Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:20:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMotivation in games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Motivation in games  (Read 2805 times)
Seth
« on: September 15, 2008, 08:47:42 AM »

So I've been thinking about how in so many video games the motivation of the main character is often really shallow, like, save the princess/world or become the best fighter/businessman/whatever.  Now, these are motivations most people can relate to, because who wouldn't want to be the hero or the best? (and these motivations allow for a lot of direct and overt conflicts)

BUT

There are so many more motivations that people have every day that aren't so simple (though it could be argued that what drives everyone is the desire to be happy).  Aren't there other motivations that we could be working with?  Ones that aren't so clear and uncomplicated?

I don't mean for this to turn into a theoretical thread, but rather I'd like to hear ideas for uncommon character motivations in video games that would make an interesting game (or examples that already exist)

For example, off the top of my head, what about a man who suspects his wife is cheating on him and wants to find out if she is?  Or someone who is creepily obsessed with someone?  A young man who wants to leave his podunk hometown?
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:09:53 AM »

Somewhere down the line I will make a game about a man trying to destroy all religion on earth.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:40:38 AM »

I actually had an idea (I might post about it in the Dream Games thread later) for a darkly comic RPG, about a man who wanted to lose his memories. He did some things in the past that he regretted quite a bit, and thinks that forgetting them is the only way he'll ever move on.

I'd also like to see a game where your character is a reporter just trying to get info on a news story. Of course, traditional media have shown that there are a lot of different places you can go with that idea, so I think it'd be fun to start there.
DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 09:51:34 AM »

I've thought making about one where the main character wants to truly achieve equal rights in America. Mind you, the main character will be white and a great deal of his method will involve not only tackling the regular racism fare, but also the "inverse racism" stuff. Minorities always talk about "white privelege", but affirmative action and all this "diverse" business doesn't seem very equal either.

I also think a game based on the premise of The Handmaid's Tale would be neat. Maybe a woman trying to escape from such a state or even someone who wants to overthrow the government and reinstate womens' rights.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:12:07 AM »

I don't think any of my projects has such a simple motivation, it's always something... more interesting. A lot of my stuff deals with, in fact, "evil" protagonists, and their motivations are much more convoluted than those of the average man.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 11:22:05 AM »

I actually had an idea (I might post about it in the Dream Games thread later) for a darkly comic RPG, about a man who wanted to lose his memories. He did some things in the past that he regretted quite a bit, and thinks that forgetting them is the only way he'll ever move on.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind RPG? Gentleman

Saker
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:01:53 PM »

Are these days the " uncommon-BLAH"?
really ... every game supposed to have its own story and its own "Motivation" ... anyway .. maybe i'll post my ideas later
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:09:08 PM by Saker » Logged
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 12:50:13 PM »

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind RPG? Gentleman

What can I say? I'm a big fan of Charlie Kaufman. The original idea was more inspired by the abundance of conveniently forgetful protagonists in RPGs (which means they themselves are forgettable- zing!).

On a side note, how awesome would a game based on either Adaptation or Being John Malkovitch be?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 01:00:06 PM »

Kratos?

Or "The videogame pussy who hides it behind muscles and RAEG!"?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »

Kratos?

Or "The videogame pussy who hides it behind muscles and RAEG!"?

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who sees him like that.

A bit like that, only perhaps with less testosterone. If there's one thing the industry could use less of, it's testosterone.
Renton
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 01:31:39 PM »

I see Kratos as a big ball of contradictions.
I mean;
"I'm so sad because I killed hundreds and I regret it. :pulls the arms off a minotaur:"
And later;
"Oooh. I'm so strong and powerful. I'm gonna kill gods!"
What the hell happened to "I regret my kills?"
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic