Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:40:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralYour favorite game series
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Your favorite game series  (Read 8630 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »

Mine are the MegamiTensei/Persona games, the Xenogears/Xenosaga games, and the Tecmo's Deception games.

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 05:04:27 AM »

Hmm Elite.. I'm the most fond of the second game. FFE was cool too. Never quite got into the first game. I think it would be interesting with a more super deformed used, plus friction in space and dogfight physics, kinda like the first game had. Oops, brain went off again. Other stuff that surface:

• RebelStar Raiders - LaserSquad - Ufo/Xcom
  • The Megaman Legends series because of its characters.
  • Sim * games are interesting to me because of their sandbox elements.
  • Let's hold our thumbs for StarControl >2 , and maybe StarFlight as well.

Series I lost intrest in:
  • Quake >1
  • Zelda >1
  • Metroid >1
  • Dune RTS >2
  • DragonWarrior >1 (Although III, for GBC is looking hot!)

Series that never really got going:
  • Blaster Master (NES and Sega Megadrive/Genesis)
  • Paradroid (C64 then Amiga)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 05:33:15 AM by Arne » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2007, 06:02:16 AM »

The Katamari guy was really pissed off that he got roped into doing more Katamari games as he said himself that it only had enough legs for one game. He said he only went back and did the sequel because they were going to do it with or without him and he figured they'd fuck it up if he left them to it.

That said he seems like a morose guy with a poor attitude about video games. So let's see what he does next, last I heard he did want to make a new video game so at least that's a good thing.

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2007, 08:13:33 AM »

No one has mentioned King of Fighters yet? The originator of episodic gaming!? Series of games are usually fun when there is more than just a contextual tie from one game to the next. Liking KoF games is fun and all, but watching the series change as the company changed was fun. Seeing SNK and Capcom fight it out until the fighting scene started dying and SNK really died... it was really interesting. Of note: strikers were always a bad idea.

The series I like paying attention to aren't necessarily the most fun to play, but they're the most fun to watch development from one to the next. Usually I like following directors because watching developers grow is more fun than watching an IP being tossed around. Developers I like: Mikami, Kojima, Suda51, Ueda, Anouma, American McGee. How weird is it that I can't think of more American and European developers that I like?

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2007, 09:03:12 AM »

Lot's of good series mentionned but I have to agree that unspoiled series are quite rare... If any...

I usually like one or two games of a serie and then loose interest. Are the gunstar heroes a serie? Cuz I'm no expert but I don't think there's ever been a bad gunstar hero game... Metal slug is pretty solid but it is very repetitive...

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 03:20:47 PM »

i ditto xix's comments about the directors in a big way.  i've lost some faith in kojima, to me Metal Gear Solid was his magnum opus, and the sequels have been so much masturbation...but Mikami, Miyamoto, and Ueda will continue to push things in a big way I think.  Also, there are some studios/teams that will continue to do amazing work I think - Ubisoft has two teams (BGE, King Kong, Rayman team and the Sands of Time/Assassins Creed team), then Sora Ltd (former HAL members), and Sony Santa Monica.  I wish Rare was still on this list Sad

But this is kind of offtopic Tongue  The series I really love are the basics I think...mario, zelda, metroid, FF, doom/quake, castlevania...all of these series have had misses, but in general the themes and production values and gameplay have always intrigued me!

cup full of magic charisma
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 05:44:05 PM »

The series I like paying attention to aren't necessarily the most fun to play, but they're the most fun to watch development from one to the next. Usually I like following directors because watching developers grow is more fun than watching an IP being tossed around. Developers I like: Mikami, Kojima, Suda51, Ueda, Anouma, American McGee. How weird is it that I can't think of more American and European developers that I like?

I don't know about American McGee.  He has some kind of potential, and I'm interested in the projects he undertakes, but I wouldn't be surprised if Alice was the only good game he ever makes. Huh?

These days I'm really much more interested in indie developers.  Obviously I'm biased because, you know, I hang out with you guys all the time ( Tongue ), but then the reason why I do is because there's so much energy going around, and so much undiscovered territory that indies can tread... not only for us but for the game industry as a whole (and art and all that).  It's exciting as hell.

You know, I'm still really impressed and interested in whatever Miyamoto, Kojima, Ueda, and whoever is doing, but it's just not the same.  I like to tell myself that if I were in the position of success that they were, I might want to go indie (even briefly, for one game) just for the heck of it.  Maybe even a freeware game.  I mean, how awesome would that be?!
Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 05:48:40 PM »

You know, I'm still really impressed and interested in whatever Miyamoto, Kojima, Ueda, and whoever is doing, but it's just not the same.  I like to tell myself that if I were in the position of success that they were, I might want to go indie (even briefly, for one game) just for the heck of it.  Maybe even a freeware game.  I mean, how awesome would that be?!
I just hope that once you'll be on the "big seat" you'll remember that Derek xP.

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 05:59:51 PM »

So Aquaria is gonna be free now? Wink

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 07:26:23 PM »

*shoots self*

Outer God
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2007, 08:51:26 PM »

Hmmm...lessee.  Castlevania's a fun series, but wat pisses me off is it has so much potential to expand (like wat symphony did) in both 2D and 3D, but all they do is throw out the same iteration everytime.  still gets me hooked though, which is evil.

Final Fantasy series is pretty good, though i'm finding a lot of flaws with each new installment as of late, and that's really ruining the experience for me.  with the latest, i'm loving the difficulty curve of FF12, but for a game that allows freedom in customizing your characters, it doesn't offer much, making the character development rather poor and mundane.  it's like they're all the same character, they just look different.  even FF6 had more ideas.  still a fun game though.

Zelda series is awesome, though i'd like to see them take it into a different direction while still retaining the same feel.  they outta add loads of easter eggs and fun little gameplay quirks to make the environments more vibrant...not just saving it for dungeons.  but wat's with the kiddy difficulty level?

Mario is still cool too.  Mario 64 has to be one of the best 3D platformers i've ever played.  anyone seen the 20 minute speed run for it?  goddamn jackie chan skills right there!

Metal Gear Solid series for the story.  Kojima is a master story teller.

Commander Keen scares me...

sorry for the rant, but i can't help it.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2007, 09:18:29 PM »

I should add Joakim Sandberg to my list  Grin  And hopefully Derek Yu soon!!  (sorry I didn't like ED Tongue )

EDIT - oh yeah and Kenta Cho/ABA...and the guy that made Poyo.  And Nifflas...

DOUBLE EDIT - and the behemoth, AND moonpod...sheesh this is a big list...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 09:23:02 PM by AdamAtomic » Logged

cup full of magic charisma
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2007, 10:30:55 PM »

(sorry I didn't like ED Tongue )

BANT! Wink
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 11:28:11 AM »

My favorite series is of course Rogue

I also like Ultima's with V being my favorite, and Final Fantasy still has a place in my heart... I recently played PSX tactics, much better than the GBA version IMO (but then, maybe it is because I love theme, which sucked in GBA)

Apart from that, Castlevania and MegaMan... Civilization, Age of Empires (Though my computer won't run AoE III... needs a GRAPHICS CARD?, but II was cool) and well, that's what I remember from the top of my head

Tongue

GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 08:10:44 AM »

completely off-topic but, one day, for my father's birthday i built this map that looked like nothing but a weird maze with a tall tower in the distance. i sat my dad in front of the machine and told him "just get to that tower", and he did. and the top of the tower there was a large opening, overseeing the whole maze. there he could see that the maze patern actually spelled-out "happy 50th".

Missed this earlier.  This is really great.
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2007, 09:48:52 AM »

Monkey Island

Quake

Civilization

Mario

Galactic Civilizations

Railroad Tycoon

Tropico

Those last three lead me to ask, does having a sequel count as a "series"?

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 10:15:07 AM »

Well, personaly, I think that yes, if there are more than one title, it's a serie. Short but a serie none the less...

It's nice to read about all those great games that influenced us. It's always fun to know the gaming background of fellow devs. Smiley

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2007, 09:50:26 AM »

Favorite series

Castlevania: Favorite series ever. No doubt about it. Played them all except the obscure arcade one, Curse of Darkness (although I wasn't too fond of Lament of Innocence, so maybe I'm not losing on much) and the latest DS ones.

Doom: I love Doom what can I say.

Metroid: I love them I also like the Primes.

I've kind of lost my interest in Final Fantasy and also in all of Square Enix to be honest. In the past when they announced a new game I was all sorts of giddy excited like a fanboi... those days are long gone.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2007, 12:56:22 PM »

I've kind of lost my interest in Final Fantasy and also in all of Square Enix to be honest. In the past when they announced a new game I was all sorts of giddy excited like a fanboi... those days are long gone.

To be entirely fair, Final Fantasy XII was pretty great. If you can look past the somewhat crippling fact that your main character is kind of a useless nonentity who contributes nothing to the plot, the gameplay was fantastic and the story was pretty excellent for a Japanese RPG (which isn't saying much, I know).

But then, I considered it more of an update of Vagrant Story than a Final Fantasy, I suppose.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic