Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:32:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDishonored
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Dishonored  (Read 8047 times)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2012, 01:24:29 AM »

please tell me my loins quiver
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2012, 01:29:16 AM »

Yeah, some of us have to have standards when it comes to value because we don't have our parents paying our rent.

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2012, 01:31:59 AM »

I think the issue was more of why you would go into detail on your pricing structure for games to a bunch of strangers on the internet who in no way would ever give a shit about them
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2012, 01:36:12 AM »

Why is anyone posting anything then?

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2012, 01:38:59 AM »

[Excerpt from a post I made on The Art Guy source, an insular community of "art guys" and likeminded visual sense aficionados]

Let me tell you about my trip to the MoMa to see the Van Gogh exhibition:  First of all, the cab ride cost too much and the seat was damp, and then I had to pay a so called 'donation' just to get in, and it was like 20 dollars?  Lady, lemme tell you, most of the people you're showin' off here are dead and don't need to get paid.  So I didn't go inside because unlike some of you plebes I care about what my dollar's worth. I hear a lot of people say Van Gogh is similar to Monet, which is disheartening because I like Monet's impressionism (squiggly lines, etc), I just don't find his compositions to be good.  Like, they just aren't interesting to me.  So could someone who doesn't like Monet and otherwise holds the same views as me tell me if I made the right choice?
AshfordPride
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2012, 11:41:18 AM »

MoMA is a fucking scam.  The Met lets you pay whatever you want as your donation to get in, which is incredibly nice of them.  I usually slip them the lowest denomination of bill I have on me.  And I've never been to the MoMA when it wasn't fucking packed, so enjoy rolling in that dough.  Also your bitchy security guard yelled at me for mocking a shitty piece of conceptual art in an obviously sardonic manner. 0/10 would not donate.

Anyway here's my equation for video game value versus time: Never give Bethesda a fucking dime for being horrible.  I have that bronzed, and it hangs over my computer. 
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2012, 12:29:30 PM »

Value is insanely important for those of us that are insanely poor and don't pirates shit ...

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »

Let me tell you how I decide whether to buy a book. I have a strict ratio of one dollar to fifty pages. so i would pay twenty dollars for the latest twilight novel and two fifty for a brief history of time or perhaps a copy of macbeth
AshfordPride
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »

I'm so glad we live in a world where all mediums can be judged by the same merits.  Did you know that I consider all movies unable to meet my standards because their length can never justify their price? 

Or maybe I'm going to wait until the Christmas sale for $20, or Summer sale for $5.  Meanwhile you can enjoy the absolute privilege of playing Hitman Creedshock a few months before I got my hands on this presumably 2/5 game that I really have no interest in.  Video games ain't books, you aren't going to trick me.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2012, 01:50:07 PM »

when I go to the videogames store, I ask for 2 kilograms of videogames and I give the equivalent of 5 dollars (in furs) .

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »

Thanks to overhunting, much of Canada's once thriving beaver population was decimated and furs were hard to come by, raising their prices so much that one could not even buy the newest videogames or applications with one unless they were the daily deal on steam

I support the catholic church because the vatican has 2.27 popes per square kilometer -- more than any other religion
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2012, 03:40:21 PM »

Its cheap on steam right now for the holiday sales, is it worth getting?

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2012, 04:20:56 PM »

yea, if you like stealth games and also games that are really really easy. it's fun

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
feminazi
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »

i got this at around 25$ and played around 5 hours and got bored
it's a choose to play stealth or action game (and obviously stealth is the "right way" to play it so what's the point) and i think it's not good enough on either front and i found it to be repetitive. the graphics style is neat except everything looks the same. i don't care for the story in this game at all.
i think a taste marker on this game is if you liked "deus ex human revolution" you'd like this game. otherwise i'd pass.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2012, 07:08:30 PM »

the game is as repetitive as you allow it.

there are plenty of combinations you can use to accomplish your tasks, you just need an imagination. it's really fun the ways you can come up with killing people. though if you play non-lethal, it is indeed repetitive. there are only a few ways to non-lethally take people out.

the missions are far from repetitive, I thought the locations and objectives to be quite well varied. only downside to this is that the game is on the short side, but I still managed to squeeze about 12 hours out of it. there's plenty to do outside of the path you're given, though it doesn't have much re-playability.

the story is pretty dull, but the graphics, setting, and general atmosphere of the game is enough to make up for it.

definitely one of the best games of the year. though this year didn't offer a whole lot, it's still worth playing.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »

Thinking back, my biggest problem with the game was the that the seeming moral ambiguity was anything but.

At first, I liked how taking the "good path" (i.e. the not killing path) wasn't actually good.  I mean having people's tongues cut out and being sold into slavery certainly doesn't seem like a good thing to me.  But then the game revealed that no, that is the good thing to do, and you are a good person for having done so. 

The game as it stands makes me think that all those involved are horrible sociopaths. The correct way to take the game would have been for there to be no difference in the ending based on your actions.  But leave it to me to be upset by the lack of subtlety in a AAA game.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »

I agree, I really hated that.

I also didn't like that Corvo was a character in the game, but also a silent protagonist. the player isn't Corvo, like the player is Gordon Freeman. the player is playing Corvo. so everyone was talking to Corvo and he has this relationship with Emily, but doesn't say a word. it really takes me out of the experience.

it works fine in HL2 because Gordon is basically a blank slate. and works fine in BioShock/SS2 because there is next to no NPC interaction. but it's just lazy in Dishonored.

and it was so painfully obvious they were going to betray him. Corvo, a master assassin and personal bodyguard of the Empress, actually lets his guard down to complete strangers and accepts a drink without question. even after reading that guys diary where he refers to Corvo as a tool. what a dumb fuck Corvo is.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2012, 06:01:01 PM »

But the true star of the game is the heart

deathtotheweird
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2012, 06:13:05 PM »

I thought the heart was a interesting way of delivering exposition. not very good, but interesting at least.

much preferred reading the books/notes and listening to the audiographs. the heart felt disconnected from the world around it, and doesn't really make much sense. they should have used it for gameplay elements rather than simply just to find charms and deliver random tidbits about characters.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2012, 06:13:28 PM »

i hated the heart
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic