Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411802 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 11:43:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTomb Robber (working title) - Demo 3c
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Tomb Robber (working title) - Demo 3c  (Read 6050 times)
CFreq
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:20:21 AM »

Genre: Platformer, Multi Screen
 Size: 2.85mb
 FileType: Exe
 Resolution: Doesn't change

Download Demo:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ze4ewbv58mwnpuw

The demo ends after level 11.

How do you feel about the difficulty?
Can you find any bugs?
Any feedback is appreciated! Smiley
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:23:43 AM by JTR » Logged
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »

What great game! Interesting mixture of Pharao's Tomb and Livingstone, I Presume. I like the graphics, they take me back to more simpler times. At first I thought the jumping felt odd. Being able to control the height of the jump would be great but the more I played, the more I got used to it. I like the traps, but saying "you tend your wounds" after being decapitated was a bit funny. All in all, jolly good performance. Keep it up! Smiley

Siro
Level 0

Knowledge brings fear - Futurama

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 11:54:35 AM »

I like this.

I didn't notice any bugs and I think difficulty is ok (I finished the 9 levels in two tries, but i used lots of medikits in the second game); next levels should be even harder!

I really like the "score for medikits" mechanic.

The only odd thing is that the graphics for the oxygen area in level 9 are a bit odd, but I suppose they're placeholders...
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 07:04:17 PM »

Love the graphics. The reloading is really cool. Level design is pretty good. Great work.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
ArcoT
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:45:54 PM »

Things i loved about your game:
1. The colour palette you used looks fantastic.
2. What you did with the gun is a nice touch (reloading, checking ammo).
3. Had fun trying to find ways to get to all those items in closed rooms.

One thing that did bother me a bit (mainly due to my personal preferences) was the controls. It would be cool if the player had the option to set them to whatever he wants.

The only thing that ticked me off about this game were the snakes! Just had to try and kill them all!

I'll be keen to play this when it's fully done!
zachlindblad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 01:30:51 AM »

Wow, that reloading mechanic. So simple, but works so well. Was half expecting to take falling damage a few times from the quasi-realistic feel.
Would've liked a little more difficulty, but with some more good levels to continue your difficulty curve, this will be pretty interesting.
man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 08:41:18 AM »

This is really good. Love the involvement of the reloading mechanic, and the highlighting of enemies you can kill.

No real glitches found, other than:

The Air Vent symbol occludes the player when they jump into it, I imagine this would look better when transparent.
Death doesn't seem to reset your oxygen level.
Snakes can sometimes do a bit of a dance when they lunge at you near an edge. They don't seem to get stuck or anything, it just looks a bit odd.

Also having the level clear screen after each level would make it a bit more consistent. Obviously awarding 500 points for the starter levels isn't necessary.

Overall though really fun, lovely graphics, great sounds, good report on your actions, interesting level design and clever traps, and a good sense of humour. I like the difficulty too. It's hard, but you can save any time, meaning you can reload the start of difficult sections. Good stuff.

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
impulse9
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 10:03:37 AM »

I like it a lot. Smiley The only thing that bothered me a little were the sounds. I think the sounds of dying and getting hurt could be replaced with something better. Also the game could use some background music.
CFreq
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 12:12:20 PM »

Many thanks to all for your feedback! Smiley

Eigen:
-Yeah, I prefer to keep things simple when it comes to graphics.
Great to hear if they're delivering at least some kind of a nostalgic vibe. Gentleman
-I've yet to make a final decision about adding "variable jumping."
-Have to agree about the medkit screen. Tongue

Siro: Glad you liked it!
-The problem is, I'm already out of ideas on how to emphasize the vents on the level...  Shrug

Quicksand-S: Thanks! Hand Thumbs Up LeftGrin

ArcoT:
-I've been thinking of adding editable controls. I'll give it a try at some point.
-The snakes annoy the heck out of me, too. Tongue
Maybe they lunge at the player a little bit too fast...?

zachlindblad:
Not planning to add fall-damage, but a suitable animation (*SMACK!*) and a small delay to get up could be a possibility. Grin

man of doom:
-Very nice to see that the reloading-mechanic is getting positive responses.
-Thanks for the bug reports.
Probably would have never noticed the vents by myself.

impulse9:
Most of the sound-effects are pretty much just placeholders at this point. Music will be added later.
I might give it a shot myself with a midi-sequencer...

So far the game is progressing smoothly
I'll try to upload a more recent "snapshot" pretty soon.
Just need to give my level-designing flow a little kick at this point. Coffee
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:18:55 PM by JTR » Logged
Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »

Your game was a lot of fun! I loved the reloading and the sound effects. I didn't play for very long, but I liked it. Only I wish you'd have done a separate animation for climbing ladders. Even for a retro approach, that feels like something that wouldn't have been too difficult to implement. Some BGM would have been nice too.
JDM
Level 0

Quattro Bajeena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 04:18:58 AM »

I am genuinely excited about seeing a full version of this.  I haven't yet completed the demo, because I can't stop making dumb mistakes on level 7.  

The CGA palette here is awesome and looks classy as hell.  Makes me want to make something in those colors.  

I'm a big fan of the games this puts me in mind of: Monuments of Mars, Pharaoah's Tomb, etc.  My project I've been working on most the year (Caverns of Khron, which doesn't have a TIG thread yet, began life as a reexamination of Mars).

A lot of the sound effects actually remind me of the Soundblaster era of DOS games.  They don't necessarily all seem to go together (and that seems to conflict with the CGA visual presentation), but I was actually liking them more and more as I spent more time with it.  

The gun reloading is great and leads to some really tense moments.

The interaction between score and health/continues is great.  Like, I love it.  It also leads to the great comic moment when you watch your head get decapitated and then the graphic shows up that tells me "You tend to your wounds..."

There was a really strange bug when I was in level 4.  I was just about to enter the pyramid when my character appeared to fall through the floor, then appeared in the upper left part of the screen.  I don't know what that's about, and I can't replicate it.  

As much as modifiable controls, I'd either like a jump button that isn't up, or another jump button that does the same thing.  I think "variable jump" is something the game can do without.  

When this is released in full, I'm gonna do what I can to spread the good word.  Consider me a fan.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 04:26:18 AM by thesycophant » Logged

kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 04:56:23 AM »

I really enjoyed it! The only comment I think I can make is that some of the traps are near impossible to predict, which might make some players feel cheated.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 05:09:54 AM »

Pretty please add some sort of way of making your own levels - even drawing an image with certain colors would be enough. I'd love, and I'm sure other would too, to create some extra challening levels for others to try.

kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 10:16:09 AM »

I'm actually addicted to this now! I cant stop playing! Looking forward to the finished product!
CFreq
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 04:24:31 PM »

I've uploaded a more recent version.
Only 11 levels so far, (sorry) but I've included a couple of new features and tweaks for you to test.
All the bugs should be fixed, too. You can now remap the keys, but jumping and climbing are still (temporarily) sharing the same key.
JDM
Level 0

Quattro Bajeena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 03:42:23 AM »

One tiny bug I noticed this time is that when I died on the 11th level to a bat above the fire, I fell throw the level and through the status screen at the bottom.

The only thing I'd liked to see changed at all is the save/exit dialog box and the scores drawn in that lovely DOS font in a way that matches the rest of the game's presentation.

Also, do you want this to be the sort of game that only allows you to save once?  As it is, if I quit, I can come back to that save file any time.

Really like the new levels.  That little phantom enemy is a fantastic thing, and you've set up a very good use of a very neat gimmick for level 11. 

CFreq
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 07:22:33 AM »

Small bugfix update. Also, a separate Jump key.
Twitch
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 08:48:46 PM »

This game is awesome! Reminds me a lot of Pharoah's Tomb, which I loved as a child.
ddthegreat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 09:29:18 PM »

This game is nice, I really liked the retro graphics. it did take a bit to figure out the control scheme but once I did, I felt it fit the game well.

One think I would like is for the Robber to keep running when the right arrow is held across levels instead of stopping and having to let go of the key.
ludist
Level 0

PEW PEW PEW!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 03:07:08 AM »

I was really surprised by how awesome this game was.  The graphics are interesting, -especially- the death animations.  I died the first time at the gate of the pyramid, and I was shocked and immediately stoked to see my head pop off.  The writhing in agony after being killed by a snake is another masterful touch.  Like that cat on the tree, like the snake attack animation.

I don't like the green line for the gunshots, or the sound that plays.  It sounds like I'm shooting a space blaster.

The opening screen makes me really excited to see a mummy.  I love that pixel art.

The loading/checking ammo mechanic is really fantastic, and the chance to drop your bullets makes getting hit even more stressful.  Great work.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic