Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:06:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsArmillo - 3D Platformer (Wii U eShop, PC & Mac)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Armillo - 3D Platformer (Wii U eShop, PC & Mac)  (Read 22668 times)
knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2012, 01:30:36 AM »

Bye bye XNA....  Hello Unity!!  Grin

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2012, 11:57:01 PM »

So the decision was made to port over to Unity.  One of the reasons is for better cross-platform support.  The main benefit of sticking with XNA is that we would be able to release Armillo on XBLIG, but that market seems like it's going nowhere at this point.  

The other path that we could have gone to would be to go with Mono.XNA which is the most easiest alternative as it uses the same XNA development interface.  But Unity seemed to be the best fit - I'm pretty familiar with it, plus it allows for some awesome iteration times (runtime previewing of assets, tuning of values, ease of use, etc.).

This means that we'll be releasing Armillo on Windows, Linux, and Mac.  And further down the road, on iOS and Android.

So the past couple of weeks, I've been testing out the feasibility of porting.  It's a bit of a pain - going to have to re-write about 60% of the code (a decision that I reluctantly made), and doing an incremental port (ie. porting the code piece by piece).  But so far, it's shaping up:

Just working on getting level 1 back in the game, which is starting to look a bit nicer with normal mapped procedural models (eg. the guard rails & doors).  I've also purchased a nice FX tuning tool / library called fxmaker, so the visual effects should also start to look a lot better as well.

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2012, 01:10:49 AM »

Alrighty.  The world is nicely populated now.  Now going to start implementing the gameplay logic and visual effects of the missing game elements of level 1.

Just some of my initial thoughts about the porting:

- Overall porting of the code syntax was straight forward.  Some namespace changes (Math to Mathf).  Some missing math functions such as Vector * Matrix (replaced by Inverse(Matrix) * Vector).
- x axis was flipped for me, so I had to negate it when parsing my level data
- Model transformation in Unity follows strictly scale-rotate-translate.  So some of the squishy effects of Armillo wasn't ported as a result as I used a good series of matrix multiplications as a result.
- I've avoided using Quaternions in XNA.  Quaternions are now everywhere in Unity, but they're straightforward to use.  (Just not straightforward to me when working with the math logic behind them!)
- I love Unity's game object, component, and runtime tuning system.  Makes things a lot easier.

I had to also scrap the entire XNA coded rendering engine in favor of Unity's built in.  Much easier to work with and shader support seems pretty good.  I don't get any full screen effects or dynamic shadows with Unity Free, so I'll have to upgrade to Pro later on once I'm ready.  Other things I've scrapped: the HUD (I'm debating whether I should go NGUI or OnGUI.  This game doesn't have a complex HUD, so I'm leaning the latter), the Front-End, and the main game logic loop.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2012, 01:14:47 AM »

Looks pretty good so far!

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2012, 01:10:21 AM »

Looks pretty good so far!

Thanks!!

Unity port is coming along.  I've got a good chunk of the gameplay elements in (re-writing a bunch of them in the process) and Level 1 can now be played from start to end with all the game elements except for the parallel universe.

As for getting the parallel universe to work, I'll be taking advantage of Unity layers:

Using layers, I can basically spawn all the objects (both main and parallel universe) in the scene, then tell the camera to only render objects in the main universe, then switch over to the parallel universe when needed.

Only thing about layers that kind of annoys me at this point would be that lighting doesn't seem to work in layers.  This kind of messes up my plans for multiplayer as a light follows each player and should only be visible on that player's viewport.  I'm thinking of just baking light positions in the world for multiplayer maps as a work-around.

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2012, 11:09:53 PM »

Alright!  Parallel universe works well now in the Unity port.  Missing a bunch of effects that the original version has, but those and hopefully more will be added in eventually.

Next, going to add some physics to the bashable blocks, work on porting over the trapper (the enemy that grabs you into a glass cage), then adding new critter behavior routines.

elija
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2012, 11:32:40 PM »

Love it, Keep it up!
knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2013, 09:50:50 PM »

Love it, Keep it up!

Thanks!

Looks like it's going well.  Got the block physics, trapper, and critter routines in. 

So next I'll be working on getting the bonus stage working as well as game entering/exit camera panning transitions.

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2013, 02:14:47 AM »

Working on the new menu system now.  Focusing this updated system on using 3D widgets with a much better presentation.  Also trying to get the player straight into the game a lot faster.

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2013, 05:45:22 PM »

Bonus stage is working now as well (minus the blast-off effects).  Here's an on-the-moon shot:

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2013, 01:05:13 AM »

Now working on a dynamic weather engine.  Got some rain & lightning working:

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2013, 10:32:44 PM »

We're now official Nintendo developers!

Armillo is coming out to the Wii U eShop!!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/01/fuzzy_wuzzy_games_is_rolling_armillo_onto_the_wii_u_eshop

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2013, 12:04:50 AM »

Been playing a bit with some texturing effects/post processing stuff in Unity.

Details maps are awesome.  Our level maps are like 4096x2048, which is already at max size on Unity.  It ends up blurry if we zoom in, so detail maps hides the bluriness.  Left is without any detail maps zoomed-in, right is with a simple 512x512 repeating detail map.

Also got some glow working on the rails in-game:

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2013, 12:05:40 AM »

Working on a new HUD.  This HUD hides each section when necessary, keeping the game field minimal.  One thing I'm doing is removing the score.  The score will now be tabulated after you finish the level, also keeping information more focused to the game.

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »

Been a while since I've posted here!  Been updating the game quite a bit, but my wife recently gave birth to our second son so it's been pretty busy.  But here's a screenshot of the most recent progress:

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2013, 05:05:03 PM »

Congrats for wii u game !!

where i can find some videos ?

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2013, 08:18:40 PM »

Congrats for wii u game !!

where i can find some videos ?

Thanks!  Here are some videos:

Our most recent trailer:

Our video dev log announcing the Wii U release:

The game also now looks a lot better than what appears on those videos since we moved to Unity.

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2013, 10:01:08 PM »

Making some good progress.  Updating visuals/adding some new gameplay elemeents.  Here are some more images from the second level.

I've also recently started a twitter account for those that are interested in following (I'll follow any fellow devs here back as well):

https://twitter.com/FuzzyWuzzyGames

Going to also order a Wii U dev kit soon.  Good times! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:07:50 PM by knightSquared » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic