Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:11:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDishonored
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Dishonored  (Read 7994 times)
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2012, 03:06:43 AM »

Who has gotten it and what do people think?

I'm ~1.5 hours in.

Thoughts:

-I love the setting and the art direction.
-The stealth is pretty decent.  I particularly like the nonlethal takedowns and the keyhole peeping.
-The general structure of the game is feeling pretty Deus Ex: Invisible War.  This isn't horrible, but it's definitely not the Deus Ex I would have emulated.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 03:19:51 AM »

more importantly: how does it compare to Thief?
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 03:42:47 AM »

I'm way early into the game so it's too early to make a fair assessment. I'm still in the first cave in hard mode, but I'm finding no trouble in sneaking up on the guards and taking their lights out. I know this is just the beginning, but I was expecting some challenge by playing in hard. We'll see.
forwardresent
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 04:51:54 AM »

I pre-ordered it and I'm looking forward to it. Ideally I want it to be a Steampunk Dark Messiah. Roll on midnight.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 06:02:18 AM »

more importantly: how does it compare to Thief?
it is hardly a stealth game. doesn't make sense to compare the two

Um...I'm not sure what you mean.  I'm playing it as a stealth game. 

As for comparisons to Thief.
-Stealth isn't as vital.  If you get into a fight, it's much easier than it is in Thief.
-Sound and light aren't as important.  Light especially so.  Line of sight is the most important thing (To my knowledge they can't hear you if you are in sneak mode and don't break anything).
-Skill wise, it's a wash. There aren't analogues for any of the different arrows.  But the magic powers give you a lot of freedom.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 07:19:28 AM »

ah ok, thanks. btw your deus ex invisible war comparison was kinda a buzzkill for me because i didnt really like that game

i still think i'll get it though. the setting looks really cool and i have a lot of respect for both arkane and harvey smith. speaking of which, is it anything like dark messiah, because that game was fucking rad.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 08:17:56 AM »

I haven't played Dark Messiah (I know, I know), so no ability to make comparisons.

And yeah, Invisible War is a disappointing reference point.  Maybe it's just where I'm at in the game, but the general structure seems to be very mission based.  Inside of the mission you have a lot of freedom how you go about the mission, but it's not as generally open as Deus Ex or Deus Ex:HR (it doesn't just drop you into one large level and say "Go have fun").  This is why it reminds me more of Invisible War (which felt a lot more mission based than the other Deuses Ex).
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 08:53:35 AM »

Well I'm hearing the game being compared to Hitman as well. If it's structured like that I'll probably like it. I preordered it on Steam anyway, let's see how it turns out.
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »

Are there difficulty levels? Couldn't fathom how it could be even slightly challenging from the trailers.

Alternatively, is there good potential for challenging yourself by imposing your own restrictions on abilities or what-not?

How cheap or deep is the challenge, where present?

challenge challenge challenge
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 11:30:09 AM »

I guess if you just never bought any powers it'd be tougher; ditto the equipment upgrades you can get from Brad Dourif.

It's fantastic but it's not *hard*
deathtotheweird
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 11:56:12 AM »

The general structure of the game is feeling pretty Deus Ex: Invisible War.  This isn't horrible, but it's definitely not the Deus Ex I would have emulated.

this isn't entirely inaccurate but I feel any comparisons to deus ex iw are going to be misinterpreted by people. the comparisons to IW end at mission and level structure. each level (so far) is essentially a hub with various connecting areas. one of which leads you to your end goal and the other ones are mainly optional. nothing else about the game reminds me of deus ex iw. in fact for the most part I get a clearer deus ex vibe. what with the plague and the loads of relevant reading material. and of course the martial law-ish setting.

Are there difficulty levels? Couldn't fathom how it could be even slightly challenging from the trailers.

according to wiki: There are four difficulty levels which affect the effectiveness of health and mana potions, and enemy awareness, damage delivered, and responsiveness. The easy difficulty also enables health regeneration.

I play on normal and it's a bit easy, but I've yet to try the others. you can change the difficulty mid game though, so switching isn't a problem.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »

just an fyi, you can use the 25% off code on green man gaming to get this for $45 right now

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 02:57:11 AM »

ok, i just got done with the escape part and so far this game is more or less bioshock. i'm playing on "hard" and i haven't had to use stealth at all. it's much less of a hassle to just kill everyone because the enemies aren't particularly tough. now i guess i get what that guy who said it's "barely a stealth game" meant.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:05:13 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
CaptainKraft
Level 0

Chillin like a villin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 10:52:14 AM »

From what I've seen in the trailers and preview videos online, this game looks sick. One of the coolest things that I heard (straight from the developers via G4TV) was that you choose the method that you complete the mission.

Linear games aren't really my thing because you can't pick it up and play it again with any sense of surprise. When you can choose whether to possess a rat or slit the guards throat, I think it makes for an interesting 2nd, 3rd, etc. playthrough.

Can anyone confirm that what they claim is the case? Are there multiple ways to complete the game?

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 11:33:27 AM »

Well, yes and no.

In every mission there are 2 ways to complete the main objective, a lethal and non-lethal way.  So, every mission is actually 2 different orthogonal missions and you can choose to complete one of them.

Now, as for how you go about completing the missions, there is a lot of leeway.   You can teleport around the roof tops and go unseen.  You can run in and kill dudes.  You can possess rats and sneak by.  You can sneak up and kill guys.  You can sneak up and choke guys.  You can stop time to sneak past electric turrets.  You can rewire turrets to kill enemies.  You can remove the power source for turrets to turn them off. 

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »

what's the deal with these coins everywhere? did the whale oil industry make this city so rich that people just leave their cash lying around???
deathtotheweird
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »

Can anyone confirm that what they claim is the case? Are there multiple ways to complete the game?

well without being spoilery there are some ways to kill a target without directly killing him. and there are often multiple ways to traverse a level.

definitely similar to deus ex in that regard. multiple ways to handle quests, multiple ways to take out your target (environmental or lethal/nonlethal or in one case an npc will help you), and multiple paths in each level to reach your destination.

right now I'm focusing all my runes on just a few powers, so on my next play-through I can try out the ones I didn't use. should make future play-throughs more interesting.

what's the deal with these coins everywhere? did the whale oil industry make this city so rich that people just leave their cash lying around???
I leave my cash lying around. I bet if I died of plague my money would still be sitting in some super obvious spot and some asshole would come along "what's the deal with this money everywhere??".
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 02:36:11 PM »

welp i just beat the first real level.

i dont wanna go into too much detail but i gotta say this game is pretty fucking good. i love the setting and it's obvious they put a ton of effort into the level design
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »

If devellopers really went and made a fully "open-level" game, people would be complaining that the game is broken Noir
You need "walls" to prevent that or else it would require an army of devellopers and testers to balance the difficulty and the game would appear boring because not rewarding intelligence

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 07:48:15 AM »

Just watched a bit of a lets play. I don't know if this is the main evil guy, but the guy who calls you a traitor at the beginning reminds me a lot of the evil guy in Fable 3.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic