Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:15:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAlienoid Core
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Alienoid Core  (Read 18496 times)
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2013, 11:42:12 AM »

It's nice seeing you back on this! Your updates look good, am liking the idea of goody-filled crates Smiley  Do the eyeball enemies hover around, or do they bounce towards the player? Because really, it's hard to top giant bouncing eyeballs!

The eyeballs just float now, but...
I heard that's really hard to top giant bouncing eyeballs.

The only problem is that these eyeballs just move slowly away from you, and I don't think that bouncing would work well with their slow movement, but I am planning on adding in a few more eyeball themed enemies, so I'll make the ones that are more mobile bounce around.

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2013, 01:38:11 PM »

A lot of big changes have happened since I last updated this devlog.

Some of the more noticeable changes are I added pits you can fall into, added weapons that are not automatic, and completely redid the display at the top, which I think now looks a lot better.  The game is now at a one to one pixel resolution.

I also made the code a lot neater and simpler.  It used to look like a huge brick of text, and when I first made the game I somehow thought that all the variables should be in only capital letters. Now it is much more readable, and I fixed all the capital letters.  While I was fixing the code I redid player movement, so movement is much smoother and feels better, and did some major tweaking to the gun system so it is better and has more possible weapons. I changed level generation significantly too, not instead of being purely random, the levels are a random combination of pre-built rooms which will let me raise the quality of the level design a lot.   

I'm still open to name suggestions too.

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2013, 04:08:39 PM »

Just at a glance, the screenshot looks a lot more polished with the placement and size of the HUD! It is also cool seeing a little more of each room/level too. The 640X480 is a nice size for this game...good to see you're still working away on this  Grin

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »

Just at a glance, the screenshot looks a lot more polished with the placement and size of the HUD! It is also cool seeing a little more of each room/level too. The 640X480 is a nice size for this game...good to see you're still working away on this  Grin

Thanks!

I don't work on this game that much (mostly in between other projects), but I am slowly and steadily getting stuff done.

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2013, 12:27:05 PM »

Added in a new ability that lets you teleport a short distance towards the cursor.  You can't teleport through walls, you get stuck, so it will only be useful for getting over gaps or avoiding enemies.  It has a limited number of uses like bombs or keys.

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2014, 04:03:22 PM »

Shoot, haven't posted for a while.  This projects not dead, I've actually slowly made a bunch of changes since I last posted.

Being indecisive, I've gone back to using a purely random levels again, here's a few of the levels that the game generated.  The're a lot nicer than the original levels it used to make.

I've also made bullets look nicer and added in particle effects, which are used for enemy dying smoke puffs.  Still thinking of other things I could add to the bullets to make them look more flashy and nice.

Also fixed a few things that let the game run faster.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2014, 04:42:44 PM »

Looks smooth and the smoke works well. Smiley

Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2014, 04:48:33 PM »

I just read through this whole thread, and the progress you've made is awesome. Can't wait to see what you do next. Having the bullets have some sort of collision or deflection animation off the walls could look good.

retrostark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2014, 06:14:47 PM »

This really inspires me! I want to make a cave exploration game. I love yours though  Gentleman

Toast LeftWizardHand Metal Left
mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2014, 08:14:24 PM »

Looks smooth, i'd love to play a demo to see how it feels even if it's not that far along game-wise.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2014, 05:17:15 AM »

I can hear it go "poof" as it dies. That's a good sign Smiley
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2014, 12:37:59 PM »

Just added an icon to the top to show how many teleports you have left, and made a few variations of the floor tiles to make it look more interesting. Also figured I just haven't posted a screenshot for a while, so why not?

retrostark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2014, 12:50:53 PM »

All I can say is maybe you should lighten the floor tiles because I think they might be to dark.  Waaagh!

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2014, 03:08:35 PM »

All I can say is maybe you should lighten the floor tiles because I think they might be to dark.  Waaagh!

I'm too lazy to post a screenshot now, but I tried brighter floors and they look better.  Thanks for the advice.

retrostark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2014, 03:38:46 PM »

No problem take your time I would love to see them though  Grin

JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »

Cool idea. I was just thinking about a randomly generated top down shooter.

Are you going to add Co-op?

retrostark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »

CO-OP would be a very cool idea for this game. I would love to see that added. Also I have a question what engine are you developing on?

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »

Its developed in AS3 using a cool game creation library called FlashPunk.
I don't know whether I'm going to add co-op or not, it would be cool.

retrostark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »

Its developed in AS3 using a cool game creation library called FlashPunk.
I don't know whether I'm going to add co-op or not, it would be cool.

It defiantly would be a cool thing to add, and I love FlashPunk!  Corny Laugh

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2014, 03:23:27 PM »

Working on random gun generation again!

It was in the game before I started to redo everything if you read the start of the devlog, but it didn't feel very good and it was very messy, so I haven't gotten around to adding it back in until now. I've been making the whole shooting system with random guns in mind, so it shouldn't be too hard to add.  Also made bullets look better.

If anyone has ever tried some type of random gun generation before (or if you just have some ideas), advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 03:39:13 PM by Pixelulsar » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic