Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:57:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral8 bit collective
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 8 bit collective  (Read 11479 times)
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2012, 12:56:07 AM »

Does anyone know what happened to 8 bit collective?

For a while had their own site saying the website was under maintenance or something, and now I think they've stopped hosting it all together.
It was an awesome site.

(reference: http://www.8bc.org)

EDIT: wait no i dont think theyve stopped hosting
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 01:08:05 AM »

It's been like this for months at this point I think, no clue what's going on. It's a shame because there was some really neat stuff on there that isn't anywhere else (or if it is, uploaded in a variety of disparate places and often in varying degrees of sound quality, e.g. .ftm files versus Youtube uploads).

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 01:51:33 AM »

8bc was a really cool site and I even had some tracks of my own on there.

I don't know what happened though. For a while, it was unusable for me; pages were slow and often times parts of the site wouldn't load at all. I eventually stopped visiting there because of it.

forwardresent
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 01:59:30 AM »

A lot happened with 8BC, and a sort of splinter site was formed called http://chipmusic.org/ where you can find a lot of the old 8BC members. I'm not sure why it's down, I sort of stopped frequenting it after some mod drama among the forum that caused people to leave and start chipmusic.
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 02:08:01 AM »

Ah had no idea chipmusic.org was from the 8BC people / community.
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 03:01:09 AM »

Yeah, it's been down for a while, which is disappointing 'cause there was some great stuff on there.  I remember at some point someone was planning on buying the domain and recreating the site, but I don't know if that ever went anywhere.

Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 05:43:08 AM »

It has been down for over a year now. I miss that site. Cry
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 07:53:43 AM »

seems to have met with a similar fate as vgmix.com

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »

it's kind of a long and drama filled story, but basically a lot of people who were originally funding 8bc server costs became disgruntled over some copyright issues and behavior of the owner, so defected and created chipmusic.org. 8bc held its ground for a while, but fell apart over the course of a year or so. There we're some server issues that happened, losing around 3 months of posts and music, then a full server collapse. Jose Torres, who owns 8bc, said it would be taken down for maintenance, but it's been almost a year with no news. In that time a number of other similar sites have popped up, created by former 8bc mods, like ucollective.org and noisechannel.org, to various degrees of success. One of the main things anout 8bc was that EVERYONE was there, so even if it were to return it would never be what it once was, as at this point the scene has factionalized.

/7 year daily user of 8bc

edit: oh, for what it's worth, Jose Torres has been much more active online recently, and has been doing some things (like organizing well known 8bc vets into a "worked at 8bc" thing on facebook) that gives me the impression that he may be planning on a relaunch. We'll see! A lot of the l33t ch1p d00dz like to disparage 8bc as a noob site filled with trolls and idiots, but I thought it was a lot of fun and kinda miss it :/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:21:00 PM by jamesprimate » Logged

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 12:07:46 PM »

I got into the community of chiptunes (as opposed to the music itself) so wasn't a regular of 8bc, was looking forward to getting into that community. Ah well
Dragonmaw
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 12:37:43 PM »

I only used 8bc as a music trawling site, so I don't know about any of this community stuff, but I really loved the stuff on there so :V
dewlap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 02:33:42 PM »

It is a shame about 8bc. Allot of older members got put off by all the drama and people reposting memes. I had stuff on there that i dont have a copy of anymore so if anyone happens to have all of the big-chip tracks that were on there or knows where i can download them again let me know please.
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 01:49:39 PM »

Oh yeah, sad to see it's still down. I discovered so many artists there: henryhomesweet, smiletron, spamtron, 4mat, fantomenk, the list goes on. Shame there's not one place where everyone gathers now. Instead it's all spread in pieces around the net.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »

most everything  in the scene is done on Facebook now. there are a few good public groups if you want to keep up with what's going on like https://www.facebook.com/groups/chiptuneswin/ if anybody wants to join from here let me know and I'll confirm.

also, even though it's not the friendliest place, most things do get posted to chipmusic.org like upcoming shows and stuff. The "releases" section there is basically everything that's been released that's worth listening to (and plenty that isn't hehe)

honestly, there is so much cool stuff going on in chiptune right now. like, in Boston we have 3 actual chiptune radio shows and a bunch of podcast/Internet radio stuff. and chip artists are always on the bandcamp top charts and getting press on kotaku and big sites. it's cool come hang out!

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 07:32:12 AM »

3 Chiptune radio stations?!

So jealous...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic