Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:16:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralYour favorite game series
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Your favorite game series  (Read 8642 times)
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: June 22, 2007, 09:51:45 AM »

I was browsing though the street fighter thread and it made me take a walk back in time when I used to line up at the arcade, waiting to catch a glimpse of the new street fighter iteration. I remembered the excitement and joy that it brought me when simply looking at the game...

I got me thinking... What is your favorite game serie, all gaming platform combined? What title makes you wet your pants when knowing a new title comes out? What's the one serie that you automaticaly buy the new game without even playing it or knowing its crap?

Mine is the Street Fighter series, specialy the SF2 and Alpha. I didn't enjoy the third as much, although I love watching people play it.

Katamari Damacy serie is quite close...

About you guys?

Ps: If this thread already exists, please let me know I'll delete this one... Wink

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 09:58:11 AM »

i dont like series.
i tend to play the first of a series, and then never bother with the rest.
this happens mostly with new-ish games.
like katamari damacy.
love it. adore it. one of my all time favs.
i have tshirts, i drew fan art, the works.
but i never even touched the 2nd one.
id rather play something new.

but as a kid i was nuts about sonic.
and well, i guess i have to make an exception for zelda, since ive been playing all itterations of that series for pretty much all my life. one of the first videogames i ever played, etc etc. classic.

rey-o
Level 1

'here i am, rock you like a hurricane'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 10:04:09 AM »

street fighter games are pretty much it for me too - and then when they did vs. marvel and snk that was like a total fanboy dream come true.

i used to be pretty fanatical about final fantasy games too. but that kind of wore thin. i'm with fish when he says he'd rather just try something new.

that being said, i have a friend that is totally obsessed with 'super robot wars'. he's probably played every single one, and will often put down everything else to play the crap out of it.

cheers, rey-o
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 10:21:34 AM »

prior to rock band's annoucement i might have said guitar hero.
i really, really, reallyyyyyy love guitar hero.
it please the musician-wanabe in me in ways it likes to be pleased.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 10:47:35 AM »

I don't play much series actually and don't enjoy them much but, for some reason, I just have to buy the street fighter games, even if I'm not gonna enjoy it. Dunno why, I just have to do it! Perhaps I should seek a psychiatrist... Wink

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 10:50:19 AM »

should i start a thread asking if im the only one here who dosent care about street fighter?

im a soulcal man, myself.

ah, there's a series i love. soulcal.

CosMind
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 11:10:29 AM »

2d metroid series
2d mario series
2d legend of zelda series
2d castlevania series
pikmin series
ratchet and clank series
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 11:20:25 AM by CosMind » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 11:14:06 AM »

I don't think I've really ever been fan of a serie of games except maybe for CRPGS of the troika/Black isles genre. Fallout, baldur's gate,etc..Yes I'll probably buy any game of the serie, even any game using the same engine, even if I've been seriously disappointed by some of them.

The Heroes of Might and Magic games were also some personal favorites.

At one time I was also a fan of the Lucasarts SCUMM games, but I quickly became bored with the repetitive "humour" and situations so I won't mention Monkey island as one of my favorite series because the latest episodes were as boring to me as the ocean 1X movies...

I also bought all of the Unreal games but it was mainly to play with the engine.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 11:21:14 AM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 11:15:38 AM »

I also bought all of the Unreal games but it was mainly to play with the engine.

hey me too!
thats pretty much how i became a level designer.
never played the games. always thought they were so incredibly boring.
but the editor...kind of got me where i am today.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 11:22:21 AM »

hey me too!
Were you on BUF ?

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 11:24:12 AM »

Umm, yeah.
Pikmin, Fallout, and Metroid (Including the Primes) are all that come to mind right now.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 11:31:55 AM »

should i start a thread asking if im the only one here who dosent care about street fighter?

im a soulcal man, myself.

ah, there's a series i love. soulcal.

Quoted for absolute, immutable truth.

Also, Castlevania is pretty good, as was Sonic. (note "was", of course..)

olücæbelel
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 11:53:28 AM »

hey me too!
Were you on BUF ?

i....dont think so.
id just get the tutorials i needed from wherever i could find them.
i didnt actually build playable levels then, tho. no DM maps or anything like that.
i got my kicks out of just building environments for me to...fuck around in.
like a kid building a little fort, id just build myself castles, and little scities etc etc.

completely off-topic but, one day, for my father's birthday i built this map that looked like nothing but a weird maze with a tall tower in the distance. i sat my dad in front of the machine and told him "just get to that tower", and he did. and the top of the tower there was a large opening, overseeing the whole maze. there he could see that the maze patern actually spelled-out "happy 50th".

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 01:06:14 PM »

You know, everyone talks trash about the decision to move Metroid to 3D, but I liked Metroid Prime.

Sure, the clunky control scheme felt remarkably un-Samus-like, but the investigative/exploratory aspects were really neat. I enjoyed all the little read-ups about alien creatures and artifacts.

The fact is, and you can extend this to the concept of sequels in general, if I wanted to play Super Metroid, I'd play Super Metroid. I don't think they need to release exactly the same game over again, a la "Castlevania: Symphony of Still Using Graphics From Dracula X More Than Ten Years Later." The Japanese sequel market, in particular, is brutal. It's sheer exploitation and laziness to reuse as much material as possible and try to sell people the same thing they already own again, except now with 'FOUR NEW WEAPONS!' or whatever.

If I like a game, I might play one sequel which is more of the same, especially if I felt the first one was too short, but in my opinion gamers owe it to themselves not to reward companies for being lazy or unimaginative.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 02:51:20 PM »

hey me too!
Were you on BUF ?

i....dont think so.
Ok I was refering to BeyondUnreal Forums, great little community centered around everything Unreal.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 04:24:46 PM »

Zelda.
Mario (not any of the spin-off series, just the main games [screw the Parties and Golfs, etc.] like SMG, SMS, SM64, etc.).

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 04:34:02 PM »

http://www.commander-keen.com

Not necessarily my all time favorite, but definitely a series that I loved!  Everything from the theme and story to the great gameplay.  Really captured the fun of being a kid, and I'd play this all the time at summer school.  You know, a 3d Commander Keen game would be fun as heck.

Fan art:

Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 09:48:54 AM »

There are a number of series that I buy every game of, but by far my favorite is Pheonix Wright.

i dont like series.
i tend to play the first of a series, and then never bother with the rest.
this happens mostly with new-ish games.
like katamari damacy.
love it. adore it. one of my all time favs.
i have tshirts, i drew fan art, the works.
but i never even touched the 2nd one.
id rather play something new.

What really bugs me is that he has so much potential. He's a video game designer that said that he doesn't like video games because they aren't original enough.
He needs to stop making Katamari Games and start on something new.
Beautiful Katamari had better be the last one.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 09:59:49 AM »

There are a number of series that I buy every game of, but by far my favorite is Pheonix Wright.

I love Phoenix Wright! (who would have guessed?) But I've only played the first two, so I can't really think of it as a "series". (Not yet anyway - apparently the next one is the best of the lot, and from what I've read the new Japanese one is incredibly popular).

So I don't really know what my favourite series is - I really like Final Fantasy, but only 4 through to 8, and I really like Silent Hill, but only the second one... And like "moi" I love the old Bioware games, but I didn't like Neverwinter Nights and I haven't liked anything they've done since.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any series of games that's been consistently good. Cry

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 06:16:50 PM »

Game series? Elite, elite, ELITE!

Especially the latest (lol, that's sounds funny saying "latest" about a game that is absolutely considered classic) FFE...

Too bad that Elite IV will never make it... at least I don't believe in it anymore :/.

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic