Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:07:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKILLGORE: (beatemup) ALPHA ready for testing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: KILLGORE: (beatemup) ALPHA ready for testing  (Read 18016 times)
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 10:06:20 PM »

As one of those crazy veggie types, I approve of this game.

KILLGORE, YOU WILL HAVE YOUR MEATY REVENGE.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 09:53:17 AM »

Shocked
HAHA! Get this done will ya!
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 12:33:06 PM »

Hey guys I finished a lot of assets for this game but I can't get anyone to code it... At the moment im attempting to finish up an older project called Spectrum of Violence.
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 01:48:09 AM »

Eh this game is coming back to life! Will post more details soon :D
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 12:09:37 PM »

I'm interested in helping, once I've got my game a bit further on which won't be long at all now..  Would also be up for sharing the coding with someone else/amongst a group of coders.

Nice concept it has to be said, and backed up by some very, very nice game assets so far.  How about a Damien Hurst/The Cell style cow section display case:

Smiley
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 12:12:40 PM by Barnaby Byrne » Logged
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 11:35:19 AM »

Hey thanks for the support dude! I think the last boss should have that display case in his office nyahahahaha!

anyways here are some of the new animations!

http://megaswf.com/view/f576e183e0bcabbe7270a8e997035293.html
yesfish
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 12:36:13 PM »

Just checking out your beatemup, it's got what my pile of crap didn't: character. I love the punch-headbutt-gun combo.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 12:43:41 PM »

Great work on the animation Joseph!  Very smooth and full of energy!  Is this done in flash?  If so im glad that your animation looks complete and doesnt look like alot of flash animations that come off looking lazy by just rotating limbs, etc.

Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 05:30:31 PM »

Just checking out your beatemup, it's got what my pile of crap didn't: character. I love the punch-headbutt-gun combo.

Maybe you need to find an animator or illustrator to help you out with that?

Great work on the animation Joseph!  Very smooth and full of energy!  Is this done in flash?  If so im glad that your animation looks complete and doesnt look like alot of flash animations that come off looking lazy by just rotating limbs, etc.

Thanks I'm really trying to make some high quality animation! And yeah its all animated in flash so there is a bit of symbol animation I just try my best to hide it hehe.

BTW the new coder put together a new WIP engine. Killgore can walk around and punch and thats about it haha!
yesfish
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 04:01:14 AM »

Maybe you need to find an animator or illustrator to help you out with that?
Actually, game development was a second choice to 3D animation. But animation depends on a story, and a story needs interesting, believable characters...

Characters are based on people you know right? Well I don't really know anyone - no amount of going out drinking with people has fixed that yet - I'm

, it's been said I've got the personality of a robot, and so do all my characters. |:
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 08:03:45 AM »

Yeah all of my characters are based on people I know or have seen or read about but also they exhibit some of my own personal characteristics. Sometimes I'm not even aware that they are behaving similar to me until someone else points it out Tongue

Killgore for instance started out as a Rambo parody, but I've been adding and subtracting stuff to make him his own bull.

Anyways Yesfish I suppose animation might not be your thing! The most talented animators tend to be a bit eccentric and unstable lol. Personally I try to go nuts when I animate :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 08:07:52 AM by Joseph » Logged
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 09:39:35 AM »

Nuts is good. I like, keep this project on the moove! Haha!.. cuz moo.. and the cows.. nvm.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 10:01:55 AM »

Game development needs more nutjobs.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 03:34:53 PM »

..an appropriate time for me to post again I think.   Durr...?

Seriously this is looking really promising; get it finished and I will play the absolute hell out of it!!!
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 09:11:46 PM »

We've got a basic movement engine and some background graphics. I think the next step is building up the combat engine and throwing in some baddies.

Right now me and the programmer are disagreeing on how to implement the machine gun.

I think the machine gun should be a secondary attack, you should be allowed to use the gun anytime. Of course there should be limitations: It takes 2 frames to draw the gun and 4 frames to put it away, you can't move while shooting, and you have to reload the gun after 20 or 30 shots, AND the reload animation lasts for 10 frames (BTW the game is currently running at 24 fps). My reasoning is that the gun is part of his character and it would be kick ass to use it in combos. Uppercut someone into the air, start blasting them Devil May Cry style! No holding back!

The programmer wants the machine gun to be limited to a power-up. He wants the machine gun scattered around the stages and once you pick it up there is a timer or ammo limit or something. His reasoning is he wants a quick "KICK SOME ASS" mode. If we hold back on the machine gun, it'll just make it that much more awesome when you do actually get to use it.

Were both pretty passionate about it so I can't see how were going to resolve this. Hopefully the issue will resolve itself!
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 09:37:24 PM »

The programmer wants the machine gun to be limited to a power-up. He wants the machine gun scattered around the stages and once you pick it up there is a timer or ammo limit or something. His reasoning is he wants a quick "KICK SOME ASS" mode. If we hold back on the machine gun, it'll just make it that much more awesome when you do actually get to use it.
Third weapon?

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 01:26:48 AM »

Yeah he refuses to expand on the shooting mechanic, he thinks its too many buttons blah blah blah here's some art!

yesfish
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 02:52:16 AM »

I have to disagree with both of you there, the machine gun should be the limited special attack - when you need to take down a lot of enemies, or save it for that really hard boss.

But you gotta put it at the end of some combos! Not called on by the player, but automatically. Streets of rage/golden axe only had one attack button but the players always did something interesting.

Wakka-wakka-chuk-chuk-THUD "AAAHHHHH!"
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2009, 03:52:45 AM »

I have to disagree with both of you there, the machine gun should be the limited special attack - when you need to take down a lot of enemies, or save it for that really hard boss.

But you gotta put it at the end of some combos! Not called on by the player, but automatically. Streets of rage/golden axe only had one attack button but the players always did something interesting.

Wakka-wakka-chuk-chuk-THUD "AAAHHHHH!"

hmmm I'd be happy with that even! BUT I'd be happier if you were allowed to use projectile attacks at your own discretion. My big influence on this is Capcom's Aliens vs Predator arcade game. There was an attack button, jump button, and a shoot button. If you press shoot+standard attack you get a Get Out of Jail card where they are temporarily invincible and take out almost everything on screen.
Also Devil May Cry is inspiration for blending melee with gunplay.

Why not go balls out and give the player freedom to choose when he/she wants to use the gun? You can keep enemies at bay with projectiles and then close the distance and bash them with melee attacks! Or launch them into the air and float them with bullets! Or do some crazy aerial attacks and then gore them with your horns! The possibilities would be endless!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:57:41 AM by Joseph » Logged
shig
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2009, 04:14:46 AM »

It depends a lot on the rest of the gameplay. The infinite bullets thing only worked in Devil May Cry because the guns were really secondary and you could make potentially endless combos.

If you have a more traditional Final Fight-like gameplay, with more limited combos and movement it might be better to have the machinegun as the Get Out of Jail card and you could collect magazines laying around or something.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic