Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:58:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAlienoid Core
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Alienoid Core  (Read 18497 times)
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 05:02:43 PM »

Update 9
Implemented the redesigned HUD from the last mockup into the game.  I like it a lot more then the old one.  Again, thanks to green for inspiration.  It was surprisingly easy to implement, even though it was may first time making a font.  I made it using fontstruct if anyone was wondering.

Edit:Also changed to bombs to look like the ones in the HUD.

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2012, 07:53:37 AM »

Nice, everything in the HUD is easily readable at a glance and out of the way...it looks like you've got blacked-out text for future values in the latest screenshot? I think it'd be better just having a blank space to avoid any unnecessary clutter. Aside from that, it looks like it is going to be a fun game  Smiley

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2012, 08:12:08 AM »

Yeah, it looks solid. I think I agree with Scary about the blacked out numbers. Anyway, it's looking good!

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 02:08:11 PM »

Update 10
Finished the thing that lets you see what a gun will do before you pick it up.  It only appears when you are near the random box.  I had trouble thinking of symbols to represent the stats, but I think they are pretty good now.  Blood for damage, wind for firerate, lightning for energy, the arrow for speed, and the number sign for the number of shots fired.  I also learned some code that will be really useful in the future. 

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »

Update 11
Added the first enemy to the game, a bat.  The follow you slowly and can fly over walls.  Really boring, but making it got a lot of things like enemy spawning and inactivity out of the way, so I can make cool stuff later.  While making this bat I realized that it was really hard to aim, so I made it easier by making a lock direction key.  This makes the game way more playable, because you can shoot things while walking away. 

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2012, 10:43:42 PM »

That's a neat idea not to give the bats pathfinding code around walls/blocks etc...they fly, so they SHOULD have free range over obstacles.

The strafing feature is good to have as well. A friend of mine would be very pleased, as he was on my case constantly to do something similar in my project, but I resisted! When you have a demo ready to go, I will definitely make him give it a try  Grin

Am looking forward to the next update!

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2012, 01:20:20 AM »

Wooow that's look so neat like the HUD alot and liked the idea of the game as I like topdown action shooters with some roguelike stuff (I loved Pineapple smash crew alot) looking forward for playing the game Smiley

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2012, 12:27:18 PM »

Thanks guys!

I still have a lot of stuff on my to do list before I plan to do a demo, but you shouldn't have to wait too long.

Also, strafing is a way nicer name for it then lock directions.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:56:09 PM by Pixelulsar » Logged

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2012, 02:55:06 PM »

Update 12
This is a really tiny update in terms of content, but a huge one for this devlog.  I finally figured out how to make gifs!  Now this devlog will look much better.  This first one shows screen shake, which I just added and the explosion animation.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:20:07 PM by Pixelulsar » Logged

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »

Nice work on the gif! Screenshakes really help add to the impact of an action...one thing I'd suggest is an indication of time passing for the bomb. Giving it two sprites with contrasting colours (red/green for instance), and alternating them for a set amount of time, and then speeding up the alternation really makes it obvious to the player, and they can plan out their actions based on that info  Grin

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2012, 07:19:22 AM »

Nice indeed!

PS: Is there a name for that tactic? That circle-strafe-to-herd thing? I've been using it for years and it feels like it should have a name of its own.
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2012, 07:27:13 AM »

ScaryPotato, the bombs used to blink when they were the normal looking bombs, but I guess I forgot when I made them look like alien ones.  Anyways, I made them blink yellow, so it's easier to plan your actions now.

JobLeonard, I just call that circle strafe thing herding, but I doubt that's the official name.

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2012, 01:09:47 PM »

Enemy Concept Art Round 1

Which ones do you like, and which ones do you hate?

These are just a bunch of quick enemies I drew, so not all of them will be in the game.  I'm going to choose the ones that you guys like, and some of my favourites to put in the game.  The rest will be re-done or just scraped.  I'll probably do this a few times.

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »

I like them all, they are great, the first Mouse/rat might be a bit small though

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2012, 01:01:57 AM »

Enemy Concept Art Round 1

Which ones do you like, and which ones do you hate?

These are just a bunch of quick enemies I drew, so not all of them will be in the game.  I'm going to choose the ones that you guys like, and some of my favourites to put in the game.  The rest will be re-done or just scraped.  I'll probably do this a few times.

WooooooooW they look incredible I like them all may be the sphere thing and the one before not as cool as the others but all of them are nice Smiley

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2012, 04:20:53 PM »

Update 13
Vending Machines! Replaced those weird gun boxes with vending machines because I've been playing Dungeons of Dreadmor recently.  They look much better in my opinion and I really like them, but make no sense.  The also mean that guns now cost money, so money isn't useless.

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I've been messing around with box2D.
Not for this game... Duh

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2013, 04:19:30 PM »

Update "I've decided not to number updates any more"
Now that I'm done my other game I finally decided to start working on this again!  

The games controls are getting an overhaul.  I wasn't happy with the old controls, they didn't feel right, so now you aim with the mouse.  This makes it much easier to hit enemies so I can make them tougher and give them more interesting patterns and attacks to help balance it out.

I'm also going to touch up some of the old art to try and make the game look better.

Also does anyone have a suggestion for a better name?

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2013, 05:46:25 PM »

It feels like something is watching you...

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »

Added in destructible crates that take a few shots to destroy, then they drop something. Also redid the gold sprites so now there aren't just yellow squares, they actually look like gold.  Did diamonds too.

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 07:20:48 PM »

It's nice seeing you back on this! Your updates look good, am liking the idea of goody-filled crates Smiley  Do the eyeball enemies hover around, or do they bounce towards the player? Because really, it's hard to top giant bouncing eyeballs!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic