Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:07:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPixel Champions: A retro indie free to play 2D MMORPG.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Champions: A retro indie free to play 2D MMORPG.  (Read 50642 times)
Kinasin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 11:57:58 AM »

Holy fuck this is epic.  Wizard
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2012, 02:01:43 PM »

ikr kinasin :D
hes quite good, ill admit.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Fleury
Level 0

Pixel Champions Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2012, 02:10:53 PM »

November 8, 2012 - Build 220 Released  Hand Money Left Hand Money Right
  • F1,F2,F3 can now be used to invoke the action panel buttons.
  • Fixed a bug where dragging items from the equipment panel to depot panel could sometimes cause the item to be split and/or placed in a random location of the depot.
  • You can now use items from the depot.
  • The crawler dungeon treasure room now has lots of Orcs in it.

Looking for a retro 2D MMORPG? Check out Pixel Champions! [official site, facebook page]
Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »

- The downloaded EXE is only 100 kb, but when launched it magically installs the game... to where? I have no idea where the files went. Not good.

That's actually the same way Minecraft's launcher works, which was the inspiration for my launcher. The game files are downloaded to "%AppData%/PixelChampions".

- Is captcha really necessary when registering from the game client?
- Is it really necessary to have BOTH captcha and e-mail activation??

This has been something I've been pondering about ever since implementing it. E-mail activation (without blacklisting whole domains like Mailinator(and its numerous aliases)) would seem pretty useless. But there's other reasons for it, such as preventing a user from leveling a character on an accidentally mistyped email-address, and then being unable to use any account services as a result.

- When finally logged in, I discover the game client uses 100% CPU. I can barely type in Notepad while the game is running.
- When I clicked the "global" chat button, the game client froze for 10-15 seconds. When I clicked "local" again, it froze again.

No that's not normal, the game client uses minimal CPU/GPU and can run on my little sister's netbook. Can you email me at [email protected] with some information about your computer, make/model OS CPU GPU?

- No sound at all?
(here, I gave up. The game was absolutely unplayable. I went to your website to try leave some feedback)
- No link to the forum in the menu?
- Can't sign in to the forum because I haven't UPGRADED my account??
I think you need to address these issues if you wanna have a successful game. I wish I could leave some feedback on the actual gameplay, but I never even got so far as to play it.

The forum is quite basic, and not really suited for technical support. It's better to write to me at [email protected] for this sort of thing than posting it there.

I've been considering adding sound, but unless the sound is really good, players have told me they'd just mute it after an hour or two.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:01:35 AM by Fleury » Logged

Looking for a retro 2D MMORPG? Check out Pixel Champions! [official site, facebook page]
Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 11:38:48 PM »

It's just a normal Samsung 12" laptop. 1,3 ghz celeron, 2 gb ram, Windows 7 32-bit and an Intel graphics accelerator ("intel 4 series chipset family"). I use it everyday for programming my own games, and I even ran World of Warcraft on it a couple of years ago. Did you try put a sleep(1), delay(1) or similar in your main loop?

Is it a chromebook reformatted/dual-booted with windows 7? I still need the model number if I'm to take a look at what might be happening.

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 08:17:52 AM »

Sure, the model is called NP-X120. No dual boot, and I've never reformatted or reinstalled it.

I don't wanna be rude, but I sincerely doubt there's any problem with my setup, since, well, everything else works.

Yah, after reading through the tech specs for that laptop, I would have guessed the performance would be alot better.

I found this article on Intel's website that I believe might be the exact issue. I'll make note of this, and try to get a fix in when I've got an Intel 4 Series graphics card around to test on.

OpenGL - glTexSubImage2D on Intel 4 Series/Windows 7 Performance

TL;DR On Intel graphics cards, my code likely needs to be using GL_BGRA/GL_UNSIGNED_INT_8_8_8_8_REV rather than GL_RGBA/GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE.

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 04:13:41 PM »

anyone still going on this?

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2013, 12:44:30 PM »

January 5, 2013 - Build 221 Released   Tiger
  • Characters belonging to upgraded accounts are no longer deleted due to the six-month inactivity timer.
  • Orc Warlords, Orc Hammerdins, and Orc Warriors now have higher respawn times.
  • Tab targetting now correctly targets the nearest monster. Inaddition, it no longer targets barrels, crates, and other stationary targets.
  • Launcher no longer crashes (null reference exception) if you click "launch" before that button becomes visible.
  • Game launcher is no longer called "FrostLauncher" (an internal codename) when pinned to the start-menu.
  • Emailer rewritten to handle SMTP errors more graceful.
  • Forum should allow titles twice as long (64 characters rather than 32).
  • Added missing Swedish characters (Åå).
  • Memory contention (causing server freezes) due to SQL Server.
  • Significant performance boost from code optimizations applied during profiling of the game client.

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »

January 17, 2013 - Build 222 Released  Noir

• Optimized the lighting code: the lava region of the world map should perform better than before.
  • Reworked the lava region's lighting values to create a more suited ambient lighting.
  • Rewrote part of the rendering code to better sort creatures and effects: fire and electrical "puffs" will no longer appear above the waist of tall monsters (such as demons and brutes).
  • Fire and electrical "puffs" are now a slight source of light.
  • Fixed a server crash that could occur if packet was received with a size smaller than assumed.

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2013, 07:17:34 AM »

January 22, 2013 - Build 223 Released  Tired

• The minimap panel now allows zooming out and panning around the world map.
  • Waypoint markers (left-clicking on camera) no longer register as light sources.
  • A line-of-sight (LoS) check is now performed on each individual "puff" effect on spells; lightning/fire/poison effects will no longer float overtop of walls.

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2013, 01:30:36 PM »

January 28, 2013 - Build 224 Released  Toast Right

• All monsters/players now have health bar rendered.
  • Corrected 'Treasure Chest' tooltip hotkey.
  • Red Rings now instead drop from Warlocks (rare).
  • Star Wand now instead drop from Demons (ultra-rare).
  • Bows now instead drop from lower tier monsters.
  • Demonic Crossbow is now a semi-rare drop from Demons rather than an ultra-rare drop.
  • Staircases in the Ice Islands should be easier to spot on the minimap.
  • Lowered the hitpoints of Ghosts from 20HP to 5HP.
  • Raised the respawn time of carrots and various low-tier monsters.
  • Issued a 7-day suspension to all characters caught macroing at '8:00am GMT Monday January 28, 2013'.

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 12:50:04 PM »

Work is underway on Build 225  Smiley

You'll soon be able to show/hide the world/party channels.

Text-highlighting is coming so that quest NPCs can hint you to words they might respond to.

And fancy new NPCs!

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »

Some green crystals for the spider pit.  Cheesy

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2013, 03:14:44 AM »

Decided to improve the lighting effects in the Ice Islands aswell; feels alot more cold now.  Epileptic

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2013, 01:45:52 PM »

So Build-225 is in a releasable state, but with how long it's taken to develop (nearly a month) it feels somewhat lacking...  Concerned

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2013, 05:58:56 PM »

February 27, 2013 - Build 225 Released  Waaagh!  Lips Sealed

• Fixed an exploit at the Demon and Warlock hunting zones wherein you could attack monster without receiving damage.
  • Rebalanced the hitpoint, experience, and loot list values of several monsters.
  • Light and medium armor are now called 'partial' and 'full'.
  • Ghosts are now called Phantoms and have 'full' armor and increased hitpoints.
  • Added quest NPCs to novice island: Sam, Naz, and Mark.
  • Added XQuartz as a prerequisite for Mountain Lion (OS X) users.
  • Named shopkeepers have been replaced with generic equilvalents (and given new sprites).
  • Poison, Frost, and Ressurection amulets have been given a new look.
  • Topic Page index numbers on forum now use a non-breaking space character.
  • Added a glow to the Ice Island walls.
  • Black Widow renamed to Giant Scarab, and given new attack method and walking speed.
  • Added glowing gem stones to the new Giant Scarab cave.
  • Added text-highlighting to the channels.
  • You can now close the World and Party channels.
  • Several minor changes to the OpenGL coding.

Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2013, 07:05:24 PM »

*That lighting*

I like it

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2013, 04:43:07 PM »

March 1, 2013 - Build 226 Released  Hand Any KeyFacepalm

• Black dragons and giant scarabs now correctly drop chaos pieces rather than chain pieces.
  • Raised the melee damage of black dragons and red dragons by about 20%.
  • Black dragons now drop chaos armor rather than chaos legs. Furthermore, giant scarabs once again drop chaos legs, and warlocks once again drop chaos helmets.
  • Red dragons now drop golden legs as a rare.
  • Red and black dragons no longer drop scythes.

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »

Hrm.. it would appear that when I made the switch from SDL.NET to OpenTK several years ago, that input method editor support in my projects got forfeit on Linux and OS X.  WTF

I don't regret ditching SDL.NET (portions of that API are still based on the tao framework, which was an absolute nightmare... Facepalm) but it seems that SDL (non .NET version) has better international support than OpenTK.

Writing my own bindings (and supporting config files for Mono) to SDL won't be easy  Apoplectic, but I'm going to take a stab at it.  Wizard

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2013, 11:33:32 PM »

Mock Anger

So the input method functions referenced on the SDL.NET wiki: SDL_StartTextInput() and SDL_StopTextInput() don't actually exist in the current stable release of SDL (SDL 1.2).   

From what I can gather, those functions were part of a branch "gsoc2009_IME" back in 2010 that was closed as "obsolete" and may have been merged (dunno if into SDL 1.3, or "SDL 2.0" (note, can't find proof it exists in the GIT repo)), or just scratched). It couldn't have been my SDL library that worked with IME, it must have been even older solution (hiding a textbox offscreen on a WinForm).

Back to the drawing board for getting IME support. Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:04:10 AM by Fleury » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic