Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:37:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTumbledrop - now complete and playable!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: Tumbledrop - now complete and playable!  (Read 44961 times)
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2009, 03:16:29 AM »

Thing is, Dante16 is going to profit from that game. That makes me wonder; is Tumbledrop going to be free or will it have some pay-to-play system?
Tumbledrop iPhone will cost money, but offers a lot more than the current web version. There will always be some sort of web version available to play for free though.

twitter: @docky
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2009, 03:20:46 AM »

Thing is, Dante16 is going to profit from that game. That makes me wonder; is Tumbledrop going to be free or will it have some pay-to-play system?
Tumbledrop iPhone will cost money, but offers a lot more than the current web version. There will always be some sort of web version available to play for free though.

That is quite a reasonable plan I can get behind. Nowadays too many developers want consumers to shell money out first before playing.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2009, 03:24:49 AM »

If he actually redesigns it, then I see nothing wrong with it, because I guess then it will be as much a rip-off of Tumbledrop as that is a rip-off of Totem Destroyer, or whatever was first. If this does end up in the AppStore and can still clearly be considered a rip-off, I guess only then is the time for you to commence your holy war.
Tumbledrop was designed from the start to be as little like Totem Destroyer as possible, because I didn't want it to be a rip-off. It was one of my influences though, as well as Peggle.  His game clearly was built around the idea of being a rip-off, and he went to efforts to duplicate unnecessary things. Even Red Star has its own merits in comparison to this.

JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2009, 06:02:09 AM »

That idiot doesn't know how copyright works.  Nice.

I say we beat him with a sack of oranges.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2009, 08:29:59 AM »

That idiot doesn't know how copyright works.  Nice.

I say we beat him with a sack of oranges.
Lead oranges. Hand Thumbs Up Right
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2009, 09:49:56 AM »

Hey Hayden, send a mail to that asshole and menace him with a real laywer, like a cease&desist, i'd do it if i would in you, scum like that deserve all the bad they can get imo.

He cloned even the water!!!  Angry

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2009, 12:46:55 PM »

Tumbledrop was designed from the start to be as little like Totem Destroyer as possible, because I didn't want it to be a rip-off. It was one of my influences though, as well as Peggle.  His game clearly was built around the idea of being a rip-off, and he went to efforts to duplicate unnecessary things. Even Red Star has its own merits in comparison to this.

This is the essence of it, I think. Dock, you clearly have a conscience about what you're making. You've put a lot of work into making your game have its own esthetic. You've made your gameplay different enough to differentiate itself.

I feel that if anyone had accused you of immitating Totem Destroyer you would have responded by honestly saying that the other game was an influence, but that you've tried to make your game unique and not tread on anyone's toes. I don't think it would have turned into a big mess of monkey politics like this has...

Judging by the way this Dante fellow writes, he's not entirely unintelligent or selfish.  unfortunately he's made a mistake, and rather than having a good attitude about it, he has convinced himself his best recourse is to act like he's been victimized and get all defensive. I think it would be a bigger victory to get him to drop the victim act and see reason than to form a lynch mob. I hope that that's somehow possible.
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2009, 07:10:13 AM »

Looks like I registered my new profile at a time of distress; Im sure this situation must be more that a little bit annoying and I sympathise although hopefully it will come good for you as I think you have talent.

The extra exposure can't hurt I guess, escpecially considering the smooth quality of Tumbledrop.

Shocked
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2009, 06:04:47 PM »

It was a fun game. Great when i was bored. Smiley

But i wish there was a congrats when you do all of them
i went from 1 and finished all 20 then it just went back to 1 and i was like aw.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2009, 11:50:08 PM »

Episode 44 of Bytejacker did an awesome piece on the Blopo situation, raising awareness of the problem.

Dante16 has since taken down the blopo video from youtube!

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2009, 12:15:32 AM »

So he has. Great news.

bento_smile
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2009, 11:36:29 AM »

It's still on myspace though! http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=57746332

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2009, 06:46:52 AM »

this guy sucks hairy donkey balls, when i was 19 i never thought about copying a game like that, he was an asshole without excuses.

Now i only hope he will never release that crappy clone and focus on making something original instead

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2009, 02:30:15 PM »

You can forgive him for his young age of just 19, but only if:

-He removes any plans to profit from his ripoff game.
-He assures the public to not rip off anyone again,
-He starts trying to think up original ideas.

Yeah copying a game with so many graphic similarities is shit, but I don't see any problems with copying the mechanism, this is everyday business in videogames.
I just wish he worked on it more to make it really original.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
bento_smile
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2009, 11:21:59 PM »

It's lame that he couldn't make the star, and had to compromise and use circles instead.  Hand Thumbs Down Left Shocked

(I think he's 20 too. Some of his bios are out of date. Either way, old enough to know better.)
raiten
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2009, 02:36:27 AM »

God damn it people calm down, he's just a kid. He's NOT a langdell. People lynching him are langdells, if anything. Sure, the game in the video looks like a carbon copy of tumbledrop but it was just a video, not an actually released game and hopefully he's changed the concept around as he claims he has. come on people, wanting to create a copy of a game you love is nothing unusual and to me, that's perfectly fine. The wanting bit, that is. No need to lynch him for it, just let him know the game is way too similar to Tumbledrop!

(on an unrelated note, let's make the noun "langdell" the new word of 2009)
raiten
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2009, 02:37:20 AM »

It's lame that he couldn't make the star, and had to compromise and use circles instead.  Hand Thumbs Down Left Shocked

what, is that a joke? he should have copied it even more exactly?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2009, 03:11:07 AM »

19-20 years old is not really a kid any more.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 15, 2009, 03:23:09 AM »

God damn it people calm down, he's just a kid. He's NOT a langdell. People lynching him are langdells, if anything. Sure, the game in the video looks like a carbon copy of tumbledrop but it was just a video, not an actually released game and hopefully he's changed the concept around as he claims he has.
Yeah as pointed out, not really a kid, and the app was already submitted to the app store when the video was uploaded so it's not 'just a video'. Also you have a major hardon for this langdell chap, maybe you should look into that.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2009, 04:39:45 AM »

I forgot to tell you Alex: I just submitted a new game to the app store, it is called "Bryson". Basically, I took everything that was good about your game, homogenized it and took a big fat crap and sent it to Apple in a box. Just thought I would let you know, before any feeling get hurt.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic