Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 11:59:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Stage Design
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Stage Design  (Read 181023 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #820 on: August 12, 2010, 06:52:15 PM »

I think that's a good idea.

I haven't played Limbo myself. How do you envision a Limbo stage?

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #821 on: August 12, 2010, 07:33:21 PM »

A series of slow and violent dark silhouetted hazards.
Maybe with a solemn figure walking by in the background every now and then.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #822 on: August 15, 2010, 08:08:35 PM »

I wouldn't call Limbo "iconic", exactly.
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 26, 2010, 06:28:58 PM »

What about a "And Yet It Moves" Stage?

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #824 on: August 26, 2010, 10:00:48 PM »

Maybe. It's got an interesting art style, at least. But from what I played, the locations are pretty generic.

zez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: August 26, 2010, 10:29:52 PM »

This might be a massive pain in the ass to implement (Im under the impression this is being done with game maker, and unfortunately have never used the program so I dont really know what is feasible and what isn't) buuut I think if you went with an "And yet it moves" stage, it would pretty much have to rotate, otherwise it would have absolutely nothing to do with the game and just be a generic cave.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #826 on: August 26, 2010, 10:49:19 PM »

Rotating shouldn't be a problem, but rotated pixel art usually looks bad, and I don't think we have rotating solid object support. We could have a mainly circular level with mostly non solid platforms though.

Something like this:

We could have it periodically rotate with some sort of warning. Anyone one on the ground would get moved with it, and anyone in mid air would not be affected.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 27, 2010, 09:07:32 AM »

Maybe. It's got an interesting art style, at least. But from what I played, the locations are pretty generic.
the first world would be the most iconic and recognizable i think Smiley.
Rotating shouldn't be a problem, but rotated pixel art usually looks bad, and I don't think we have rotating solid object support.
it just have to rotate 90ยบ wich is basically what an image viewer or even some mp4's can do. the transition between angles will maybe look bad but it will look fine at the end of the process. about the rotating solid objects i absolutely agree that it'll be a pain in the ass  Giggle

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #828 on: August 27, 2010, 04:18:15 PM »

But the first world was pretty much just grass, rock and trees. Nothing too memorable about that.

Rotating 90 degrees and once would look terrible, and at that point, we may as well not make the stage.

Rotating slowly would require significant changes to the engine.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #829 on: August 27, 2010, 05:30:13 PM »

My idea should't need any engine changes. It needs:
1: A rotating sprite. Not engine related, and we did it with death worm.
2: Curved platform. I think you said we can have uneven terrain.
3: Pushing people along the ground. I think we did that in the Chzo stage.
4: Moving non-solid platforms. We have moving platforms in other planned stages, and if it isn't in the engine, it should be.

We could have it rotate fast if we wanted because the rotation should only be periodic.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 27, 2010, 05:48:34 PM »

But the first world was pretty much just grass, rock and trees. Nothing too memorable about that.
i meant the starting stages that look like some sort of cave. sorry if i wasn't specific ^^U.
2: Curved platform. I think you said we can have uneven terrain
err i think i remember some comment from Soulliard about those kind of platforms on the "Outer Wall" stage and those comments weren't good =S

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #831 on: August 27, 2010, 06:38:50 PM »

err i think i remember some comment from Soulliard about those kind of platforms on the "Outer Wall" stage and those comments weren't good =S
He said solid platforms that turn into non-solid platforms are awkward. I'm talking about walking up slopes. Not related at all.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #832 on: August 27, 2010, 07:10:01 PM »

My idea should't need any engine changes. It needs:
1: A rotating sprite. Not engine related, and we did it with death worm.
2: Curved platform. I think you said we can have uneven terrain.
3: Pushing people along the ground. I think we did that in the Chzo stage.
4: Moving non-solid platforms. We have moving platforms in other planned stages, and if it isn't in the engine, it should be.

We could have it rotate fast if we wanted because the rotation should only be periodic.
All of your assumptions are correct. However, rotating platforms are much more complex than moving platforms. The movement a character would need to follow would be much more complex, and there would be a danger of characters getting stuck in walls or falling through platforms if it wasn't done thoroughly enough.

Sloped terrain is fine. Terrain with lots of tiny little walls or platforms is problematic because you can't walk across it, and instead need to jump. As a result, people don't stand on it much, and it doesn't factor into the battle.

As an example, take the 75m stage from SSBB. It's a huge stage, but most of the fighting tends to occur in the upper right corner, because that is the only place with a decently-sized flat space.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #833 on: August 27, 2010, 07:20:28 PM »

I assumed we could give them a horizontal speed with the same slope physics as when they walk up and down slopes. The stage I suggested is all circular, so the rotation should be as little a problem as possible. (The non-solid platforms should probably be curved too, or we could just not have them)
zez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 27, 2010, 10:14:28 PM »

if you have access to polarized points, character re-positioning would be pretty much pie. If you dont have access to polarized points however, you are pretty much shit out of luck as far as slow rotations go. Although, circular level design would be a way around that.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 29, 2010, 08:07:02 AM »

hmmmm not sure if there's already plans for adding this stage but how about a "Treasure Tower" stage? it would be a changing stage with 4-5 fight-able stages of the game + the giant treasure room as a rare bonus(where every treasure heals you 1 point).  Hand Thumbs Up Left?

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: September 22, 2010, 03:47:26 PM »

I had this idea on school today for a "Fallover" stage (if there's any plans for including one).

now i'll explain how some of the stuff works:
-where iji's standing are some of those tick sticks. they work as a simple platform (visual stuff)
-the money blocks works like bumpers, tossing far any character who touchs them. they spam randomly and spin every time they're activated.
-where BK is standing is supposed to be a pass-able platform, but making it a solid platform would be interesting too.
-the spikes....well, they're just spikes.
i think that's all. if you guys like the idea and if i've got some free time after tests or on the weekend i'll try to work on it =D

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #837 on: September 22, 2010, 06:35:20 PM »

I'm afraid I just don't see the point of a Fall Over stage. The environments were not very interesting, and they were clearly based on Mario either way.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 23, 2010, 02:34:36 PM »

because "Fallover" was an awesome game that featured a kick ass Gentleman and nobody cares. the background was based on Mario but the tiles were really sweet. i wasn't thinking of drawing the stage like a Mario stage (i was actually planing to draw a background were the grampa could pass and fall over), i was thinking on something sweeter, something more unique and interesting. at least let me try Sad

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #839 on: September 23, 2010, 02:53:23 PM »

Not every good game translates well into Indie Brawl.

Rom Check Fail, for example, is a personal favorite of mine, but it's completely inappropriate for Indie Brawl. It's impossible to include anything from the game without simultaneously referencing mainstream 80s games. It's a great game; it just doesn't work for Indie Brawl.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic