Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:37:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralso...
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: so...  (Read 10065 times)
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2007, 10:47:27 PM »

I think it's probably a little difficult to get people started on bases and vector spaces without introducing lines first, and the concept of relative rates of change (as evidenced in the slope of a line) is fairly important, and good preparation for calculus.

Fine, so introduce lines, circles, points, rectangles, triangles.  All this stuff can be introduced without delving in to maths.  All you need is graph paper, a pencil, and a ruler.  With these, introduce co-ordinate systems.  The triangle is relative to the center of the circle, which is relative to the center of the world.  Oh look, we can create shapes between any points, combine shapes to create new ones, etc.  Oh look, the circle has a center point, and oh, by the way, so does the rectangle.

All these concepts, rate of change, etc, should be taught.  Just about every mathematic taught has a practical use, but the students (and faculty) are oblivious to it.

I almost also think math should be taught with an easy programming language.  Seeing graphics on screen do something is a heck of a lot more rewarding than a checkmark.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Dust
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2007, 10:54:32 PM »

Part of the reason i struggle with maths, i know it will in some way help me understand programming, but because its all pen and paper i cant see any way this is forwarding my abilities to code. It would be much easier like, PoV said to have maths taught with a easy programming language. wait...actually wouldn't that be more applicable in a computer class than a maths class or have two separate (if this was ins schools)
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2007, 07:39:10 AM »

i am a math retard.
i failed math4 2 times.
seriously, its like a condition.
i blame that time i fell on my head and lost consciousness when i was 4.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2007, 07:40:26 AM »

I hate to break it to you... but you never woke up.  Shocked

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2007, 07:32:18 AM »

Haowan! Why did you tell him so soon? I was saving the surprise for his 50th birthday!
Oh well, whatyagonnado... Wink
:D

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic