Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:26:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKILLGORE: (beatemup) ALPHA ready for testing
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: KILLGORE: (beatemup) ALPHA ready for testing  (Read 18015 times)
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2009, 06:03:21 AM »

if your programmer really wants a "kick ass mode" maybe you should add a flamethrower or bazooka or chainsaw as a pickup.  That way both of you win. win-win situation.

Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2009, 08:04:26 AM »

It depends a lot on the rest of the gameplay. The infinite bullets thing only worked in Devil May Cry because the guns were really secondary and you could make potentially endless combos.

If you have a more traditional Final Fight-like gameplay, with more limited combos and movement it might be better to have the machinegun as the Get Out of Jail card and you could collect magazines laying around or something.

Yeah I hear yah. My logic for the infinite ammo is he's wearing a military vest with a bunch of compartments full of bullets so why not make ammo infinite? AND combos wouldn't been infinite cuz you still have to reload.
Also why would belts of machinegun ammo be just laying around in a meat factory? Maybe I could justify it by making some ALF (animal liberation front) people hiding around the factory trying to help you out but its kinda been done to death in Metal Slug...

if your programmer really wants a "kick ass mode" maybe you should add a flamethrower or bazooka or chainsaw as a pickup.  That way both of you win. win-win situation.

I already suggested this but the coder thinks 4 buttons will ruin the game :/ I think this is ludicrous but he just won't budge on that point.

I'm really stressing out about this! I just want to resolve the issue already!
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2009, 08:08:13 AM »

Why not have the kick ass weapon replace the gun till you run out of ammo?

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2009, 08:17:37 AM »

That would be cool, but tell it to the programmer haha! I need him to check this forum out!
shig
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2009, 08:50:32 AM »

You don't need a four button. Make it Attack + shoot or jump + shoot or something for the instant death gun.
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2009, 03:44:49 PM »

OH sorry let me explain that better! The coder wants the controls to be Melee, Jump, and Guard and then the machine gun is a limited powerup you find scattered throughout the game.
My suggestion was to make the controls Melee, Shoot, Jump, and Guard and then the powerup would be some third weapon. One of his objections to my idea is that 4 buttons would be too many for a flash game. It should be more "casual" as he says.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2009, 03:56:31 PM »

He looks so badass... it's AWESOME.

I would mix the melee and shoot metal-slug style (melee happens if you're near an enemy, otherwise shoot)
Guard could also be something like crouching, but while guarding/crouching you can't move.

That way you have movement and shoot/jump ("2 buttons").

Working on HeliBrawl
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2009, 04:26:33 PM »

He looks so badass... it's AWESOME.

I would mix the melee and shoot metal-slug style (melee happens if you're near an enemy, otherwise shoot)
Guard could also be something like crouching, but while guarding/crouching you can't move.

That way you have movement and shoot/jump ("2 buttons").

Hey thats a GREAT idea! I'll run that by the coder!
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2009, 05:08:10 PM »

Smiley

Working on HeliBrawl
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2009, 12:15:15 PM »

I'm really happy to see this making some really good progress, and some good design choices being made.

One idea I thought was having a chainsaw on the machine gan, a-la Gears of War?  Maybe too much though.

Still, looking great.  Nice work   Grin
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:58:24 PM by Barnaby Byrne » Logged
shig
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2009, 01:19:43 PM »

No.

Chainsaw Horns.

Chainsaw Horns.
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »

Ahhaaha, lmfao, now that's bloodthirsty enough for me.

Chainsaw Horns indeed Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 06:00:16 PM by Barnaby Byrne » Logged
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2009, 04:59:06 PM »

Provided the game is fairly combo based, I'm for explicit shoot and melee keys. Otherwise you're not going to be able to mix and match them in the middle of a combo. Imagine something like this:
grab + launch (melee at close range + up)
fire at enemy in mid air (up + shoot)
jump up to juggled enemy (jump)
slam enemy (melee + left / right)

Random Idea:
This seems like a fast paced game. It might be neat to reward skillful players by allowing them to do combos which involve a reload, reducing downtime. For instance if you have around 1/3 of a clip left, you could fire it point blank into an enemy, then grab him and jump into the air while reloading, then do a set of melee attacks in the air.

If, on the other hand, you really want to simplify your controls, I could see something Golden Axe style working.  There's still a lot of room for fun strategy within a simplified combo system.

You two should work your differences out; don't let it get in the way of your collaboration! This game seems like it has the potential to be pretty fun.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2009, 05:23:53 PM »

I can understand how this must be a frustrating situation for you.  Maybe in the end you should just flip a coin, that would end the fighting.  Flipping a coin can sometimes be really positive if neither of you will budge on your side and both agree to flipping the coin then nobody feels like theyve been overpowered, it was just the luck of the draw.  Just an idea.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:26:59 PM by Caliber9 » Logged

BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2009, 06:03:07 PM »

I'd vote for a fast pace of play with 2 main buttons, like Final Fight i.e. with expendible weaponry that lasts only for a while.

Special moves also drain a little energy in Final Fight causing you to hesiate or think twice before unleashing fury.

The balance of selectable characters works great in co-op on Final Fight, but no need to compare every aspect of your game, maybe just the fight mechanics?  If not, model the mechanics on Streets of Rage, Double Dragon, Kung Fu Master, or any classic side scrolling beat em up that you deem worthy to draw inspiration from.

Wink
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2009, 11:34:53 PM »

Wow thanx for all the feedback guys!

No.

Chainsaw Horns.

Chainsaw Horns.

hahaha plain old horns aren't enough for you? have you seen photos of matadors getting horned up the ass?

Provided the game is fairly combo based, I'm for explicit shoot and melee keys. Otherwise you're not going to be able to mix and match them in the middle of a combo. Imagine something like this:
grab + launch (melee at close range + up)
fire at enemy in mid air (up + shoot)
jump up to juggled enemy (jump)
slam enemy (melee + left / right)

Random Idea:
This seems like a fast paced game. It might be neat to reward skillful players by allowing them to do combos which involve a reload, reducing downtime. For instance if you have around 1/3 of a clip left, you could fire it point blank into an enemy, then grab him and jump into the air while reloading, then do a set of melee attacks in the air.

If, on the other hand, you really want to simplify your controls, I could see something Golden Axe style working.  There's still a lot of room for fun strategy within a simplified combo system.

You two should work your differences out; don't let it get in the way of your collaboration! This game seems like it has the potential to be pretty fun.

Yeah those are the sorts of combos I was envisioning basically Smiley

Well I agree with the coder that the controls should be simple. I just want the combo system to be a bit more flexible and leave room for experimentation. However we had some discussion recently and I think we're coming close to a compromise on this. Someway to combine long range and short range attacks while still keeping it simple and also having those 'kick ass mode' moments he wants. I'll let you guys know what we come up with!

Thanks again for all the feedback!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 11:41:35 PM by Joseph » Logged
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2009, 01:19:25 PM »

Playing around with grenade launchers.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/290709/51516_killgoretest_Scene_5.php
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2009, 09:33:26 PM »

Lol!! Awesome animation you've done. A few more of those and you'll be well on the way content wise; best of luck while you do.

I want to play it now after seeing that Hand Any Key
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2009, 10:46:46 PM »

I'm actually way ahead on content. I made a lot of animation when Killgore used to be a Metalslug style shooter, then I met up with a new coder and he suggested turning it into a beatemup. I've been mostly reworking existing animations, adding a couple news. The coder is trying to catch up to me now Tongue
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2009, 09:25:17 AM »

Bad news! The programmer lost interest in the project so its now on hiatus. I've done a lot of animation for the game. Killgore is pretty much done:

Completed Killgore animation:
stand
walk
step forward
step back
run
run attack
slide
combo atk 1
combo atk 2
combo atk 3
up attack
forward attack
down attack
back attack
jump
jmp attack
jmp up attack
jmp forward attack
jmp down attack
jmp back attack
grab attempt
clinch
clinch attack
throw
guard
machine gun
emergency attack

Heres the last animation I did:
http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/300709/36100_killgoretest_Scene_4.php

and heres the last prototype made by Eli (the guy who made Spewer):
http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/300709/36100_killgoretest_Scene_4.php

SO if anyone around has a prototype for a beatemup and they are looking for an artist OR if anyone wants to build one for this project please contact me! Im willing to take 40-30 percent of revenue if this turns out a flash game. If it gets made in another language we can negotiate!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:01:36 AM by Joseph » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic