Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:33:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignCan We Improve On: Harvest Moon
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Can We Improve On: Harvest Moon  (Read 9761 times)
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2008, 04:50:10 PM »

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but I also agree with Xion on the "execution is flawed" part.

Howeverrr...  Better's pretty subjective, and part of the charm of Harvest Moon is its simplicity.  The fact that it's pretty hard to permanently fuck up makes the game relaxing.  Adding too many features, or making death too easy, would change the nature of the game almost as certainly as removing the town would.  Harvest Moon had a dichotomy between time forced to spend on the farm "working," and time exploring the village.  Honestly, I think the village was the least fleshed out portion of the game, not the farm.  The farm had enough options to keep you occupied for a while making money, but that wasn't the sole purpose of the game - it was also your interaction with the village and its inhabitants. 
I think game had a touch of difficulty if you tried to have a pretty good farm explore and be with the townspeople. Though the last time I played was like three years ago.
Man, if I could program properly I'd be on this like a fat kid on chocolate. Cry

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
raiten
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »

The game is about making arbitrary progress - that's really it.  I loved HM64 when I was a kid, but when I replayed it recently I couldn't stand it.  It really is just a treadmill - the tasks are incredibly boring to do, and they get more boring the further you get in the game!  It's all just chasing that carrot of one more home renovation or whatever.

Just thinking about it now, the farming part of the game DOES get more boring as you play, doesn't it? the bigger the farm gets, the more boring it gets. even if you get new tools that help you do things quicker, the grinding element does grow in size, doesn't it?
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2008, 07:38:22 AM »

I have just played HM on snes, but I do believe there are many things to be fixed. Basically, most of the farming is a chore to do, because it is dull and repetitive; they should either make it more extensive, or allow automation of some tasks (perhaps more machinery). The city part needs far more interaction with the citizens, and more conflicting moral choices, like if you do x, you can't do y anymore.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic