Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:05:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPixel Champions: A retro indie free to play 2D MMORPG.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Champions: A retro indie free to play 2D MMORPG.  (Read 50660 times)
Fleury
Level 0

Pixel Champions Developer

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2012, 09:07:10 PM »

Pixel Champions is a free-to-play highly pixelated massively multiplayer online role-playing game set in a tile-based 2D world. It features item enchanting, optional PvP, and infinite character progression (there's no level cap). Pixel Champions is available on Windows and Mac OS X.

Official Website
Contains a guide of all items and monsters, a map of the world, and a forum!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:37:30 PM by Fleury » Logged

Looking for a retro 2D MMORPG? Check out Pixel Champions! [official site, facebook page]
Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 09:48:43 PM »

September 22 - Graphics Updates
The chain legs and golden legs looked really bad (they had been done by me, not very well). I asked one of my artists to look into redoing the equipment, and this was the result.  Shocked

Looking for a retro 2D MMORPG? Check out Pixel Champions! [official site, facebook page]
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 11:53:04 PM »

Not exactly 8 bit, but it looks nice Smiley

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:02:10 AM »

Yup, I've received alot of feedback (on Reddit) over my choice of using "8bit" to describe the pixelated feel of the game rather than the color depth. I'm actively considering changing the name.  Facepalm

Uykered
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 12:28:27 AM »

Good idea, the name doesn't sound serious. I like the new sprites too!
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 04:58:52 AM »

At a push you could say its a PC Engine era game to get around the 8bit issue (from memory it was 8bit but near to megadrive/genesis quality) - but yeah a more fitting/inspiring name might be better.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 05:55:21 AM »

Those new sprites look very good compared to the old ones
Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 05:47:59 AM »

Wrote a user friendly auto-updater that works across Windows/Linux/OSX Well, hello there!

Performs downloading/updating all automatically and presents the results as a character saying the words. Even the water is animated, just as it is in-game.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 07:11:22 AM »

Wow. Nice.

Could you please share some technical details on this?

1. Language / Tool used
2. Do you run the server on something like cloud server (http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/public/servers/pricing/ ?) or something like HTTP  Shocked?
3*. What librar(y)/(ies) are you using for networking?

Thanks Smiley

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 08:09:18 AM »

Thanks  Smiley

The language used is C#. The entire project is done in the express editions of Visual Studio. I run the server on a GoDaddy Virtual Dedicated Server. The networking is my own creation (I used only what was provided in the .NET Framework).

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 06:04:10 AM »

September 28 - Name Change + Launcher
By popular request, I've renamed the game (to remove references to "8bit"). The game is now called Pixel Champions. Inaddition, I've released the game-client launcher, which automatically checks & updates the game client upon launch.  Cheesy

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 02:30:22 PM »

October 1, 2012 - Build 213 Released  Waaagh!

Change Log
  • Removed the shielding bonus penality for equipping a two-handed weapon (this includes bows).
  • Raised the base stats of two-handed weapons.
  • Merged club skill and club weapons into axe skill and axe weapons.
  • Added legendary text to magical sword and dragonslayer axe.
  • Added diagnostic logging to game-server to help diagnose server freezes.
  • Added wands for the mage class (to replace scrolls). Wands require a book in hand to invoke.

The Rookie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »

Like the new name! I will definitely try this out when I have the time! Keep it up!!

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 12:44:06 AM »

Reddit, IndieDB, Twitter, Wikia, and YouTube. Go go social media Shrug

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 01:52:32 AM »

Yeah.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 02:27:54 AM »

1. Love the new title. Stick with it.

2. Pacing needs to be stepped up. Like, 2-2.5x the pace it is now. I feel like my characters are crawling everywhere they go.

3. Seems a little on the grind-heavy side, especially for levels 10 and below. Cash vs. goods balance in the early game feels totally out of whack, and starting with $0 doesn't help that any. At least allowing them affordability for one equipment would give players a starting identity of choice to work with; and it's far better than a "choose a starting item" thing.

4. One critical level design flaw in the early game (especially where 3-4 pointer enemies show up) is a lack of one-tile-wide corridors or tactical options like that. Sure, they're kind of boring sometimes, but they're a critical vantage point that players of these kinds of games often use to keep themselves from getting gangbanged from 4 directions at once (and you know, clearly failing at that point).

5. Good, honest framework though; and never experienced any netlag. Solid tiling, movement, collision, with no breakable anomalies I've found yet. Progression makes total sense, and the game isn't a dick about it. Stick with it, you'll get there!

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 01:21:28 PM »

Great new name Smiley

Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 04:05:27 PM »

Just shamelessly bumping this Cheesy. But seriously this game is great, bought it and currently at around level 50, fun and addictive and a friendly active community.

Yes it is mainly grind but I think more varied things are being added (like group events or repeatable quests), correct me if I'm wrong Fleu?
Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »

October 7, 2012 - Build 214 Released  Ninja
  • Minor search engine optimization (SEO) tweaks to the website.
  • Added social media links to the library, although they are mostly empty right now.
  • Website no longer lists the removed 'Club' skill.
  • The weakest axe weapon, 'club', is now called 'plank' ingame (to match website's description).
  • Renamed 'shields' skill to 'defense' skill (since a shield isn't required to train it).
  • Raised the respawn time of skeletons, ghouls, and ghosts to 1,3,5 minute(s) respectively.
  • Ghouls armor lowered from 'Light' to 'None' to match what had been listed on website.
  • Removed the 'Difficulty' rating on the vocation selection panel.
  • Fixed VIP list chopping off lines of the listbox after it exceeds 75 lines.
  • Chests on novice island no longer drop faded fireball scrolls.
  • The novice island crawler chest now awards 15 fire arrows rather than 15 wooden arrows.
  • Upgrade page is now a little clearer on the benefits of upgrading.
  • The 'Service Agreement' page has been updated to be more specific of our policy on user generated content (UGC) and UGC distribution.
  • The emoticon ':|' can now also be typed as ':I'.
  • The emoticon '^3' is now typed as '^^'.
  • The emoticon '^^' is now typed as '^|'
  • Removed one of the black widows from the black widow dungeon; it should now be more likely that a player who decides to flee can do so successfully.
  • Added further diagnostic logging to game-server to help diagnose server freezes.
  • Added status text messages to the camera screen for item protection and combat logging.
  • Minimap now indicates the user's location with a + sign.
  • Fixed a bug wherein requirements (arrows/hp) were not subtracted from a player if 0 dmg was done by the attack.
  • Periodic shutdown notices for server updates are now handled automatically by the game server.
  • For better OSX (mac) compatibility, Control+LeftClick now makes a RightClick.
  • Following a player is now performed using Shift+Rightclick.

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 05:05:57 PM »

Hi baconman! Thanks for the feedback.  Grin

2. Pacing needs to be stepped up. Like, 2-2.5x the pace it is now. I feel like my characters are crawling everywhere they go.

Initially, a character's walking speed is slow, but it increases each time you gain a level. There are also some items in the game (Ghostly Boots, for example) that can increase your walking speed.

3. Seems a little on the grind-heavy side, especially for levels 10 and below. Cash vs. goods balance in the early game feels totally out of whack, and starting with $0 doesn't help that any. At least allowing them affordability for one equipment would give players a starting identity of choice to work with; and it's far better than a "choose a starting item" thing.

Basic equipment is pretty cheap to purchase from shop keepers in the starting town; leather armor costs only 10 gold, leather legs 8 gold, a small sword 5 gold, etc. A full leather set can be purchased for just 32 gold. Just smashing a few barrels (for apples, which sell for a gold each) and selling the 'Game Controls' scroll that you start off with (for 5 gold), can quickly get you that much gold. In addition to that, every monster in the game will either drop gold or an item that sells for gold.

I'd like to avoid starting the player off with gold. For instance, if a player started off with 25 gold, they could just keep recreating their character (tossing the gold on the ground each time) until they had maxed out their backpack capacity in gold (roughly 6000 gold).

4. One critical level design flaw in the early game (especially where 3-4 pointer enemies show up) is a lack of one-tile-wide corridors or tactical options like that. Sure, they're kind of boring sometimes, but they're a critical vantage point that players of these kinds of games often use to keep themselves from getting gangbanged from 4 directions at once (and you know, clearly failing at that point).

One-tile-wide corridors in a grid based MMO, where players cannot walk through eachother, is a blueprint for disaster. I've seen players try to funnel through such corridors on other games, and it usually results in trapping (or in the case of PvP) unnecessary player killing. The lack of one-tile-wide corridors is completely intentional.

Having said that, however, you can push destructible objects (such as barrels, crates, and statues) to form corridors that will funnel monsters (just know that other players can destroy these objects, if you try to block them). 

5. Good, honest framework though; and never experienced any netlag. Solid tiling, movement, collision, with no breakable anomalies I've found yet. Progression makes total sense, and the game isn't a dick about it. Stick with it, you'll get there!

Tears of Joy

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic