Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 04:52:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesPromisingly Good Freeware Games in Development
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 47
Print
Author Topic: Promisingly Good Freeware Games in Development  (Read 389980 times)
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2008, 06:24:04 PM »

Any specific reasons? It was made off the old sprites.
I don't think I have a real reason besides spontaneous disapproval. Something about turning low resolution pixeled sprites into full glorious HD just doesn't seem right. Maybe it's just me.

And I'm not too happy with Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix either.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2008, 07:06:38 PM »

Any specific reasons? It was made off the old sprites.
I don't think I have a real reason besides spontaneous disapproval. Something about turning low resolution pixeled sprites into full glorious HD just doesn't seem right. Maybe it's just me.

And I'm not too happy with Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix either.
You're right I don't like it either,it's just lazy.The style of the old game becomes more important than its substance. And they just redo that, the shape, and don't add anything new to the story or universe.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ChevyRay
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2008, 08:56:20 PM »

Piccu Wiccu and Crimson Star's graphics are crisp. Soooo bookmarking them.

Yeah, but in that shot of Piccu Wikku, he seems to be standing a bit into the ground. I dislike that in a platformer, at least when it disagrees with the perspective. Doesn't do such crisp graphics the justice they deserve. I would prefer he was behind the grass.

But I just read the description on the site...
The game is set in a fictional world inspired by Mesoamerican cultures. Although the game borrows a lot from Mesoamerican mythologies and some other historical facts, the game world is entirely fictional, thus not even trying to reflect real world geography or other such things.
And that just makes me drool. I love mythology-inspired games and stories, and this just looks simply novel Gentleman

Also, I'll second... ..Deadheat's game. I talk to him on MSN often, but I don't think he's currently working on this.

I'll share some shots with you folks, but I'd better check with him first.

Other than that, here are my own contributions, mostly from people I keep in touch with or games I have to have a box of tissues handy when I think about them too much... Cool

I'm really stoked on Runman: Race Around the World. While a quick glance at the screenshots doesn't look like much, the game is being made by Coolmoose and Matt Thorson (creator of the Jumper games, FlaiL, Untitled Story...) and promises to have the BEST soundtrack ever.

Matt is also just getting started on his next big platforming exploration romp, which I will be collaborating on him with (or at least helping with a big chunk of the graphics load). More info on this soon, hopefully...

JakeX, fellow Canadian (and even better, Nova Scotian) is working on an online multiplayer game called Sapphire Tears. The beta is available for download from that page.

Jump into a game, construct a base, and start battling on it! Sapphire Tears is a first person shooter where players have the ability to build their own structures before play begins. An assortment of weapons and abilities enhance the play. Duke it out with 7 other people!

Even better, he's working on an awesome-looking game called Shinku no Yume. It, at first, appears to be a side-view arena battler... but when you realize you can't hurt your teammates, and hordes of robots start swarming in the screen, it turns out to be a co-op arena battler. Basically, you and your friends are pitted against hordes of robot enemies, and this includes boss fights, etc. Looks to be pretty promising...

Though some might be turned off by the "programmer graphics". The effects are nice enough Smiley and the game still has a ways to come. He has a series of gameplay videos too, which you can watch here.

I'll ask what the progress is next time HE'S on MSN (i seem to chat with EVERYBODY regularily Tongue) i'll ask what the progress is on this. But this was his description, last I heard:
This little idea worked out quite well. Essentially, the game pits you and your friends against an increasingly large number of killer robots, and your goal is to protect the fancy glowing crystals that are inexplicably hanging around the place. It starts out pretty simple, but after a few minutes, the pace picks up a bit, and before you know it, there are more crazy disco lasers haphazardly flying across the screen than you could possibly count.

So yeah, those of you who enjoyed the older test versions of this game are probably going to love this, and anyone else who loves hilariously chaotic player-versus-robots action might get a kick out of it too.

Expect a public version... uh, sometime. Eventually.

And, since I'm on a roll with my largest post EVER...

Paul Eres (aka. Rinkuhero) which hangs around TIGSource, is working on a really awesome looking game called Saturated Dreamers. Rinku is a perfectionist and a notable visualist by my standards, and from what I've seen/heard of Saturated Dreamers so far, it could be one of the better indie games. I seriously drool every time I see something new <3

He updates his livejournal often with news about SD, and he released an

awhile back, too.

Also, anybody who is NOT familiar with Lo-fi Minds' WIP,

should stop what you're doing immediately and treat yourself to that video. The game looks godly, and will no doubt outdo all of Cactus' past games. Last time I talked to HIM, I got the impression that he had really high expectations for this game, and works on it pretty much full-time.

Probably the most anticipated indie game by me, anyhow.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:29:31 AM by ChevyRay » Logged
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2008, 09:34:58 PM »

EXCUSE ME MOTHERFUCKERS THERE IS AN INTERESTING THREAD IN ART + DESIGN BY A FELLOW NAMED SERENEWORX NOW IF THAT'S NOT PROMISING INDIE GAMING IS DEAD FOREVER

also, fez

shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »

Shinku no Yume feels a bit like my Killer Rabbit Online (which is still going to be made, a year late, once I've finished my new libraries) except with actual graphics and gameplay and all that important stuff. Definitely looking forward to it, but also hoping both games end up sufficiently different.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2008, 01:11:17 AM »

ChevyRavy that was a really informative post.
interesting games indeed.  Smiley
thanks for the effort  Gentleman

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
ChevyRay
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2008, 01:29:28 AM »

EXCUSE ME MOTHERFUCKERS THERE IS AN INTERESTING THREAD IN ART + DESIGN BY A FELLOW NAMED SERENEWORX NOW IF THAT'S NOT PROMISING INDIE GAMING IS DEAD FOREVER

also, fez
Haha, true. Cafe looks godly, I sure hope it carries through! Is there any new shiz on Fez, or what!? Sad

No prob, AuthenticKaizen. Though I shall herein be known as ChevyRavy! Gentleman Because that is just great.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2008, 01:48:52 AM »

also, fez
Haha, true. Cafe looks godly, I sure hope it carries through! Is there any new shiz on Fez, or what!? Sad

No prob, AuthenticKaizen. Though I shall herein be known as ChevyRavy! Gentleman Because that is just great.

cafe looks also interesting...
so i updated the first post of the thread.

fez will not be freeware but i think this game should also be mentioned as an exception cause its very promising.
http://www.kokoromi.org/fez

that was a misreading of me...i really have read ChevyRaVy  Embarrassed  :D   Gentleman

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 01:57:45 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
ChevyRay
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2008, 02:42:41 AM »

Smiley

Deadheat informed me that he was working more on Blastforce, which is great! He said it's not prepped for a demo, but here's a few more screens...

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2008, 02:47:09 AM »

Would that be the guy who did The Power? It has a similar style to it.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2008, 02:51:25 AM »

ChevyRa(v)y  Gentleman i enjoyed his excellent retro platformer mission extreme and i think this one will be also a very enjoyable game.

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2008, 10:58:24 AM »

I don't think Lazreal is still working on this, but Dick the Duck looks super fun based on the Youtube of it:

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2008, 11:08:46 AM »

Just a note -- you listed Saturated Dreamers on that list, but it isn't going to be freeware, it'll be shareware, like Immortal Defense. Maybe it'll be freeware *one day* though -- my plan has always been to one day release my shareware games as freeware after around five or so years after their original release date. So if you can wait long enough, I guess it's upcoming freeware.

I also believe Valdis Story may not be freeware either, and it's also on your list.

Also, Brain-Damaged Toon Underworld I am not sure is freeware either (you'd have to ask Cactus). I think he once said it'll be his first commercial game, though? Or that there was a donation system or something?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 11:14:43 AM by rinkuhero » Logged

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2008, 11:15:05 AM »

Just a note -- you listed Saturated Dreamers on that list, but it isn't going to be freeware, it'll be shareware, like Immortal Defense. Maybe it'll be freeware *one day* though -- my plan has always been to one day release my shareware games as freeware after around five or so years after their original release date. So if you can wait long enough, I guess it's upcoming freeware.

I also believe Valdis Story may not be freeware either, and it's also on your list.
allright, thanks for that info.  Gentleman i didnt know that.
i move it to the not freeware section of the first post.  Smiley

ChevyRay
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2008, 02:31:08 AM »

I did know that Tongue but I didn't think about it, I was just posting indie games. Oh well.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2008, 12:58:54 PM »

Ranaremake

this one looks good.
a remake of the top down action game Ranarama
have a look at the the trailer.
i think the release will be in the not too far feature according to the developer which have already finished the game and is currently in the "bug hunting" stage.

retroremakes entry

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2008, 09:11:06 AM »

no freeware.

Zompocalypse

sidescrolling zombie shooter with great graphics.
level-up, blood, co-op gameplay and masses of zombies.
very promising.  Gentleman
heres a gameplay video.

http://toadtrip.com/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:33:18 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2008, 09:13:48 AM »

That's not freeware.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2008, 09:14:37 AM »

Also, Brain-Damaged Toon Underworld I am not sure is freeware either (you'd have to ask Cactus). I think he once said it'll be his first commercial game, though? Or that there was a donation system or something?

I heard he might have a publisher for it.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2008, 09:32:46 AM »

allright. thanks for the info. i have corrected this. Gentleman

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 47
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic