Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:07:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesXCOM, X-COM and X+COM
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: XCOM, X-COM and X+COM  (Read 20532 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2013, 10:58:16 AM »

Oh man!

Loved Enemy Unknown.  This expansion is basically going to be my excuse to do a new playthrough with Second Wave.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:06:44 AM by Alec S. » Logged

feminazi
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2013, 12:56:15 PM »

i like how they announc expansion to this after the bureau :xcom fedora unknown gets stinky reviews
Dragonmaw
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2013, 12:57:38 PM »

oh, great, now when some alien hiding in the shadows pops out and one shots your full health marine from half way across the map, it'll be that much more frustrating

Never had this problem
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2013, 01:13:13 PM »

i like how they announc expansion to this after the bureau :xcom fedora unknown gets stinky reviews

Yeah, I can't help but feel somewhat sorry for 2K Marin. All the shit they had to go through to get their X-COM to market, and then an expansion for the other X-COM completely steals their thunder.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
feminazi
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »

i dont feel bad at all that the thing they releasd is an exact copy paste of firaxis's game +the shooting -the women and bombed hard. the bureau only exists because suits wanted to rerelease enemy unknown but to their imaginary version of the cod audience.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »

I don't feel sorry for the suits. I feel sorry for the many devs that busted their asses off for 8 years trying to bring this game together. And having Enemy Unknown's expansion take away the limelight is just rubbing salt in the wound.

Laserbrain Studios
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2013, 02:03:23 PM »

I personally don't feel very bad for the devs either.  The Bureau pretty much represents everything I think is wrong with the current mindset of the AAA industry, and a lot of that lies on the shoulders of the developers (In fact, I wrote a bit of a rant about this on my site).  If you look at interviews with the Enemy Unknown guys, you can tell that they really get what made the original X-COM great, and also what makes their own game work as its own entity.  When I watch an interview with the developers of The Bureau, I see people who not only entirely missed the point of X-COM, but don't really understand the design process any further than "Take the skeleton of Mass Effect/Halo/Call of Duty and paint elements of alien conspiracy and some tacked on tactical elements (which we didn't even intend to have when we started)"

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2013, 02:22:52 PM »

I don't disagree with much of anything you wrote in that rant, but bear in mind that the Firaxis X-COM is the result of one team working on their own project from pretty much a singular vision, while the 2K Marin game was inherited from team to team over and over again because nobody was really able to crack the code (which in hindsight should be obvious, since they were trying to make an X-COM game while stripping away some of the fundamentals of what makes an X-COM game).

It's just that after reading Polygon's article on the belabored process 2K Marin went through, I'm not getting the sense that the final dev team didn't "get" it. They just had a much higher mountain to climb off the bat than Firaxis did. They tried to make the best game they could with the hand they'd been dealt. And, judging from the thread on Something Awful and other forums, the game isn't really as bad as the reviews are making it out to be. It's just a worse X-COM reimagining than the Firaxis game, but still quite an enjoyable game.

Aaaand with that I'll stop defending people I don't know and a game I haven't played... Who, Me?

Laserbrain Studios
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2013, 03:23:20 PM »

idk im glad enemy unknown ended up being the revival of x-com and not the bureau, b/c it would have probably turned the series into an fps forever. the way it is we got a pretty fun "x-com lite" from firaxis and a shooter no one likes lol
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »

This makes me happy.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »

I just quitted my first game to restart. I went quite far in the game, totally aced the battle maps, few rookie deaths here and there but overall smooth progress... but my whole finance/base layout was a disaster, and after losing my 6th country i felt I should have put some money in satellites and uplinks after all Smiley

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
antoniodamala
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2013, 09:20:58 AM »

Considering going back on xcom and trying my hand on this warspace mod.
Had anyone tried it? I've heard it's more strategical or something like that.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2013, 10:16:09 PM »

oh, great, now when some alien hiding in the shadows pops out and one shots your full health marine from half way across the map, it'll be that much more frustrating

Never had this problem

I've been playing it on Classic. Happens all the fucking time to me. Line up guys for an ambush... then boom, a thin man criticals my guy while under heavy cover with a light plasma rifle. Normal actually severely nerfs alien criticals, so your guys don't get 1-shotted.

The critical bonus is really minor (like 10%) or something, but it shows up very often. If you've got a guy in full cover up against a bunch of aliens with light plasmas, not using Hunker Down can get your guy killed.

Considering going back on xcom and trying my hand on this warspace mod.
Had anyone tried it? I've heard it's more strategical or something like that.

Looks interesting, will check it out. I've played almost 50 times over on Classic Ironman. Classic is just not meant to be played on Ironman, I think. It punishes small mistakes too much. Lose a few rookies and your satellites/laser tech will delay too long. Go too fast on a bomb defusal mission and you'll lose half your experienced team... go too slow and you've practically lost the game what with the critical 'side mission' bonuses and the resulting panic. Lose a Captain+ early on and you're doomed, especially if it's a sniper.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2013, 01:42:08 AM »

I suppose I never had that problem because I game the "alien cluster" spawn system.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2015, 07:47:53 AM »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/01/xcom-2-announced/

sequel just got announced. set in a future where the aliens won and youre fighting back against them to free humanity.

xcom EU is probably one of the games that has grown on me the most so im hyped.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2015, 08:08:07 AM »

...what if they turn x-com into aterritory control and capture and defend ala JA2

...WHAT IF THEY MAKE IT BASICALLY SCI-FI JA2

UHHHHHHHHHHH
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2015, 08:12:40 AM »

YES!

Addicted

Laserbrain Studios
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2015, 09:09:31 AM »

im already liking the new UI. im glad this trend of burying information in submenus out of a misunderstood sense of "accessibility" seems to be coming to an end.

honestly my biggest wish for this game would be procedurally generated maps. i put many many hours into EU and playing the same maps over and over again got kinda tiresome. i dont even care if theyre just stuck together from predesigned chunks, i want more map variety dammit.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2015, 09:34:51 AM »

procedural maps are already confirmed. they are built from level chunks ala xcom 1
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2015, 09:54:56 AM »

ooooooh

i might actually buy this day 1 (extremely rare for me these days)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic