Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:13:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDishonored
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Dishonored  (Read 7995 times)
nekokoneko
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2012, 12:33:37 AM »

I feel like this article sums up a lot of my feelings with the game

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/ae-blog/2012/10/13/some-thoughts-dishonored

As much as I really enjoyed a lot of elements in the game I feel that they failed in implementing choice that mattered.

Side quests for Safe codes or Keys to areas which can most likely be accessed from more beneficial points, while nice it feels lack luster. If youre going to give me choices make the choices actually matter.

Oh and the game is far too easy, although at this point i've no idea if im too bias. I watched some letsplays and it was quite jarring as they were fucking awful at the game and they often just didn't "get it" so i really dont know.

That being said the AI move speed, parrying and alertness on Very Hard was cool as fuck, its just still too easy to utterly crush them with your overpowered abilities.

I also didn't feel like there was ever any need to use multiple abilities and the mana dynamic didnt really push for it. I liked that there was some regen but it penalizes creativity, especially when there was NO reason to use more than one to get the job done... theyre just that strong. Perhaps a cooldown or One use > Recharge entire bar would work better (As in, you can use any ability once and it will regen entirely so you can chain them more freely) That or a build system where you pick between ~2-3 abilities. I didnt really see much reason to get more than Blink2/Agility2, so when i got stop time and shadow kill i just decided to go through the game killing everything and it became trivial.

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2012, 01:11:04 AM »

As much as I really enjoyed a lot of elements in the game I feel that they failed in implementing choice that mattered.

Side quests for Safe codes or Keys to areas which can most likely be accessed from more beneficial points, while nice it feels lack luster. If youre going to give me choices make the choices actually matter.

Oh and the game is far too easy, although at this point i've no idea if im too bias. I watched some letsplays and it was quite jarring as they were fucking awful at the game and they often just didn't "get it" so i really dont know.

That being said the AI move speed, parrying and alertness on Very Hard was cool as fuck, its just still too easy to utterly crush them with your overpowered abilities.

I also didn't feel like there was ever any need to use multiple abilities and the mana dynamic didnt really push for it. I liked that there was some regen but it penalizes creativity, especially when there was NO reason to use more than one to get the job done... theyre just that strong. Perhaps a cooldown or One use > Recharge entire bar would work better (As in, you can use any ability once and it will regen entirely so you can chain them more freely) That or a build system where you pick between ~2-3 abilities. I didnt really see much reason to get more than Blink2/Agility2, so when i got stop time and shadow kill i just decided to go through the game killing everything and it became trivial.

why not summon rats
freeze time
take over one of the rats
sneak up behind someone
Unpause time
Then Get yourself caught.

ArcueidSaber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2012, 10:27:01 AM »

No solid plot again, disappointed.
But the gameplay is nice.

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2012, 01:08:16 PM »

I've seen a few let's plays on YT and really like what I've seen.  The fact that you can complete levels by being stealthy or going out guns-blazing is nice.  Definitely gonna pick this up sometime.

Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2012, 07:39:49 PM »

He addressed the biggest point.

Played through on Very Hard. Wasn't very hard.

Usually ran around with full potions, plenty of ammo & equipment. Killed every enemy and explored every area/path I could find.

Only used powers in a pinch, mainly slow/stop time againstgroups of enemies. Only started using Blink significantly in the last couple levels, as Agility tends to suffice. Never used Whirlwind in practice, never bought Possess or Devouring Swarm, or even Dark Vision. Point is I gamed this game hard, preferring to hoard stuff (inc. runes) for a rainy day that ultimately never came.

Yet occasionally I had to expend lots of ammo. Crude spamming tactics are very effective, vindicating the effectiveness of hoarding. Game gets easier as you amass enough powers & goodies to become an unstoppable killing/evading machine.

Powers are largely just toys in an awfully sparse sandbox. Using them for shits & giggles puts you at a disadvantage . You should be compelled to use them all the time. Player Choice® is a tired meme that reared its head where it's unwelcome.

Combat's okay, just a bit unexciting thanks to overautomation, simplistic goofiness, and a bunch of obnoxious time-waster non-threatening enemy types. Stealth's good, but not good enough to make it worth the lethargic agony of sneaking past everyone rather than ambushing/whittling down from concealment IMO. Locomotion is nearly spot-on, with better free-running/climbing than most all 3rd person games. Exploration is fascinating & rewarding, definitely the game's strong suit.

One of the better games in the last few years. Plenty of better games in the same vein though.

Frankly they should've trashed the Deux Ex influences early on here (I love DX-alikes). An open world, no equipment, recharging instead of potions, massive and difficult encounters where you have to use everything available to you, more powers, no ham-fisted multiple endings... as it is the game has a personality crisis and untapped potential coupled with bloat. It feels designed by a committee of 13 year old ideas guys.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2012, 06:50:07 AM »

Just finished it on normal, got the low chaos ending...

Messing up with the powers is fun but the game is not really challenging once you have a lot of them. The last mission was very easy. Gonna try again on a harder difficulty.

I'm curious about the mission of the ball with the 3 sisters , do they change on each playthrough?

lolpatrol
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2012, 07:37:13 AM »

I'm curious about the mission of the ball with the 3 sisters , do they change on each playthrough?

They are not always the same color, if that's what you mean.
ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2012, 07:47:01 AM »

Yeah, there's a few things like that in the game. I think the script makes that kind of choice after the point where the save used by the mission menu is made.
nekokoneko
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2012, 08:06:03 AM »

There were some safe codes that you get from saving people, only id kill guards in order to save them and find out the code then load a previous save. Is there a way you could randomize that? Then again im just a shitty person.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2012, 12:30:12 AM »

I don't recall saving someone and getting a safe code? I unlocked every safe and also killed (nearly) everyone.
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2012, 01:00:56 AM »

I don't recall saving someone and getting a safe code? I unlocked every safe and also killed (nearly) everyone.

There are some, though I think usually you can find the code elsewhere or they only have useful items rather than runes or gold (i.e. I helped a guard out and he opened a safe full of ammunition)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2012, 04:33:38 AM »

On the Sokolov mission, there's a group of people locked behind an electric wall. If you deactivate the wall and set them free, a woman among them gives you a code for a safe (I did that and couldn't find the safe after).

But that was the only time someone gave me a code, most of the time I found it written somewhere, I even found one with a riddle which was pretty cool.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2012, 05:33:34 AM »

I watched the trailer on Steam and got a strong BioShock kind of vibe; gorgeously rendered and nicely stylized environments (for its time), some kind of unique/uncommon theme that's kind of a mix of past and future but totally its own time/place, and FPS action with weird and unconventional weapons. Very evocative of BioShock, which I almost hated. It just wasn't a good game apart from its theme and hype; it was a bland, mediocre FPS with a few extra bells and whistles that aren't uncommon to the types of games its borrowing from. To make matters worse, I couldn't even finish it because the PC version had some issue where it corrupted your save files and I was right at the end when that happened. Anyways, if someone can say that I'm right about BioShock being a POS and this game is actually worth getting, then I might check it out someday.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2012, 07:01:28 AM »

I watched the trailer on Steam and got a strong BioShock kind of vibe; gorgeously rendered and nicely stylized environments (for its time), some kind of unique/uncommon theme that's kind of a mix of past and future but totally its own time/place, and FPS action with weird and unconventional weapons. Very evocative of BioShock, which I almost hated. It just wasn't a good game apart from its theme and hype; it was a bland, mediocre FPS with a few extra bells and whistles that aren't uncommon to the types of games its borrowing from. To make matters worse, I couldn't even finish it because the PC version had some issue where it corrupted your save files and I was right at the end when that happened. Anyways, if someone can say that I'm right about BioShock being a POS and this game is actually worth getting, then I might check it out someday.

Bioshock is great for it's narrative and setting, the gameplay is good and has some nice new ideas but very badly balanced IMO.

Anyway, Dishonored plays more like Hitman/Thief than Bioshock. I finished the game without ever firing my gun since it makes a lot of noise and doesn't have much precision, and the habilities you get are not "magical attacks" like most on Bioshock are.

Of course, that's up to how you prefer to play the game.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 08:32:43 AM »

phubans u r full of shit

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »

@phubans, I didn't like Bioshock (or even System Shock 2) at all. Lost interest a few hours in, but stuck with Dishonored. Pretty much agree with this:

Very evocative of BioShock, which I almost hated. It just wasn't a good game apart from its theme and hype; it was a bland, mediocre FPS with a few extra bells and whistles that aren't uncommon to the types of games its borrowing from.

Only cared for Bioshock's theme and visuals.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2012, 12:32:11 AM »

Kool. I'll probably grab it when it goes on sale for $5 - $20 in a couple years, lol. I believe that a good game should offer at least 2 hours per dollar, a great game: 3. I put in about 120~ hours into Dark Souls an that game was $40. I'm not sure what I spent on L4D2 when it came out, probably $60, but I'm over 800 hours in that now. Fallout 3, 200 - 250 hours. I don't like the idea of paying $60 for a 5, 10, or 20 hour experience, regardless of how great that experience is.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2012, 12:41:06 AM »

why don't you just play an mmo then

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2012, 12:47:38 AM »

I'm a guy who spends most of his life in an apartment away from other people. Why would I want to play a game where I'm constantly surrounded by them?

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2012, 01:17:45 AM »

Hey guys, you wanna know my price breakdown for what I am personally willing to pay for a game and the metrics by which I calculate my enjoyment?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic