Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:30:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld Competitions####punk: Voting!
Poll
Question: Which ####punk writing entry do you vote for? (Maximum of 2)  (Voting closed: October 03, 2008, 10:28:34 PM)
A Simple Cog, by dmoonfire - 5 (14.7%)
Arthur, by MekanikDestructiwKommando - 0 (0%)
Earthblades Don't Mourn for Burnmules, by Musenik - 4 (11.8%)
Ginkgos Gone, Gynoids Come, by Pit - 1 (2.9%)
Laura, by MekanikDestructiwKommando - 3 (8.8%)
Lies, by Agj - 1 (2.9%)
Payday, by AmnEn - 3 (8.8%)
Quadruple Pound Punk, by Bigpants - 8 (23.5%)
Spanning the Valley, by Jimmythechang - 1 (2.9%)
Steampunk (David), by Inventrix - 1 (2.9%)
Tell-A-Tale Blues, by AmnEn - 0 (0%)
The Alchemist's Apprentice, by Guesst - 0 (0%)
The Red Squire, by Renton - 1 (2.9%)
The Seventh Dimension of Agna'arakon IV Owen Rendall vs the Red Pirates, by Xion - 4 (11.8%)
Tranny-Bot Chronicles, by Voxel - 2 (5.9%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: ####punk: Voting!  (Read 28697 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2008, 10:28:34 PM »

Voting are go!

Here are the entries!

You have 2 votes each.

You can change your vote at any time.

Voting ends after 3 weeks.

Good luck all! This was great! Gentleman

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 07:55:34 PM »

* Arthur

Not entirely sure what type of *punk to put this one in. It has an interesting tone, the omnipresent and humorous voice really sets the story. A sad ending, but I like how things gradually become more focused and also how you describe the various thought processes going on.

* Earthblades Don't Mourn for Burnmules

This was a cool little story. It had some hints of "Grapes of Wrath" in it for me and I like the tone, but also the practicality of everything. I thought it was very touching and felt sorry for the lot of them.

* Ginkgos Gone, Gynoids Come

There is a wonderful sense of urgency in this story, kind of a late-minute rush though I wasn't always sure what was going on. I liked it and it really fit in with a cyberpunk theme. Seems to be a series of sad stories, of course, but well written.

* Laura

This story has a bit more hope than most cyberpunk stories, but I found it very nice. It has that lovely sense of revenge coupled with learning about some horrible future. I will admit, when I read about the static, I thought it was them still in charge, just on the computer (maybe so, but didn't seem to end like that).

* Lies

This story confused me so badly. Smiley I picked up on the lie, of something on the computer verses not in person, but I had no clue what was really what. It had a sweet, ethereal quality to it, which I found enjoyable.

* Payday

This was a fun little story of someone who knows what he is doing. I love the casual attitude toward the implants and also the attitude of the main character. Very fun and enjoyable.

* Quadruple Pound Punk

This story was confusing, humorous, and basically an entirely enjoyable read. Even after going through it three times, I still like it. I like the progression with the multiple chapters and the ending really capped the entire story.

* Spanning the Valley

Great title to this story, too me a second to have an idea where it came from. I like the point of view of the main character and also the non-obvious way it was ended. Very nice.

* Steampunk (David)

There was something very sweet about this story, but I'm a sucker for sacrifice and paladins in general. Very nice and the details of the steampunk worked very nicely in the story. The cast iron boiler with the suit just brought a smile to my lips.

* Tell-A-Tale Blues

Really didn't care for Act 2 but the story really seems to get going in Act 4 and beyond. It was a bit hard to read with the short lines, but still had an interesting story going on.

* The Alchemist's Apprentice

This one confused me slightly, mainly since I couldn't really tell what was going on once they met the magistrate. Did he steal the clockwork guy or something else? It seems rather rushed.

* The Red Squire

Cute and spunky. I liked this one. It had a neat sense of humor and a really good threat. Not to mention girls with glasses. Smiley

* The Seventh Dimension of Agna'arakon IV Owen Rendall vs the Red Pirates

Not entirely sure where the Red Pirates came in this story, but it sounds like a very interesting world you have set up. It also has a nice touch of bittersweet and tenderness that really really appealed to me.

* Tranny-Bot Chronicles

Okay, I loved this one. The sense of humor in the story, the tone of the character, the build-up to something perverted and everything else. It is a great little story.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 10:07:24 PM »

Nice little bunch of reviews there, dmoonfire.  Gentleman

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 02:17:50 PM »

I need to get around to reading all of these, argh. There is a good bunch of good ones, though, so it'll be hard to make a choice.

Renton
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 02:51:49 PM »

Having just re-read my story, I just realized that I had left a lot of gender misspelling when I decided the protagonist should be female and changed all the "he"s to "she"s.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 07:53:20 PM »

I was wondering about that. On the other hand it opens up a lot of other possibilities.  Grin
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 05:27:38 AM »

Having just re-read my story, I just realized that I had left a lot of gender misspelling when I decided the protagonist should be female and changed all the "he"s to "she"s.

Bah, transgendered really is the way to go.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:03:17 AM »

* The Alchemist's Apprentice

This one confused me slightly, mainly since I couldn't really tell what was going on once they met the magistrate. Did he steal the clockwork guy or something else? It seems rather rushed.
Not rushed. Compressed. Original entry came in over the 1000 word limit and had to be seriously culled. But yea, he stole the clockwork guy.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 01:26:36 AM »

Great stories, Blankpunks!  Cool

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 11:02:25 AM »

It was fun writing for the competition and I really liked the word limit although I was cursing it back and forth while writing. It really forced you to put emphasize on your words.
So, good luck everyone. Smiley

Obviously of demonic ancestry. In that case, can I get my wings please?
Renton
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 11:17:43 AM »

Three weeks over yet? :D
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 11:27:11 AM »

It was fun writing for the competition and I really liked the word limit although I was cursing it back and forth while writing. It really forced you to put emphasize on your words.
So, good luck everyone. Smiley

I agree. I only recently started writing for word-limited calls for submissions, mostly for small books, and it really makes you think about your words. And learn how to tighten up your writing since today's market is really empathizing more terse descriptions than Grapes of Wrath chapters on deserts.

That and most of my novels are in the 100-150k word range, I need to work more on the terseness. Smiley Today's novel seems to be closer to 80k words.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »

That's encouraging actually. I always worry that my novels will be too short.

And no, Renton. Learn to count.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 08:13:38 PM »

Wait what the hell?  Huh? I specifically intended the voting to last one week longer than the Bootleg Demakes voting. So why is it now ending one day earlier?

dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 03:51:59 AM »

Congratulations to Bigpants for the Landslide.
I'm a bit sad there were only a total of 20 votes, most of them probably even by the writers themself. Interest sure wasn't high in this competition.

Obviously of demonic ancestry. In that case, can I get my wings please?
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 08:03:38 AM »

On a forum not dedicated to writing, that's about right.

Congratulations Bigpants for winning!

It was a great little contest. Yeah, people didn't post much, but it was still nice that it did turn out. And congratulations for everyone who entered--it takes a lot of courage to write anything, even more to post it.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 05:56:40 PM »

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't vote in the end. Nevertheless, congratulations, Bigpants! Your story sure is something, it deserves the votes it got.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 06:03:05 PM »

I was going to vote, but didn't get time to read all the entries.

Quadruple Pound Punk just confused me and Arthur was odd. I preferred A Simple Cog (no offense to Bigpants or MekanikDestructiwKommando intended).

Then again, they were the only three I read.
bigpants
Level 1

hi there, i'm happy mister bigpants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »

WOW!!!

Higher interest be damned, I am truly honoured!
Many thanks go to my editor (and friend) Peter Luyt,
without whom my story would have made even less sense.
We both liked the first half.
As for the second half... ummmm...

My favourite story was "Earthblades Don't Mourn for Burnmules".
I don't fully understand what happened,
which is probably why it keeps sticking.

This competition taught me that "future" makes a fantastic addition to any sentence.
i.e. His future coffee needed more future sugar cubes.
i.e. While future jogging, he future sweated.

Twitter   B-Game   Demake  
one of us wears pants
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 11:31:27 PM »

Gratz, Bigpants and dmoonfire!

heh, 4 votes for mine, that's more than I'd expected Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: