Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:58:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGames[s]Bob's Game[/s] POKEMAN
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54
Print
Author Topic: [s]Bob's Game[/s] POKEMAN  (Read 173322 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2008, 10:11:37 AM »

I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to debate this.
I've played Doukutsu/Cave Story and my game is quite larger.
Not sure about Yume Nikki, I'll check it out.
I know of a few other "singlehanded" titles as well, and I'm pretty sure I've got them beat as well.
Even so, those games are relevant for a reason..
And AFAIK those people were already professional developers. I was not, I taught myself from scratch.

How big your game is is no indication of how good it is. He should really stop obssessing over that fact. Makes him seem like mainstream developers who put "100 gameplay hours of grind and repetition dhuuuurrr!!" on the boxes.

This guy doesn't seem to have a mental issue for me anymore besides some degree of OCD. He seems like a guy who's passionate about his work, but far too obssessed with how he made the game and not the game itself. I keep hearing about how he made the game by himself for 5 years and I know practically NOTHING about the game, which should be his focus in the first place.

It all makes it seem like the game itself might be terribly boring and since he can't find a reason to advertise it he advertises himself. But I don't know yet without actually playing it, though I don't have a DS so I kinda doubt I'll be able to.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2008, 10:23:55 AM »

At first this guy seemed like a big fat jerk, but so far, he seemed to have taken some criticism to a reasonable extent on the SA thread. It just leads me to believe he just needs some good kicks in the right direction.

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »

And he says he's been sending the video to Ubisoft and other companies. WTF

"Here's a video of me in my underwear, wasting my most precious years in front of a screen, making a game. You don't need to know anything else about the game, because I spent my peak and most productive years on it, instead of actually making something of myself, and that's what makes the game so awesome. Even if it turns out to be the biggest pile of elephant dung, (which it might be, since no one ever tested it, (because I'm too much of a paranoid egomaniac, and I think if anyone saw the game, they would steal it immediately and be the next Will Wright (yes the game is that awesome)), or ever seen a single piece of gameplay) it's okay, because I made it by myself in 5 years! I even made the graphics pixel by pixel, as if other pixel artists have some other magical way of doing pixel art, and I believe my game to be the last of the great arcade era, and it will be the pinnacle of gaming, and yes, just because I made it by myself. I'm great. I'm so great, I even put myself as the end boss. Who better than me, Bob the Magnificent, to push the player to the edge, challenging them both physically and spiritually with my awesomeness?
So won't you pretty please buy my game and make me rich and famous? I even wore my clean undies for the video!"

So, that's my interpretation of the underlying message hidden in his video and posts at Select Button.

yeah i agree. I dont care if he did it "pixel by pixel", if he spent 5years on it, and that he did it all himself.

I really dont think it looks that great..
I also dont care how big/long the game is, just as long as its a good length and fun..imo, he shouldve just worked in a team, made something phenomenal, instead of grinding-it for 5years..

but +kudos for determination i guess

Renton
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2008, 01:11:41 PM »

How big your game is is no indication of how good it is. He should really stop obssessing over that fact. Makes him seem like mainstream developers who put "100 gameplay hours of grind and repetition dhuuuurrr!!" on the boxes.
Exactly. I can make you a game twice as big as Bob's, and it will still be bad. Hell, Daggerfall had a game world of 150000 km2 and 15000 towns and about a million NPC's. Didn't change the fact that it was boring.

I've played Doukutsu/Cave Story and my game is quite larger.
And AFAIK those people were already professional developers. I was not, I taught myself from scratch.

First of all, I don't get this one-man pissing contest. What are you trying to prove, Bob? Cave Story isn't even in the same genre of gaming. You're actually proud of making a free-roam RPG that's bigger than a platformer?

And what's this "He was a professional developer, I taught myself" bullshit? So he was born a pro? He was born with the necessary knowledge for making a game like that? Is that what you're saying, Bob? Pixel had it easy; he didn't need to learn the stuff. He was a gaming oracle, a prophet. The coding came to him as revelations.
Gnarf
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2008, 01:24:31 PM »

Yeah. Posting on a forum about how someone should spend their time seems fairly nonsensical.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2008, 01:27:15 PM »

Renton, I'm glad that just this once I'm not completely alone with my opinion :D
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »

You can take a huge dump, and be proud of your achievement, but it won't change the fact that you're proud of a big pile of shit.

Renton
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2008, 01:39:07 PM »

Arrogant piece of shite. Arrogance is one thing I think developers should never have. I love a modest dev. Just look at Edmund McMillen. He made a great game and the topic title wasn't "Worship me". It was "I made something". It sounds like something a 5 year old would say after he craps his pants and secretly tries to wash it in the sink, clogging up the drain. That's modesty. That's humility. That's how every developer should be like.

Renton, I'm glad that just this once I'm not completely alone with my opinion :D
Gentleman
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:50:07 PM by Renton » Logged
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2008, 01:40:29 PM »

What a doucheLips Sealed
arrogancy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2008, 05:32:35 PM »

Arrogant piece of shite. Arrogance is one thing I think developers should never have. I love a modest dev. Just look at Edmund McMillen. He made a great game and the topic title wasn't "Worship me". It was "I made something". It sounds like something a 5 year old would say after he craps his pants and secretly tries to wash it in the sink, clogging up the drain. That's modesty. That's humility. That's how every developer should be like.

Gentleman

I'd personally prefer someone "telling it straight" than having faux modesty and bashing the people you pretend to be modest to when out of their earshot *Not that Ed is this way - but I've seen this a WHOLE lot over the years). You'd be surprised at what some game devs (not the ones mentioned) say about their consumers when there's no one to quote them - and these are the ones that come off "nice" and "modest" in public.

That said, you need to produce something that people like before you can really take on that personality, or risk turning off everyone else from your product beforehand. Everything now depends on how good his game actually is.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:42:02 PM by arrogancy » Logged
increpare
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2008, 05:49:27 PM »

Everything now depends on how good his game actually is.
Would everything depend on something else if he had different marketing tactics?
Gnarf
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2008, 05:58:23 PM »

That's modesty. That's humility. That's how every developer should be like.
That's nonsense. Game developers should develop games. In general, it's a all good if they're insane and have no idea how to deal with human beings and whatever.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2008, 06:22:19 PM »

jazzuo

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2008, 07:26:53 PM »

That's modesty. That's humility. That's how every developer should be like.
That's nonsense. Game developers should develop games. In general, it's a all good if they're insane and have no idea how to deal with human beings and whatever.
I agree.

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2008, 07:28:40 PM »

Arrogant piece of shite. Arrogance is one thing I think developers should never have.

What about arrogancy? Tongue

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2008, 08:39:46 PM »

I'm on that SA thread under another name

Oh hey, you're Darko.  Why didn't you just re-reg your arrogancy account after you got banned?

tweet tweet @j_younger
Seth
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2008, 10:57:37 PM »

what annoys me the most about his arrogant publicity tactics is that they seem to work pretty well
Renton
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2008, 11:23:29 PM »

And most of the games of those arrogant bastards usually turn out to be shite, because they're just too damn arrogant to take criticism.
I mean, Daikatana, anyone?
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2008, 11:24:22 PM »

ha! true.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2008, 11:26:19 PM »

Okay, you guys need to calm down.

Here, smoke some weed. Let us draw from the peace pipes!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic