Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:11:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsImpossible isometric levels
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Impossible isometric levels  (Read 16094 times)
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 02:48:35 AM »

Without some meaning to the slopes, it might as well just be a flat maze. I like the idea, and the fact that the slopes have a cardinal direction (which they wouldn't if you flattened the map) might be meaning enough.

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 08:57:46 AM »

Visually, didn't they do something like that in Diablo 2? Having gravity matter will make all the difference though.

I've never seen it in Diablo, but since I did my research I know that it's true because wikipedia says so Wink.

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 09:19:03 AM »

It's a great idea! Echochrome is the closest I've seen to this, and yet it's still different. Will you make some manner of level editor? I'd love to play with one.

When I came up with the idea I searched the web to see if someone else had already done it. And Echochrome is indeed the closest thing that I found. But as far as I know using the isometric tiles for the optic illusion hasn't been done before. I think that's strange because the technology already allowed this since early arcade games, but hey, I'm not complaining Wink.

Unfortunately there won't be an editor in the first release. I'm currently putting all my energy in finishing the game. But an editor is probably coming afterwards. Some of my friends made some levels for the game, and they seemed to love creating those Smiley (using the non-userfriendly one that I use myself...)

Tobasco Panda
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »

You should check out an old Sega Genesis game called Landstalker. They to some really amazing (eg: bastardly) tricks with isometric perspective.
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 10:13:32 AM »

Some of you were wondering how the gameplay would look... well... I just released a gameplay preview video on the website (and some more info). Let me know what you think Smiley!

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 10:18:22 AM »

Sweeeeet. When can we expect some sort of public release?
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 10:40:48 AM »

That looks pretty damn cool.  I had my doubts about the whole game mechanic, but you seem to have made it work much better than I imagined it.

tweet tweet @j_younger
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 10:44:54 AM »

Sweeeeet. When can we expect some sort of public release?

I hope to release it by the end of this year Smiley.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »

Looks very promising Smiley I cant' say I enjoy prerendered 3D-graphics, but it still looks cool. Some parallax backgrounds and voilá

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 10:47:45 AM »

Freeware or commercial? Smiley

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 10:48:39 AM »

That looks pretty damn cool.  I had my doubts about the whole game mechanic, but you seem to have made it work much better than I imagined it.

Thanks! I first wanted to make a puzzle game, but since I'm not much of a puzzler myself, I ended up with this...

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 10:55:50 AM »

Freeware or commercial? Smiley

Commercial. That's probably not what some of you like to hear, but I would love to make a living out of this Smiley.

Zaphos
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »

The game looks like it's turning out pretty well Smiley

The tile set definitely isn't easy on the eyes, though ... it's so ... brown, and oddly detailed.  A simpler, cartoon-like look might fit a lot better with the style of game, and be nicer to look at.
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 12:12:43 PM »

Some of you were wondering how the gameplay would look... well... I just released a gameplay preview video on the website (and some more info). Let me know what you think Smiley!

At first glance it reminds one scene from Twinsen's Oddysey.

Nekura
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2008, 07:26:37 PM »

How is that an impossible structure?  It's just like the road I used to take to get to school...  Wink

It does look cool, though.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 09:54:29 PM »

I really like the idea, and the execution so far looks great.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put a character in the cart. Have them lean out the side around corners, hover out over drops, and hoot'n'holler the whole time. Life makes games lively.
ChevyRay
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 10:14:35 PM »

You should check out an old Sega Genesis game called Landstalker. They to some really amazing (eg: bastardly) tricks with isometric perspective.
Arg that game was hard.

Awesome tho, if not sort of a Zelda copy. You're right though, it's a good study if you were looking for tricky iso puzzles.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2008, 12:22:00 AM »

It's looking pretty good! I like the mechanics. Looks like it could comfortably be a single-button game. I'm not too fond of the aesthetics, though; as someone mentioned, it's a tad too brown.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2008, 12:59:47 AM »

It looks like any old game that I played during my childhood, and I love it.

increpare
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2008, 01:16:33 AM »

I've been thinking about this game.  When I saw the video I was initially quite disappointed; the game mechanics seemed to be not especially original, and very much part of the lineage of what now people tend to call casual puzzle games.  Mechanics-wise, it might as well be a maze game with certain arrow tiles that you can only move over in one direction.  HOWEVER, I've come to terms with it thus:  what's important to me is not the mechanic, but rather the fact that you've managed to subsume all of these elements (movement-restricting arrows, &c.) into the geometry of the game, via some sort of naturalization process.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 01:20:03 AM by increpare » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic