Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:03:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpud's Quest
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Spud's Quest  (Read 10852 times)
ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 04:20:18 PM »

I didn't actually know Lolo existed till a long time after I'd made Spud, so you can imagine the shock Tongue

Thanks for feedback, all of it as well as ideas are welcome. I'll be posting updates soon here.
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 04:22:53 PM »

Great news to see this is still being made, been watching for ages now. Good luck with Kickstarter

ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 01:09:31 AM »

Some music samples, not final or anything, just ideas that need building on.
The first is for the forest area, second for the mines.

Sample:

ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 03:36:28 AM »

Markus Persson aka Notch just backed my project- wow. Legend.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 03:45:24 AM by ChrisD » Logged
ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 03:06:44 AM »

But we could say Lolo was a blue version of cool spot or dizzy Tongue
ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 04:25:43 AM »

An image of the four temples in Spud's Quest- the Earth Temple, Water Temple, Fire Temple, and the Ice Temple:

ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 01:32:18 AM »

Little update.

So Andrew Oliver (dizzy creator/co founder of Blitz Games) rang me yest chatting about my game. He's one of my early game idols so that was kinda nervy to actually have a convo with him. He's interested in seeing a playable version. Also gave me a nice lil' quote and pledge on my kickstarter :D

I spam worked on it in the evening and just about finished up the Earth temple.

Thinking about getting a demo wrapped up sometime.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 04:23:34 AM »

So Andrew Oliver (dizzy creator/co founder of Blitz Games) rang me yest chatting about my game. He's one of my early game idols so that was kinda nervy to actually have a convo with him. He's interested in seeing a playable version. Also gave me a nice lil' quote and pledge on my kickstarter :D

That's super cool.

ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 05:10:28 PM »

Yup :D

I've posted an update on the Kickstarter project discussing more about the first temple.

I did a run through of the first [of four] temples and it took me twenty minutes- that's with me knowing where every item is, how to solve every puzzle, and overcome every obstacle. So it could take a newcomer maybe forty-five minutes to an hour to get through, maybe more.

I just had a count up and the temple consists of 42 screens- so it's like a mini Dizzy adventure in itself! As with every screen in the entire game, nothing is filler (one of my pet peeves is filler screens in these type of games). Every screen has a feature, a theme, a puzzle, or something interesting about it.

More details at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409406442/spuds-quest/posts/344537
ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2012, 04:57:36 PM »

Just a quickie update- I'm planning to release a demo sometime this week for people to try out. The demo will contain the whole of the Earth Temple, which is the first temple/dungeon in the game.

This temple consists of 40+ screens, and it's a contained area with it's own puzzles and items. Due to time restraints the demo might not include the boss creature or save points (probably won't be needed anyway).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409406442/spuds-quest/posts
ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »

Demo here
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 11:52:36 AM »

brb, time to play  Cool

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 04:02:41 PM »

Demo \o/

K, so after playing a bit, here are my thoughts:
I think the controls need to be improved, they often seemed unresponsive and unintuitive. Mostly the action key, it seemed to rely on me being standing still which resulted on me having to keep pressing the key multiple times to perform an action. Attacking also felt strange, because there's a delay after the attack animation was over

One other thing, pressing Down to change controls was really hard to get used to, I suggesting changing that to C or Space Bar for example

Enemies could drop health when they die and there should be checkpoints because it's easy to die by enemies respawning when you change screens and then you just lose the interest in playing Tongue
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:02:08 PM by 7Soul » Logged

ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 04:24:22 AM »

Thanks for the feedback,

I've made loads of tweaks based on what people have said so far so I'll look into tightening the controls.

There is saves etc in the main game, I just dropped 'em for the demo.

Cheers
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »

I got a bug :B

When I get the frog past the second room, and I enter the ones with a lot of switches, he says something about the switched, then says "hmm.." again, and nothing. There's no apparent way to exit that dialog screen.

edit: ok just started the game again, this time it went past that, basically the first time it somehow restarted the dialog screen, said "hmm.." again and stuck there, this time it worked. I unlocked the first door using the I O I I I combination, went past it... then I got trough the door again because I got confused with the keys and it teleported me for an instant in a place with snow or ice, something like.. just for a frame, then the game crashed.

I have to say I love Spud's animations and the whole setting... it looks like a Dizzy game but it's way smoother and enjoable, but seems like you have to go bug-hunting for a bit
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:47:53 PM by Eclipse » Logged

ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 01:44:12 PM »

You say you got the same dialogue pop up twice? Is this everytime you play or just a one off bug? I'll look into that, thanks.

In other news, I've updated the Kickstarter rewards selection, quite a list of new ones to take a look at:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409406442/spuds-quest/posts/352381
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2012, 01:49:21 PM »

You say you got the same dialogue pop up twice? Is this everytime you play or just a one off bug? I'll look into that, thanks.

In other news, I've updated the Kickstarter rewards selection, quite a list of new ones to take a look at:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409406442/spuds-quest/posts/352381

yes, happened only the first time I played, now I'm on my third run, second one ended quite weirdly too Tongue

I'll try to reproduce at least one of them and let you know.

EDIT: just nailed the "teleporting" bug! To recreate it you have to activate the first door, ram X to walk past it and then while you travel between locations press down to activate prince Charming, it will briefly show an ice-looking location and then crash the game. Press X various times to go back and forth and while you press also press down. It's the easier way to recreate the bug.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:55:55 PM by Eclipse » Logged

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 02:18:08 PM »

Besides those two bugs, that you'll surely fix it before release, I have to say this game seems very good, but I have few complaints as well:

- As 7Soul said, controls feels a bit weird :\ I find myself using my right hand a lot more than my left hand, that serves only for shooting and the use key, I'd like to jump with a button that's not the up cursor, and have that one to do the things it's been historically used in platformers: walk past doors, climb up stairs and ropes.

A perfect control combination for me would be:

SPACE - action key! there's no better key for that
Z - shoot
X - jump
C - switch character

up and down cursors will still be useful to climb up and down ropes and stairs. At the moment seems to be impossible to switch character while Spud is on a stair\rope. Up cursor is also the best way to walk past a door in any platformer, you just know it works Tongue

- second complain: Prince Charming is going to annoy me a lot if he keeps talking instead of letting me use the objects I just found! I'm in front of an old mechanism that I KNOW needs that cog. Stop talking you stupid frog, I pressed the action button not the "annoy me" one!
I mean, when your user presses the action button, he wants to open the "action\inventory" menu, so please keep prince charming blabbering as a one time event triggered by you standing near the mechanism. I had to use the stone cog standing on a side of the mechanism instead of staying in front of the perfectly fine place to put that cog only because the frog wont let me open my inventory Undecided

ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 03:43:23 AM »

Thanks, will get that sorted. A few have made similar suggestions about the controls, so I'll address them for the proper game.

ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 05:41:04 PM »

Posted an update regarding changes that'll be made for the full game.

LINK
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic