever little things, sometimes taking under like 10 minutes, right? So, I'm not sure if someone's allready suggested this, but there should be a stage modelled on something like the TIGsource homepage. There's a TV in the background that flashes up the name of a game (say, Canabalt) and then the stage transforms to act like that game- in this instance, the stage would turn into a conveyer belt that the players have to run across. Like the pokemon stages in SSB. This way we could include a lot of the tiny indie games that wouldn't work for full stages. Having a constant scrolling canabalt stage wouldn't work, but having the stage scroll for just a tick would.
It would, once again, be a lot more work, though. I'd have to say that this is the only way the canabalt stage could feel like canabalt.
Somebody already suggested this, with a Bytejacker theme. It's a pretty good idea but I think it would take too much work for it to be viable in the current economic climate spriting drought.

Mattdiox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 27, 2009, 02:06:37 AM »

It would be a neat little add-on for the game. If you guys plan to do that. You can always release a normal version. Where it is all done on the fighting kind of areana, no fancy story modes. Everything is just on the battles as it is now.

And every so often when you guys can, you release a fun 'arcade' level. In which the character goes through an indea game themed level -such as canabalt for instance- and then you unlock a new fighter character from a different indie game -unless that theme also has a good character to play as- which would often be done by fighting this character in a match.

Some games -like canabalt- would not really have any good characters to unlock so in that instance. You just have them unlock a character from say .... I dunno any indie game with a decent character I guess.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 27, 2009, 02:20:01 AM »

It would be a neat little add-on for the game. If you guys plan to do that. You can always release a normal version. Where it is all done on the fighting kind of areana, no fancy story modes. Everything is just on the battles as it is now.

And every so often when you guys can, you release a fun 'arcade' level. In which the character goes through an indea game themed level -such as canabalt for instance- and then you unlock a new fighter character from a different indie game -unless that theme also has a good character to play as- which would often be done by fighting this character in a match.

Some games -like canabalt- would not really have any good characters to unlock so in that instance. You just have them unlock a character from say .... I dunno any indie game with a decent character I guess.

Doesn't necessarily have to be characters! You could unlock stages, where you'll fight a match in that stage against a random opponent, items, where you play a match against a random opponent where only the item you are trying to unlock appears, and TIGBoxers, where its the same as item unlocking except with TIGBoxes instead.
Mattdiox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 27, 2009, 12:50:20 PM »

Well yeah that makes more sense
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 29, 2009, 11:42:35 PM »

IIRC The decision was made long ago to not hide components that've required lots of work (think spriting a character, in particular) as unlocks.

EDIT: Spelling  Facepalm
Mattdiox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: November 30, 2009, 02:00:50 AM »

That's fair. They've put a lot of work into it so it should all be available from the get go.
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 30, 2009, 05:23:57 PM »

Now where's the fun in that..

You should at least be able to unlock more trivial things. Like I dunno...
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: November 30, 2009, 07:56:05 PM »

...Museum entries. Additional music. More single-player modes.

Nothing gameplay-critical should be unlockable, but we can still work some unlockables in there.

MaloEspada
« Reply #453 on: December 01, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »

Why not TIGboxes? I mean, not all of them. And they are not SO sprite-heavy..
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 01, 2009, 11:40:15 AM »

whats a tigbox?

MaloEspada
« Reply #455 on: December 01, 2009, 02:18:18 PM »

whats a tigbox?
http://indiebrawl.co.cc/IndieBrawl/Items
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 02, 2009, 08:39:22 AM »

If I'm still on the same page (I lost 'net access for a few months leading up to v0.1.0) the argument against making TIGboxers unlockable is that spriting is the slowest part of the development. Making spritework as valuable as possible is more important than introducing features for the end-user.

As I mentioned, this is only my assumption of the situation; anyone who knows the answer more definitively is more than welcome to step in  Smiley
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 02, 2009, 08:52:30 AM »

tigboxes should be unlocked from the start, things like the jump upgrade should be unlocked by completing with ogmo or things like that. (if ogmo is a character)

ink.inc
« Reply #458 on: January 03, 2010, 04:49:24 PM »

Man, I'm being off topic here, but I'd be excited to hear the music for any Crayon Physics level.

EDIT:

But what exactly would player interactivity consist of in such a level? Maybe a crayon could pop up and draw a box around the player, restricting his movement. Or randomly draw up/delete stage elements from the game (aside from platforms, there could be the gigantic poorly drawn doodles of people that could... I dunno, come to life and deal damage... or it could just draw up a random box to do that). Naturally, these hazards aren't exactly in harmony with the game's decidedly calming soundtrack.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:38:17 AM by ink.inc » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #459 on: January 03, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »

Sun temple.

This is what I was thinking of:

The gears spin around (yellow); as time passes, the stage will flood to the next level. The gears will spin very quickly to signal that the stage is about to start flooding. The way to save yourself will be to stand on the floating platforms (green...ish) that will take you to the next tier.

The water will come out of the pipes on the side.

On the first tier, it's the statue of the sun temple creature, and a window into the outside oceans.

The second tier, a room full of gears.

The third, a huge porthole with the giant sunfish just outside. Once you reach here, the stage stops flooding.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:11:03 PM by ink.inc » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 45
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic