Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:26:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMisshoni - Pre-alpha Win / Linux Demo Out
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Misshoni - Pre-alpha Win / Linux Demo Out  (Read 19428 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 09:52:19 AM »

The art is great.. Smiley

The only thing that bugs me is the diagonal pillar that is rotated with hardware - and so doesn't have the pixels showing the same as the other artwork.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 09:54:12 AM »

like the music. happy, trippy, w/ an energy to do things.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 10:51:27 PM »

Wow, thanks, everyone.

@happymonster - Yeah, I see the pillar's rotated a bit odd. I could pixel it myself, but I'm not sure if I'll get around to it. The environment so far's just kind of an art test than the way it will literally go (though the finished level will look similar).

@Lazycow - I'm not sure of all of the enemies just yet, but I do have one that I'm just implementing right now, basically.

This is a Slice. They ram toward you when you approach them. I still have some things to do to make them really 'shine', though. The sprites aren't finished, really. The character's kind of based off of one I drew years and years ago that was basically just a trapezoid with an outline.

Sinclairian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 03:48:00 AM »

That above screenshot looks really promising. I love that graphical style in games, 'cause it gives such a nice retro feel, yet somehow (to me) it looks modern. Like a stylized painting.

I do like, good luck with the project, I'll be checking back definitely!
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 09:33:45 PM »

@Sinclairian - Thanks. I hope to keep working on it.

Welp, today was pretty productive. I did some stuff. I implemented recoil into the weapons yesterday, and messed around with that, trying to do a 'wave-dash' kind of technique.

It's kind of difficult to pull off, unfortunately. I probably need to work on my 'ground touching' physics a bit.

I also almost finished the Slice enemy. He does almost everything, except that he won't use only smoke particles (and there's kind of a lot of them), and he doesn't hurt the player yet. :p

Also, I sprited this guy.

I have a pretty good idea of what he'll do. Do you?

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 09:44:40 PM »

Yeah, something I like.

Maybe he jumps around in a funny pattern, or he flies.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 08:19:38 AM »

@Graham - Close, yeah. It'll involve jumping for sure.
@SnakeChair - The sun already does - the 'shine' is in front of everything, though.

So I fiddled around with the gravity after trying to make ramps. It kept sliding back, so instead of adding material-based friction (which doesn't really work well for more fast-paced games as falling characters tend to grip on the floor material like it's sandpaper), I decided to just do a raycast and handle the gravity myself. It's working alright, surprisingly.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 08:24:45 AM by SolarLune » Logged

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 08:08:36 PM »

This looks super nifty; shooting downward is the best thingy.

The ruins in the background look a bit too linear, methinks; like they're all just in a straight line perfectly parallel to the play area.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 11:05:35 PM »

@McMutton - Thanks. Yeah, the ruins are a bit linear, but I haven't completely finished them yet, and they do extend downwards a bit. Maybe I'll try to add more to it.

X-Post from Screenshot Saturday - Automatic split-screen action. Need to implement some AI for when you're playing alone next. The partner AI should be quite interesting to code, as I want your partner to be pretty intelligent and follow your lead, basically, while still being really useful.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 09:48:24 AM »

I added a smoother split-screen transition. It's not perfect, but it works pretty well. Next I'll work on the AI for your partner, I think.

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 10:34:07 AM »

The smooth transitions looks a lot better.
Is both players sharing the background intentional, because It looks kind of weird.
Maybe making it so they each have their own separate background would look better.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »

f^&k man, you are a superstar game builder
Hand Metal LeftWell, hello there!

BerringerD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2012, 04:26:10 PM »

It's sooo freaking cute!!!!!
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2012, 07:30:53 PM »

Will you be adding an idling activity? In Cave Story you can machine gun down to float around while running - awesome. In Mario there's always room to jump.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »

Thanks, guys.
@Pixelulsar - I agree, and fixed it just recently by just duplicating the split-screen method for the background. Separate scrolling backgrounds is a go.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right I'm really worried about what'll happen if you resize the window, but there's not much I can do about that right now - I'll have to test it out in a runtime soon.

@Graham - I already implemented recoil into the weapon system. Currently the pistol has it, but it's not very strong. The recoil's cut in half when you shoot down in the air, but it's working.

EDIT: Okay, so I'm starting to work on the AI for your partner. I think I'll hide her stats unless someone's playing her.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »

So you shoot down and skip in the air for a second?

I hope your partner does cool things.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2012, 10:06:34 PM »

Well, the pistol's recoil's really weak, but it does slow your descent slightly.

And I hope the partner does cool things too. :S

So far I've gotten the basic AI in for your partner - she follows you around and jumps when something's in her way. She'll also jump if a large gap is in front of her. One thing that I want to do is have as little 'do this, do that' command stuff in there - I'd like to have her just 'know' what to do, if possible. I'm trying to think of "hostility" mechanics for AI.

Basically, if you're just running around, not attempting to shoot anything, she'll follow suit, even running past enemies, even if she takes direct damage. If you fire shots at enemies, then she'll do the same to any enemies around her. If you run away while firing, then she might also assume to draw back and move toward you, perhaps also while firing. Strafing while firing at enemies would also probably be a good idea.

Since your partner will be pretty much just as powerful as you, she'll also have health. If she gets downed, you'll have to revive her, and vice versa for you (maybe, if I get that far). Maybe I'll allow Save Stations to teleport your partner to you with full health if you get to them.

I haven't really thought about the co-op mechanics that much. I'll have to implement 'head jumping' and pull-ups after the AI. Maybe I'll have a Command button that will allow you to issue simple commands ("Wait here" or "Follow me"), but I'd like to ideally keep things simple.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2012, 10:22:46 PM »

What if there's a friendly meter? If you save her ass - kill enemies on her - she's more likely to do the same for you, in the short term.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 12:25:31 AM »

Huh, that sounds like an interesting mechanic. But then, why wouldn't you ever be friendly? Also, it would kind of turn your partner into a pet - like you constantly have to watch her, or else she'll let you die later. But it might be worth it.

Also:

Basic AI and drop-in drop-out co-op, in my devlog video.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:39:58 AM by SolarLune » Logged

makallenz
Level 0

Game artist and animator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 06:54:37 AM »

This pretty gosh darn rad.  Can't wait to see it.  Also as for the friend meter I think the idea about that is she starts out reluctant to help you but then as you play you sort of level her up.  It's a linear stat increase I think nothing like rock,paper,scissors.  Could be cool.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic