Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:46:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesXCOM, X-COM and X+COM
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Author Topic: XCOM, X-COM and X+COM  (Read 20536 times)
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2016, 09:18:59 PM »

Also, I keep wondering if the long loading times are because it's doing map generation and baking lighting and stuff. Stupid Unreal engine.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2016, 02:44:15 AM »

Nah, i think the loading times are just bugged and/or poorly optimized, seeing as the loading time to get back to base is longer than the one to start a mission (and can sometimes be "sped up" by pressing buttons).

Firaxis just dropped the ball on optimization in general. The most bizarre thing is how the character customization screen runs slower than everything else. I hope there's gonna be a patch sometime soon so I can maybe play at more than sub-minimal settings. On the positive side, I haven't come across any gameplay relevant bugs at all.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 02:51:06 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »

couldn't this dumb game have at least told me that using the skulljack spawns an extremely powerful enemy that can teleport and clone itself?? i just lost my 2 highest ranked characters thanks to this.

So, some things about the Codex to help out:

1) If you hit the Codex with a reaction shot during their initial reveal (the scamper move), they won't clone from taking damage. You can combine this via Ambush to kill the Codex before they have a chance to clone.
2) Cloning causes the Codex to split their health equally between both Cortex clones, which makes them significantly easier to kill; a Mag Pistol can usually one-shot a Codex clone.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2016, 11:42:24 AM »

it wasnt so much that the codex itself was difficult, it's that i was already surrounded by a bunch of troopers and 2 vipers and a muton that i ended up accidentally triggering. a new unexpected spawn completely fucked up my strategy which was already hanging by a thin thread.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2016, 12:45:24 PM »

Flashbang grenades prevent a lot of stuff from what i read, including splicing and shit. I wish i could play xdumb2

Dragonmaw
« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2016, 12:47:40 PM »

it wasnt so much that the codex itself was difficult, it's that i was already surrounded by a bunch of troopers and 2 vipers and a muton that i ended up accidentally triggering. a new unexpected spawn completely fucked up my strategy which was already hanging by a thin thread.

ah yeah, i triggered the codex way before i saw vipers or mutons
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2016, 06:34:04 PM »

ah yeah, i triggered the codex way before i saw vipers or mutons

tbh i totally misjudged the quest objectives and started far too late on them. i wanted to get a solid basis first. i also underestimated the importance of the proving grounds and built it too late.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2016, 10:44:35 PM »

yeah i did the skulljack the moment i made it haha
Dragonmaw
« Reply #208 on: February 16, 2016, 08:45:51 AM »

Nah, i think the loading times are just bugged and/or poorly optimized, seeing as the loading time to get back to base is longer than the one to start a mission (and can sometimes be "sped up" by pressing buttons).

To be specific, pressing Caps Lock causes the game to suspend all rendering and issue all load requests at the same time. It's a dev command. That's why it speeds up the base load significantly; they probably ran into long loads while testing and decided to build a command to speed it up.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 16, 2016, 11:36:28 AM »

To be specific, pressing Caps Lock causes the game to suspend all rendering and issue all load requests at the same time. It's a dev command. That's why it speeds up the base load significantly; they probably ran into long loads while testing and decided to build a command to speed it up.

then why didnt they just, u know, speed up the load times and eliminate the need for this "command"? wat a heck.

also regardless of that, the game also has framerate issues it shouldn't have considering graphical fidelity.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2016, 07:23:55 PM »

then why didnt they just, u know, speed up the load times and eliminate the need for this "command"? wat a heck.

because it freezes the game, they wanted an animated loading screen, loading single requests at a time is more stable, the list is endless
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2016, 07:44:39 PM »

still dum

this gam has 2many unnecessary animations that slow it down in general. but that was already a problem with EU
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 17, 2016, 02:32:35 AM »

Finished the game last night. The short version is that it's a significant improvement over Enemy Unknown. Although EU/EW has had some time to mature (the expansion pack offers a ton of content) so right now I'd say they're about equal, but XCOM 2 is going to be better once it receives more content because its basic systems are superior.

The serious performance issues have already been mentioned, hopefully it will be patched at some point.

The strategic layer... This has also been said, but being able to go and actually do things (instead of waiting for things to happen to you) makes a big difference and you feel more in control of the situation. Although at first you will be annoyed that you have to go and pick up your supply drops each month, unlike in EU where you just get instant money.

However, the doom clock is not threatening enough IMO. I never felt like I was running out of time to beat the Avatar Project. If all the dots on the track are filled, it just starts a countdown and as long as you can raid a facility or a blacksite during the countdown you are never going to be in danger of losing to the Avatar Project. Personally I would like to see some real consequences if you let the track get filled up too often. Maybe they could start destroying your radio relays or something if you allow them to make that much progress, I don't know.

The tactical layer: a lot more interesting with the varied objectives. In EU all missions were basically "kill the aliens + get some Meld if you can". Now there are missions to destroy objects, hack computers, protect objects from the aliens, etc. My favorite is the one where you knock out a hostile VIP and bring them to the Avenger, makes you feel like a badass.

Unlike the Avatar thing, the time limits on missions are extremely tight and I feel they might be too harsh on some maps. I was able to finish all missions within the time limit, but still felt like I was being rushed into making bad decisions and that wasn't cool. Also sometimes the civilians will block pathing to your objective which can really ruin your day.

Balance-wise, I like that the difficulty curve is smoother in this game compared to EU/EW. Those satellites took so many resources to build that you didn't have any money left for equipment. Now you have enough supplies to buy some upgrades for your troops early on, making the beginning of the game more friendly to newbies. It also helps that much of the cost of making new resistance contacts comes in Intel, which is a separate resource from what you use to buy items.

Sword rangers are amazing in the early game, but quickly fall off in usefulness, probably because the swords can't keep up with the damage of other weapons. Each sword upgrade seems to give +1 damage instead of +2 damage. I would recommend retraining your sword rangers into a stealth-focused build when the swords don't cut it anymore (heh).

Other classes are mostly balanced. I like the buffs to gunslinger snipers a lot and I use them much more often now. Grenadiers do the thing that heavies did in Enemy Unknown and it's just as effective now as it was then. Maybe even more effective because of the armor shredding. Tbh I find it a little boring that the same tactic that worked so well in Enemy Unknown (spamming explosives with the heavy) remains the most generally useful tactic in terms of classes.

Mimic beacons are by far the best utility item and probably needs to be nerfed. Basically when you put a Mimic Beacon out the aliens will focus ONLY on destroying the mimic for as long as it lives. They will even put themselves in bad cover just to get a better shot at the Mimic. Sometimes they will waste their entire turn trying to defeat the Mimic and then you can just flank them and take them out. I'm not sure how to balance it, but a good place to start would be increasing the cost of the item like they did with Mimetic Skin.

Finally, I will say I was pleasantly surprised by the characters on the Avenger. The plot might not be that good overall, but I enjoyed interacting with Tygan, Shen Junior and Bradford a lot and seeing what they think of each other. Also the final transmission from the Spokesman was amazing. Thanks for the help, bald shadowy dude.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2016, 11:07:45 AM »

i agree on the avatar project thing definitely. i thought the doom track in EU was too strict and railroaded your decisions too much. so at first i was happy about the more freeform way it's handled in xcom2, but now i feel like they went too far in the opposite direction.

patch just came out btw
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2016, 06:00:30 PM »

game doesnt run any better after the patch lol
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 20, 2016, 03:29:45 AM »

Thing that happened the other day:

I was on a kidnap VIP mission and only had 2 turns left. The evac zone was on the roof of a building. The only enemy still alive was a mech that had seemingly skipped a turn and fucked off to some corner due to an AI glitch. Or so I thought. I managed to evac 3 of my soldiers and the VIP and would have easily gotten the other 2 out next turn.

Except the mech that I erroneously thought could no longer hit me decided to destroy the roof I was standing on, knocking down my 2 remaining guys to the building's ground floor and blocking off access to the evac zone. I only had 1 turn left at that point. I thought "maybe if I destroy the evac zone using a grenade it'll be moved to my level". So I did that. The game DID spawn a new evac zone in response, except it was in the opposite corner of the map. FUCK THIS GAME SOMETIMES, SERIOUSLY
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2016, 03:35:33 AM »

By all accounts, what you did should have worked. I don't get how the programmers didn't catch that bug...

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2016, 05:50:09 PM »

No, it worked. CA just ran out of tiem. Sad

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2016, 06:26:44 PM »

no it's all bradford's fault. not only is he an obnoxious handholding nanny who keeps interrupting gameplay to tell u obvious things, he is also fucking stupid and/or a sadist.

"hmmm ok this roof our soldiers were supposed to evac from collapsed and alien interceptors are closing in on them. should just pick them up from now exposed the ground floor? nah, that would be too simple. oh i know, tell the skyranger to land 2 blocks away in an area our guys can't possibly reach in time. that is clearly the best plan".

tl;dr fuck bradford
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2016, 04:32:10 AM »

The mod that shows if a move is going to flank an enemy is a godsend. Same for the "stop wasting my time" mod.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic