Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 05:47:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XV - Escalation
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XV - Escalation  (Read 3467 times)
mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 07:00:33 AM »

Hmm...
I'm new to these forums, and just stumbled upon this challenge.

Today is October 31.  The contest ends at midnight tonight.  I think I may try to pull something together to submit after I get off of work...

Am I crazy?

trurkowski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 08:39:11 AM »

So, I planned to enter this challenge, but unfortunately my hard drive has early onset Diabetes and I've had to send my laptop out for service... I can't write without it :/

However, I'd like to leave you with this "Escalator" music

Teehee.

Big Laff Toast Right
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:30:11 AM by trurkowski » Logged

Sound Design & Music Composition<br />http://soundcloud.com/trurkowski
E-Rock
Level 0

A Robott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 10:23:27 AM »

Just to clarify it for everyone, the challenge does not end tonight, it ends tomorrow night!  About 35 hours from now.  So there's still a good amount of time to get something submitted.

Also, great tracks Judah, and Peregrinus.  I'd go more in depth on my opinion, but I've only listened to them on my laptop speakers so far... which is hardly the best way to listen to any music. 

Too bad about the HD, trurkowski.. I had similar issues recently, but fortunately I didn't lose anything.  Good luck with all of that though.

Audio Engineer/Songwriter
-Eric
trurkowski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 10:31:38 AM »

Having two backups of everything helps Tongue

Sound Design & Music Composition<br />http://soundcloud.com/trurkowski
medieval
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »

I just happened to make something today that, although it doesn't entirely fit the theme of this challenge, I thought I might post here anyway;

The reason I believe it still works is because there is definitely an increase of intensity going on in the song.

I hope this'll suffice!
SabreDance
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »

Wow so glad I finished this in time!

I imagine this as a hard jungle level on a lemmings like game, when it starts to get really hard.

http://soundcloud.com/sabredance/escalation

E-Rock
Level 0

A Robott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 09:02:36 PM »

And now the challenge has officially ended! ALRIGHT!  Congrats to all those who entered!  I certainly have a task ahead of me to determine who has the "best" song among you, and who will have the honor of hosting the next challenge, that I personally cannot wait to participate in!  I won't be submitting my judgement at this current time, but rather, tomorrow afternoon...as it is currently midnight for me right now and I'm quite sleepy. 

-Eric
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 04:35:40 AM »

So sorry I didn't make a submission, after all; Hurricane Sandy blew the power at my house. Sad

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
E-Rock
Level 0

A Robott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »

Damn.  I was afraid that the hurricane would effect peoples' ability to submit something for this challenge.  I hate to hear that.  I used to live right next to the gulf coast, and we were affected by 3 hurricanes in the span of a few years.. so I definitely know how that goes.  Hopefully everything will return to "normal" very soon for all of you on the east coast.   

Although I would like to be able to extend the deadline, I did already call it over last night, so I'm going to go ahead and stick with that.  Maybe those of you who were unable to submit something will be able to do so on the next challenge. 
Judgements will be coming very soon.

-Eric
E-Rock
Level 0

A Robott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 01:02:10 PM »

Before  I say anything, I want to say that in no way am I a professional music critic of any kind.  And it's really tough for me to be critical of anyone else's work, because I'm not even sure that I could do any good at all with this challenge myself.  So be sure to take anything I say with a grain of salt.  I'll just try to give my initial thoughts that come to mind as I listen to each song. 

Ok, here are my judgements! 

RayWonder - From The Shadows - I love the instrumentation in this song.  It definitely has a very epic feel to it.  As I said before, it sort of seems like a boss battle sort of song, which is suitable for the challenge.  I like the intro and outro percussion sounds quite a lot.  One very minor complaint would be the repetitiveness of the main rhythm part, but the melody is fluid enough to make up for it.  And given how quickly this was entered, that is hardly anything to feel bad about.  This is definitely a great piece!

KeepItSimple - Escalation - I like the synth sounds in this, especially the bass part.  The pitch shifting and "laser" sounds give this an interesting feel.  Sort of whimsical, maybe?  The ending, with the tempo increase and the sort of frantic way the melody is playing with the pitch wavering around is a cool effect that gives a good sense of urgency.  The transition into the tempo change was done nicely as well.  Again, maybe a little repetitive on the rhythm side of things, but since it's a fairly short song, it's not a big deal. Great entry, overall! 

Lauchsuppe - Escalation Rag - This style of this one caught me off guard, in the best possible way.  The mix sounds great, with the crackle of an old timey analog recorder, and I like the piano sound quite a lot.  I like the melody you came up with, and the tempo increase and franticness at the end is just great.  I guess my biggest complaint would be the robotic feel of it.  But I hate to be picky about that, because it also sort of gives it a unique feel as well.  So maybe it depends what sort of situation the song was being used for (maybe like a steam punk robot racing game? lol).  This was cool though.  Unexpected and very interesting.

pgil - Act 2 - It helps a ton that you had a clear vision as to where you wanted this piece to be in relation to another (presumably) imaginary "act 1" music.  It definitely put me in the right mindset for this song, and it helped me see what you were going for.  I like the percussion going on.  The pads are very nice and pretty, and I like how they fade in and out.  The flow of the song is nice, it never gets stuck on one part too long.  Cool instrumentation, I like the little things mixed in from time to time.  I can see this in an exploration type of mission in an open world style game.  This is definitely one of my favorites from this challenge!  Great job!

Judah Roydes - Things are Heating Up - intensity right out of the gate, I love the orchestra sounds used in this quite a lot!  I'm not going to lie, I'm a sucker for a nice guitar riff, and this has some very nice guitar riffs in it.  Mixed in quite nicely with the orchestra as well.  Nice job interchanging the guitar solo with a string section lead to end the piece.  I like the rock drums when they come in, but a very minor thing I would like would be for an occasional cymbal crash. Of course, that's minor, and isn't something that dramatically changes the overall feel of the song.  I can see this being used in a action game boss fight sort of situation.  This was great, well mixed and well written.  Keep this up!

Peregrinus - Sin Revealed - I always love a well done orchestra sound, and this is no exception!  Cool piece.  I like the build up, and the ending doesn't let down.  It really gives the feeling that some bad stuff is about to go down.  Like things are opening up, and it's time to get into action!  This is good.  It feels like cut scene music to me.  I'm not sure if that's a complaint, but I still feel like it fits the challenge very nicely.  Very good! 

- A video is cool, I wouldn't mind seeing more things like this in the future!  Since you didn't expressly write this for this challenge, I won't criticize it with respect to how it fits with the challenge.  If it were to be used in a video game, it feels more like a cut scene or credits rolling type of song.  I do see what you mean with the increase in intensity though.  But anyway, I like the song.  It's nicely written, and nicely played.  Good job, and thanks for posting it here!

SabreDance - Escalation - I can definitely see what you were going for with this one.  It works quite well, because there is a frantic pace with the song.  I like the filter on the drum part.  The sort of string sounding melody part sounds nice once it comes in.  This is pretty good.  It is a little repetitive overall, but of course it all depends on where this song would be used as to whether or not that's really a bad thing.  Very nice!

And The Winner Is:

Judah Roydes - Things are Heating Up!
When it comes right down to it, this was the song I came back and listened to more than any of the others, because it's a fun and intense piece that really establishes the idea that... well... things are heating up.  Also, personal taste is a large part of it, as I said, I'm a sucker for a good guitar riff.

Honorable Mentions:

RayWonder - From the Shadows
I really do love this song. This was a really fun listen, and impressive how quickly it was entered.  I wish I could pick multiple winners, 'cause it was very tough for me to pick anything over this song. 

and

pgil - Act 2
This song did a great job of putting me in the mindset that I was looking for with this challenge.  Such a well written piece for the challenge, and I really did enjoy listening to this song. 

Great job everybody though!  It's certainly no easy task to enter one of these challenges.  You should all be proud of yourselves for sure!  Now Judah, get on with the next challenge already! Beer!

-Eric
JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »

HELL YEAH AWESOME!!!! Thanks for hosting this super fun challenge E-Rock. I am really glad every one worked so hard to submit really cool music. I had a lot of fun listening to everyones entries. I should have the next challenge posted in the next 24 hours or so. I hope all of you will keep the next challenge interesting and keep up the good work.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic