Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411980 Posts in 69438 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 16, 2024, 05:51:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessAnyone has bad experience with IndieDB?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Anyone has bad experience with IndieDB?  (Read 3064 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:40:05 AM »

I became quite frustrated. Henley on IndieDB is a very nice guy, but I keep having the same issue over and over again.

I submitted my news post on the 5/3/2012. It was authorized only today, but because a lot of other news posts were authorized today, I didn't even appear on the front page like most new news posts do.
Not only that, but some news post that was submitted on the 10/4 was authorized before me and did get the chance to be in the front page.
My news is one bellow that news eventhough I was authorized after it.
I told them that it's better to not be authorized at all rather than be authorized so late. And also that I need to know the reason of the late aurthorization if there was something wrong with my news post.

I want to ask if other people have the same issues with IndieDB?

Master of all trades.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »

True, the news posts take pretty much forever to authorize. But I think it's really more like a "we don't have enough people to look through them" issue.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:45:57 AM »

Well, I have a simple solution to that. Just place the news post according to authorize date and not submit date. In case some posts are authorized at the same day, then the secondary key can be submition date.

I just fail to understand how this explains that a news post that was submitted a day after my news post was both authorized before my post and appeared higher in the news features.

I am not sure this is just lack of staff but maybe they favour some games over others. I wonder if Notch gets the same treatment as me and others, and etc.

I know this is kind of paranoia thinking, but I am trying to find explainations.

Master of all trades.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 08:46:02 PM »

I don't think there's any collusion going on. Their system is just a little rough around the edges sometimes and it's probably a decent amount of work to fix it up.

I have a funny story about a security issue I found that when I reported I was initially accused of sabotage. After a quick exchange of messages though Henley was nice about it.

I think there's just a lot of stress in managing 3 systems like moddb, indiedb and desura. Making a small change has a chance of propagating through the whole system which is probably why they are slow to make these adjustments.

Bottom line Henley is a reasonable guy who I sincerely doubt would do anything dishonest. He has been very good to the mod and indie community.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:53:32 PM »

I heard that there must be some sort of system to rank games according to popularity or sthg.
like a very popular game will get updated almost instantly, unlike the less popular games
I also heard that they tend to priviledge core games over casual games or sthg.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 02:56:45 AM »

Sometimes I had my posts authorized almost immediately, sometimes it's as you describe. But really -- it makes no difference -- traffic from IndieDB is shitty anyway. Maybe it makes some sense for the top games, but on average it's not worth losing your nerves over.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
GeoffW
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 05:52:09 AM »

But really -- it makes no difference -- traffic from IndieDB is shitty anyway. Maybe it makes some sense for the top games, but on average it's not worth losing your nerves over.

That may be true, but the demo I put on there has probably got me a few extra sales - for me demo downloads are actually more valuable than driving traffic to my site.

spicy gyro games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:33:04 PM »

You should keep in mind that IndieDB does not post every news update to the main page. Doing so would end up with users spamming their news feed to stay on top. So not only do they have to review it before it's posted, it is possible that even after review it will not make it onto the main page. However, it will still appear on the main page of your game's genre section.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 12:07:51 AM »

But really -- it makes no difference -- traffic from IndieDB is shitty anyway. Maybe it makes some sense for the top games, but on average it's not worth losing your nerves over.

That may be true, but the demo I put on there has probably got me a few extra sales - for me demo downloads are actually more valuable than driving traffic to my site.

That demo you linked was downloaded all 23 times. I'm sorry but that's next to nothing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 01:54:49 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
nyyjen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 02:02:44 AM »

I stopped visiting the site because the adverts are so annoying. You can't even turn off the sound on them, because every time the advert refreshes the music is set to on again.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 05:35:26 AM »

Oh? I never had an advert with sound, must be localized thing..
Maybe you can contact Henely, it seems like something he would like to fix.

Master of all trades.
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 09:29:43 PM »

I stopped visiting the site because the adverts are so annoying. You can't even turn off the sound on them, because every time the advert refreshes the music is set to on again.

AdBlock is your friend.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
nyyjen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 08:48:53 AM »

I was wondering whether it is a bug, but then didn't care enough to report it. I am in the UK and use Firefox for Mac. Everytime I go to IndieDB it shows me this annoying washing machine advert. Oh well.

I don't use ad blockers. It is fair play that sites want to make money to cover their running costs. IndieDB is free to use after all.

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 11:16:30 AM »

I've had issues with IndieDB as a composer looking for work. One of the reasons I migrated over to here is because the philosophy on that site and its mod counterpart, ModDB, is that you should never get paid for your efforts. Sad

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 09:03:04 PM »

Sorry to awake such an old thread, but for people who uses IDB, is it a good site in terms of people getting to know about your project and such? I see some projects in the top100 that doesn't seems to be holding a super good quality, still getting a lot of views?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:02:29 AM by Hipshot » Logged

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 11:38:46 PM »

A lot of views are driven by pirates imo, every time a game shows up on a torrent site, the numbers will spike. Still, the site is good enough to get you listed pretty high on Google if you keep it up to date. The best way to get people to know your game right now though is still Greenlight.

Schrompf
Level 10

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 04:15:32 AM »

The top 100 vary everyday AFAIK. And one day I made it to rank 53 or something with less than 100 views. So in my opinion IndieDB is just one of the thousands of channels you have to play for the slim hope to be noticed by some central entity by accident and to break through to the attention of the general crowd. And this is more about luck than about anything you can do. Make a cool game, talk about it and be known for it, and then hope for the best.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 05:55:36 AM »

I'm never going to complain about moddb, it has always been awesome to me, but I have often thought it would be good if developers accounts had a kind of 'trust' measure.

So users who have submitted game pages that they regularly post updates for (which have been approved countless times before) could become 'trusted' and their posts be automatically approved forever (or until their 'trusted' status is removed by being flagged, down-voted, whatever)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic