Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411664 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 05:57:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsArchive, Memoria Technica
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Archive, Memoria Technica  (Read 3689 times)
RandyOrenstein
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »

Well, first up this isn’t the first dev log for this game, but it’s the first on TIG, so yay!

My name is Randy, and my team and I are in Toronto, Canada, and have been working on this game for over a year now. It is our first game, and started as a student project. Its going well, but I would love to get feedback from anyone who wants to give it!

Archive is an arcadey top down dual-stick shooter, into which we have tried to build some tower-defense elements. We are building it in Unity, which is a bucket of magic wrapped in sparkles and chocolate, and using a 3DS Max, Photoshop, and Maya for the assets.

The story is based loosely on the Baghavad Gita, a Hindu text that is about 2k years old, and deals with the nature of self, death, and the ethics of both. How does that work with robots blowing each other up? Hopefully when the game is done that question will seem so obvious you will slap people who ask it. Or not. . .

Right now we are pushing to get a build ready to submit to the IGF, so wish us luck! Main goal is to complete and polish the shit out of our tutorial level, which is currently in pieces but almost ready to be lego’d together. Main holdup is our desire to use as little text as possible, but the complexity of how a couple of the systems work is making that really tricky.

We are building two main gameplay modes, a narratively driven campaign of 9 levels, and an infinite wave gauntlet linked to competitive high score tables and the like.

If you want to know a bit more about our development to date you can also check out our previous dev blog here: http://randyorenstein.wordpress.com/

Also, if you are really masochistic you can follow me on twitter for more updates: @randyorenstein, or the game @archivethegame
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:06:57 PM by RandyOrenstein » Logged

Please follow me @randyorenstein
And my game @archivethegame
And check out my LIVE indiegogo at http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/archive-the-game
cragwind
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 02:51:41 PM »

The idea of the 'towers' moving with the ship and being part of its directional arsenal was new to me. Unique premise as well. Lots of vibrant color!

I was initially a bit overwhelmed by what was on screen during the planning phase, possibly because the strong colors were too vibrant and nothing stood out strongly enough.

The radial menu was pretty slick, but it may be daunting for a beginner to see all those options appearing upon placement of a turret. The immediately-opening menu felt somewhat nonstandard (maybe I'm used to right-click context menus?), but I can't think of any better option off the top of my head. Also, the disabled button appearance wasn't immediately obvious to me, which goes back to the vibrant colors.

I didn't play long enough to get into the upgrades/AI/etc, but my feeling is that it might be worth introducing those individual options one at a time. That way, you can reward the player with new choices and also avoid overwhelming the player at the beginning by providing too many choices. Maybe initially you would do the very simplest thing -- place a single kind of turret.

You might consider putting this in the feedback forum, since you've completed something substantial that folks can comment on. Make sure it's obvious that it's a playable Unity web demo.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:57:25 PM by gears » Logged

RandyOrenstein
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! We are currently working out our tutorial, which is going to introduce things a bit more sedately. Right now I don't know if we are going to gate the upgrades in the narrative, but I agree it would make for a good feeling of reward.

And check out my LIVE indiegogo at http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/archive-the-game
RandyOrenstein
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 07:44:39 PM »

Today I have been working on background assets for our various levels. I am super pleased with this most recent one. . . it is just so damn pretty. And the animation is neat too.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:07:29 PM by RandyOrenstein » Logged

Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 09:38:31 PM »

Today I have been working on background assets for our various levels. I am super pleased with this most recent one. . . it is just so damn pretty. And the animation is neat too.

Let us see it then!

Tried the demo. Real slick. However, visibility of the crosshair is abysmal when things get busy. Seconding all gears' criticisms.
RandyOrenstein
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 06:05:27 AM »

I hope to be able to, some time this month. We are working away on the tutorial level which will be intro-ing the various mechanics slowly, and come hell or high water we will be posting up a new build by the end of October, complete with tutorial and the first boss of the game Smiley

On an *ahem* possibly related note, any suggestions for how to prep up a submission for the IGF student category?

RandyOrenstein
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:34:46 AM »

Hey All!
Sorry to have been a bit scant on posts lately, we are mainly pushing along with the tutorial, so its all slow and incremental. However, we have designed the first boss and its looking pretty neat, so here is a sneak peek, before we get the thing animated and shooting at you:

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:07:52 PM by RandyOrenstein » Logged

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »

Played the demo - didn't have much idea what I was meant to be doing at first, but it's real purty and I like the way you can position and build your own weaponry.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Pixelmixer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »

Fantastic looking game guys! I am curious, I'm working on a space game with a top-down sort of perspective like yours and I'm wondering how you guys were able to solve the issue of not being able to see outside of the camera's area of view? In a true 3D game there would be a perspective that would let you see far in the distance, but for 2D space games this isn't possible. I'm just curious if you guys ran into that problem and if so, how were you able to fix it?
RandyOrenstein
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »

Because our camera is locked to a target (normally the player) and all of the action in the game is on a fixed plane, perspective has not been an issue for us at all, except factoring in the design of the backgrounds for the levels.

I would suggest using backgrounds and liberal fog to reduce the spoiler factor if your enemies are coming in out of the background, but besides that I cant offer too much Smiley

Hope that is at least vaguely helpful!

Randy

RandyOrenstein
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 10:18:33 AM »

Hey folks!

It has been an eternity since I last updated this dev blog, but here I am, back from PAX and GDC, and filled with ideas and feedback.

First up, the latest build of the game is having issues exporting to a web player build, so hopefully we will have the latest demo up and running on our site asap, but it isn’t there yet.

The game has taken a few stylistic turns since the last iteration, and is looking really pretty, and also much more readable for the player. We have gone through yet another round of UI redesigning and simplification, and it seems we have hit a really good balance between functionality and readability. Moving some functions to hover over mouse-overed turrets is making a big difference, and adding some more mouse cursor icons will make a further difference I think.

Overall progress on the game is at a bit of a stop in terms of level building, as we await a couple major physics tweaks that will make terrain possible in the game. Having strategic map construction in addition to some newly tweaked enemy ai’s and some brand new enemies is going to bring a whole new level of play to the game, one that many other designers said was lacking during testing.

We are getting ever closer to actually capping the game off, however, which feels great. Just need some more dedicated time from the programmers and animator, and then its all down to building the levels.

I will post as soon as the new build is online,
thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:52:06 PM by RandyOrenstein » Logged

RandyOrenstein
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 06:25:52 PM »

Getting the indiegogo together has taken some doing, but I gotta say, so far totally worth it! The support we have been getting is amazing, and I cant wait to see how it will turn out in the end.

Most of my time and energy has been put into planning and executing stuff that is indiegogo related latey, so work on the game itself has been quasi-paused since we are all working on the campaign.

However, our next big milestone is to get a new demo ready to show the game at Bento Miso’s BitBazaar on December 7th (https://bentomiso.com/bit-bazaar-winter-market-2013).

In my perfect world the demo will have our new AI enemy spawning system up and running smooth, so it should be crazy fun to replay! I just have to decide if its going to have a specific end, or just get harder and harder till you die… hrm…

If you want to see where we have got to, and play the game itself, make sure you stop by!

rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 03:40:13 PM »

I'm getting "Error 404 - Not found" when I click on the demo link.  Maybe that's because I'm on a Mac?  It seems odd that the Unity webplayer isn't working on Mac.

RandyOrenstein
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 03:53:20 PM »

Thank you for the feedback mate! Forgot to take that link down once the site went offline. For folks who are looking for a taste of gameplay, please check out our trailer and pitch video on our indiegogo campaign! (Link Below)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic