Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:56:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Stage Design
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 45
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Stage Design  (Read 181102 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: June 28, 2010, 03:50:25 PM »

Frik, the issue with such a stage is that most of the fightable portion is on the right. The left side of the stage is wasted real estate. No one's going to want to fight on tiny, dangerous moving platforms when there's a big, stable platform available.

Plus, it would be annoying to have to keep track of the block arrangements, so you'd know when the platforms would disappear.

As an aside, there's also a two-player mode in Audiosurf, so multiple ships really don't go against the game's spirit.

I thought of a Mute City-esque stage as well. I think it would fit Audiosurf better, but I don't think you could do such a concept justice with 2d graphics.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 28, 2010, 03:59:05 PM »

hmmm then if there's one car on the left and one on the right?

one track scrolls left and the other scrolls right. better?

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #762 on: June 28, 2010, 04:46:02 PM »

That's not how Audiosurf works at all, though.

capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 29, 2010, 01:46:51 AM »

after being a lurker for some time, i've now felt compelled to sign up just to say that this audiosurf idea isn't working at all.

i can see a mute city idea working, although without the big floating platform. just have a bunch of coloured blocks that act as platforms with a race track at the bottom and occasionaly the car drives from right to left (or left ot right) acts as a hazard and removes a chunk of blocks. these blocks could reappear after a short while.

i think your biggest problem frikman is that you try too hard to shoehorn indie games into brawl gameplay, instead try thinking about what interesting gamplay you would like in indie brawl and then try and fit it to an indie game, you might end up with a level thats fun first and an homage to your favourite game second.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 29, 2010, 11:27:13 AM »

i don't see how my last idea doesn't work like audiosurf. those are 2 different ways that scrolls in different directions.
i can see a mute city idea working, although without the big floating platform. just have a bunch of coloured blocks that act as platforms with a race track at the bottom and occasionaly the car drives from right to left (or left ot right) acts as a hazard and removes a chunk of blocks. these blocks could reappear after a short while.
this idea sounds very nice too but like my idea the blocks will need to be huge or be too close in order to have some room to fight on.
i think your biggest problem frikman is that you try too hard to shoehorn indie games into brawl gameplay, instead try thinking about what interesting gamplay you would like in indie brawl and then try and fit it to an indie game, you might end up with a level thats fun first and an homage to your favourite game second.
yeah that's kinda truth  Embarrassed

Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: June 29, 2010, 12:14:09 PM »

are we making this a little bit more complicated then it needs to be?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: June 29, 2010, 02:10:02 PM »

i think your biggest problem is that you try too hard to shoehorn indie games into brawl gameplay, instead try thinking about what interesting gamplay you would like in indie brawl and then try and fit it to an indie game, you might end up with a level thats fun first and an homage to your favourite game second.
This.

It is the better approach to take when making suggestions. This applies to everyone, not just Frikman.

That said, I still think an Audiosurf level could be enjoyable. But if you try to shoehorn it so that it perfectly matches the gameplay of the original, it's not going to be much fun. We need to take creative liberties.

thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #767 on: June 30, 2010, 12:22:48 PM »

How about a 7 minutes level? It would be interesting to play on a flashing stage, as well as have the god guy in the background yelling. In addition, we could have small avalanches of blocks falling down, as the world of 7 minutes is crumbling. I may have got this idea by realising this game should be in Indie Brawl, but I also realized that it had some traits that would make interesting gameplay soon after.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 30, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »

i think it'll be interesting. i haven't played too much 7 minutes because of my super lag but one of my friends said it was awesome and long ago told me about suggesting a level from the game but i was like "yeah, whatever" on those times because i tough you guys wouldn't be interested. now i fear not  Noir

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #769 on: June 30, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »

How would the falling blocks work, mechanically?

thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: June 30, 2010, 02:32:48 PM »

There would probably be some rumbling/screen shaking before and during the time the blocks fall. They would probably fall either in random locations or between platorms. They would also fall in small groups so as to form barriers/obstacles for our fighters (similar to what gunlimb does).
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: June 30, 2010, 05:15:41 PM »

I mean, what would happen if they hit a player? How should the overlapping solid objects be handled?

thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: June 30, 2010, 05:35:19 PM »

I would say very minor knockback and damage. It would also break apart on contact.
capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 01, 2010, 02:23:14 AM »

i know this sounds like hard work but it would be fun if the blocks fell and changed the shape of it as it went. you could start with a sealed level and then the walls start falling, opening up the sides, then maybe the floor caves in and after a while the ceiling starts to come down and blocks it back up etc. it would play more like 7 minutes and it would have that 'end of the world' theme

also, a message needs to appear whenever a player dies, thats got to be in there Smiley
Tye The Czar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 01, 2010, 07:36:36 AM »

Why does there need to be a Touhou stage? The series is known for its gameplay and its characters, not its locations.
disagree. Hakurei shrine and Scarlet Devil Manor are iconic places on the Touhou Universe, Plus all characters need their own stage (please don't talk about C. Falcon and SSB64...). also "Voile, the Magic Library" is one of the coolest themes of touhou and it cannot be placed in other place that is not the library !=/
Agreed Gentleman. But I've thought about having one single stage that periodically switched to various locations in Touhou's Gensokyo(stuff mentioned above, Eientei, Hakugyokurou , and others seen here: http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Locations)
What would set this stage apart from others would be the appearance of several mainstay characters who use their signature attacks(spellcards in-game).
Some of them would be:
Yukari Yakumo and her Boundary-based attacks(launching things through portals) including use of her Shikigami
Suika Ibuki launching miniature clones of herself, growing to be a stomping giant, and throwing bombs.
Yuyuko and her use of the Saigyo Ayakashi tree
Youmu's sword-based attacks
Reisen U. Inaba's.... well... mind-screwing attacks (hence her title of Lunatic Rabbit) seen here:

Sakuya Izayoi uses a combonation of time-stopping and infinite knife throwing.
Also, characters from the PC-98 Touhou games such as Mima, Shinki, Yumemi Okazaki,  and Yuka Kazami would work well.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:25:35 AM by Tye The Czar » Logged
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 01, 2010, 03:00:39 PM »

i know this sounds like hard work but it would be fun if the blocks fell and changed the shape of it as it went. you could start with a sealed level and then the walls start falling, opening up the sides, then maybe the floor caves in and after a while the ceiling starts to come down and blocks it back up etc. it would play more like 7 minutes and it would have that 'end of the world' theme

also, a message needs to appear whenever a player dies, thats got to be in there Smiley
Why does there need to be a Touhou stage? The series is known for its gameplay and its characters, not its locations.
disagree. Hakurei shrine and Scarlet Devil Manor are iconic places on the Touhou Universe, Plus all characters need their own stage (please don't talk about C. Falcon and SSB64...). also "Voile, the Magic Library" is one of the coolest themes of touhou and it cannot be placed in other place that is not the library !=/
Agreed Gentleman. But I've thought about having one single stage that periodically switched to various locations in Touhou's Gensokyo(stuff mentioned above, Eientei, Hakugyokurou , and others seen here: http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Locations)
What would set this stage apart from others would be the appearance of several mainstay characters who use their signature attacks(spellcards in-game).
Some of them would be:
Yukari Yakumo and her Boundary-based attacks(launching things through portals) including use of her Shikigami
Suika Ibuki launching miniature clones of herself, growing to be a stomping giant, and throwing bombs.
Yuyuko and her use of the Saigyo Ayakashi tree
Youmu's sword-based attacks
Reisen U. Inaba's.... well... mind-screwing attacks (hence her title of Lunatic Rabbit) seen here:

Sakuya Izayoi uses a combonation of time-stopping and infinite knife throwing.
Also, characters from the PC-98 Touhou games such as Mima, Shinki, Yumemi Okazaki,  and Yuka Kazami would work well.
*nosebleed* those are the greatest ideas EVARRRR!!!

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #776 on: July 01, 2010, 03:34:52 PM »

I'm convinced that a 7 Minutes stage is viable.

Tye, you pretty much proved my point about Touhou. Rather than suggesting a stage, you just suggested a bunch of support characters.

MaloEspada
« Reply #777 on: July 01, 2010, 11:32:31 PM »

Haha putting that many characters from Touhou in IB would be absurd.
I agree with Soulliard on the matter that there is no need for a Touhou stage. Furthermore, if we were doing one stage per character (which I believe we aren't?), it would take forever to release the game. There is no Nikujin Stage or Iji stage, as far as I know.
ink.inc
« Reply #778 on: July 01, 2010, 11:45:49 PM »

Oh, there is an Iji stage. But it'd take forever to accomplish, what with all the falling buildings and post-apocalyptic lighting. Plus lasers.
Apoz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 02, 2010, 02:13:14 AM »

Wow wow WOW. Dude. We MUST make an Iji stage. Didn't you listen to the music ? I'll kill myself if it's not included (and you wouldn't want to have that on your conscience, would you ?)
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 45
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic