Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:33:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Stage Design
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 45
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Stage Design  (Read 179821 times)
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 06, 2010, 11:16:52 AM »

I feel like we should get back to actually discussing stage design.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 06, 2010, 12:22:53 PM »

agree -.-
P.D.: Thanks for the tips Mokesmoe ^^

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #802 on: July 06, 2010, 07:48:01 PM »

hey i can talk like this and look smart, no?

i mean, look at phil fish. look at the damn fish.

he talks like this.

or like this.

not saying he is smart but, it's not like we call him dumb.

the secret is: try not to make your post look like a wall of text.

I talk like that too
@_@

I just have a thing for the enter button.

Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 07, 2010, 06:53:10 AM »

Well that shows you how good's the education is down here. Even if I watch a lot of English videos on youtube, I still have to learn a lot of things and rules about the English. [Or "the English language."] and Even if I do learn them, some things can't be translated easily. Shrug
Cheesy

You could also capitalize "youtube", but I'm not too fussed.
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 07, 2010, 05:37:30 PM »

I talk like that too
@_@

I just have a thing for the enter button.

It's not a new sentence till you double-tap that enter key!

Not unlike this, actually.

But yeah, we should get back on topic here.

Tye The Czar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 16, 2010, 07:35:30 AM »

I'm convinced that a 7 Minutes stage is viable.

Tye, you pretty much proved my point about Touhou. Rather than suggesting a stage, you just suggested a bunch of support characters.

???That's not really what I meant. Gensokyo's residents are much more recognizable than their locations, so depending on where the stage moves to in Gensokyo, a character from that location(Yuyuko or Youmu in the Netherworld, Marisa or Alice in the Forest of Magic, Reisen in Eientei) will pop up and fire a bullet pattern or two for the players to dodge. The transition from location to location could be done by Yukari Yakumo(http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Yukari) through her "gaps".
  I think the hardest thing to get right would be getting each Touhou character's signature bullet patterns or attacks (probably one per person to keep it simple. Wizard) balanced and while looking being faithful to their source material. Of course not all those characters' attacks need to be bullet patterns. Yukari, as I mentioned uses attacks via her gaps in the fighters; most notably this attack:

As you can see using moves from the fighters wouldn't be a bad idea at all. But I still find it a good idea for some characters to use lite danmaku patterns. Gentleman
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #806 on: July 16, 2010, 09:02:59 AM »

I think we've kind of been over this.
Touhou locations are not the focal point of their games, the characters are. And the characters require permissions we may or may not be able to get. And someone has to actually sprite them anyway.

It's not looking like they'll be getting in.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #807 on: July 16, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »

Permission isn't an issue, since if we can get permission for one character, we can get permission for them all.

Here's the real problem, Tye- not once in your suggestion did you describe a physical location or stage layout. You spent nearly the whole post describing characters and their attacks. If the characters stand out more than the locations, then they should be made into characters, not a stage! Each game has different features that stand out, and that content should be used in the way that makes the most sense, not shoehorned into a specific role.

That said, Touhou already has a main character and a support character. You really don't need more than that, since one Danmaku support character is enough, and spriting characters (even support characters) takes a lot of work.

Tye The Czar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 16, 2010, 05:44:11 PM »

I think we've kind of been over this.
Touhou locations are not the focal point of their games, the characters are. And the characters require permissions we may or may not be able to get. And someone has to actually sprite them anyway.

It's not looking like they'll be getting in.

ZUN is really lenient when it comes to using Touhou in fanworks. In fact, he's downright notable for it.

And, yes. I realized that I haven't even considered the layout or look of the stage would be like Embarrassed. But for starters, here's a list of some of the locations, despite the lack of really descrpitive pics(http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Locations). Playfield-wise, I'm thinking of a floating one with some platforms such as Meta Knight's or one of Fox's stages in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
   For the appearing characters, I suggest use really simple 2-to-3 frame sprites since their attacks are the ones that people will be looking at.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 16, 2010, 05:48:29 PM »

But Gensokyo can turn in something like Delfino Plaza on SSBB. even if Th already has a main character and a suportive character on the game there's a lot of characters that will be missed (Remilia, Sakuya, Meiling, etc.) and add them as suportives will fill the game with touhou.
As a touhou fan I feel ok with Reimu and Marisa but very sad about Meiling, Cirno and Youmu being missed so please think a bit about this  Beg

EDIT: oops Tye posted while i was tiping. I haven't played Meta Knight's stages and the only Fox stage I ever played is "Sector Z" but I think a Delfino Plaza style goes better with this idea Smiley
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:52:52 PM by -Frikman- » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: July 16, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »

The thing that made Delfino good was that it had notable and important locations. TOUHOU DOESN'T HAVE MEMORABLE LOCATIONS (to non-fans). You keep saying the stage should just have random characters, but that's NOT A VERY GOOD STAGE. It may be good CHARACTERS, but stages are meant to be about the PLACES of games.

Touhou WILL NOT be a good stage, guys.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 16, 2010, 07:01:31 PM »

Actually is Gensokyo not touhou, but hell. There's a lot of iconic places on touhou universe like Hakurei Shrine, Scarlet Devil Manor, Forest of Magic, Bamboo forest, Netherworld and so a bunch of other places  Lips Sealed but if those places doesn't mean anything for you or non-fans I think Marisa should be replaced by "Random Touhou Girl". That way other iconic Touhou characters can appear and we can skip fairys, tewis and those fuzzy white buddys (of course the number of girls can't be higher than 8 and the danmaku patterns will need to be simpler)

Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 16, 2010, 07:17:53 PM »

The most memorable thing about Touhou locations are the bullet patterns used by the fairies and such. The actual locations themselves are just something going on in the background that has no direct effect on the game. And most of the locations in Touhou aren't hugely visually distinct anyway. The most unusual-looking stages I can think of offhand are also not very iconic to the series (Hokkai, for instance). I mean, think of the fighting games. If you stuck Street Fighter characters into the stages, I doubt many people would even realize the backdrops were from Touhou.
Any idea that involves characters popping up and attacking the players would be wholly inappropriate for a fighting game like Indie Brawl. It would take too much attention away from the actual fighting to be fun, and would generally be a pain to make for such a meh idea.

EDIT: And one support character is enough. Reimu hasn't even been started on yet, adding more work seems like a bad idea. =/
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #813 on: July 16, 2010, 08:34:46 PM »

There's a lot of iconic places on touhou universe like Hakurei Shrine, Scarlet Devil Manor, Forest of Magic, Bamboo forest, Netherworld and so a bunch of other places
And yet they all appear in the games as a rectangle with a simple scrolling design in the background. If they appear in the games at all.

Those locations barely factor into Touhou at all, besides being mentioned in the backstory. Nor are they memorable- half of the places you mentioned are as generic as they come.

Compare the Touhou games to games like Aquaria, or Samorost, or Lyle in Cube Sector, or Noitu Love 2. These games have fantastic, unique locations and atmosphere that play a huge part in the game experience.

Touhou. Notable for its gameplay, characters and music. Not notable for its scenery. Not suitable for a stage.

Why are we still discussing this?  Lips Sealed

BoydTheMilkman
Level 0

My milk is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: July 20, 2010, 07:49:54 AM »

And now for something different:

A stage based on Machinarium?

May be neat, although I'm not sure how it would work.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:54:24 AM by BoydTheMilkman » Logged
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 20, 2010, 08:28:33 AM »

Machinarium was a beutiful game with an awesome soundtrack but i dunno how a stage based on it could work but surely the main protagonist of the game could work as a supportive (you did a lot of stuff on the game so  Roll Eyes)

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #816 on: July 20, 2010, 02:23:06 PM »

One Amanita Design stage is enough. I think Samorost would be better, since the shape of the island is instantly recognizable and would create some interesting, uneven terrain. Like Corneria.

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 21, 2010, 07:11:49 AM »

I forget, is there a cactus level being made (aside from Mondo Medicals?)?

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #818 on: July 21, 2010, 02:02:58 PM »

There's also Asia, which will feature elements from a number of different shmups.

Isn't two stages enough?

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 12, 2010, 08:54:15 AM »

Can we try and get ourselves a Limbo stage?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 45
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic