Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:07:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRemnant
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Remnant  (Read 25391 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 06:46:01 PM »

something like this should do for now...

Code:

class Camera {
  vec2 pos;
  vec2 vel;
  void update(vec2 playerPos, float dt){
    const float CAMERA_MAX_SPEED = 5;
    const float CAMERA_ACC = 2;
    const float CAMERA_CLOSE_ENOUGH_DIST = 1; // world units

pos = pos + vel*dt;

vec2 diff = playerPos - pos;
    if (diff.length() < CAMERA_CLOSE_ENOUGH_DIST){
      vel = vec2(0,0);
    }
    else {
      vec2 acc = normalise diff and cap length at CAMERA_ACC;
      vel = vel + acc*dt;   
      // also, cap vel so its not greater than CAMERA_MAX_SPEED
    }
  }
};

FireFlower
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 01:14:05 PM »

Wow, nice artwork! Interesting game concept too. Keep up the good work!  Hand Thumbs Up Right
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 01:41:52 PM »

something like this should do for now...

Code:

class Camera {
  vec2 pos;
  vec2 vel;
  void update(vec2 playerPos, float dt){
    const float CAMERA_MAX_SPEED = 5;
    const float CAMERA_ACC = 2;
    const float CAMERA_CLOSE_ENOUGH_DIST = 1; // world units

pos = pos + vel*dt;

vec2 diff = playerPos - pos;
    if (diff.length() < CAMERA_CLOSE_ENOUGH_DIST){
      vel = vec2(0,0);
    }
    else {
      vec2 acc = normalise diff and cap length at CAMERA_ACC;
      vel = vel + acc*dt;   
      // also, cap vel so its not greater than CAMERA_MAX_SPEED
    }
  }
};

oh dang thanks! When I get free time from all my school assignments, I'll implement it and see what happens. Thanks so much for the help eigenbom!

Wow, nice artwork! Interesting game concept too. Keep up the good work!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thanks! Will do!

Rendered Animal Concepts

I know the color schemes seem weird since all these animals are grouped on one page, but in the actual game, they won't be grouped together like this. Each creature will inhabit certain habitats and locations. Plus, the lighting and environment might change their colors too.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »

The coloured versions look great.. Are you going to hand draw each frame as a 2D sprite?
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 02:21:07 PM »

Thanks, yea everything will be 2D animated. I think I'll redo the lion some time, the pose is awkward.

seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 03:50:40 PM »

So I'm having issues with trying to find the best way to make the player walk on a non-tile based platformer in Flash.

The alternative is to go the array route by creating tiles. However, I wonder if there's a way to cover up these tiles with an image so they do not look like tiles. The image would of course, be near the shape of the tiles.

If anyone has some good resources on this, please let me know.

ionside
Level 1

what was I doing, again?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »

Oh... Wow!!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 05:19:24 PM »

this is one of the better 2d platformer guides.

But u know, as i said .. you're really opening up a horrible can of worms going the platformer, collision, and physics route. I think you should really think about what the point of your game is, and whether being able to run and jump like a traditional platformer is vital to achieving that goal.

A simpler approach, for example, could be to create a series of rooms with predefined paths in them that the character follows when you press left and right. No collision or physics necessary, just path following.

seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 10:30:55 PM »

this is one of the better 2d platformer guides.

But u know, as i said .. you're really opening up a horrible can of worms going the platformer, collision, and physics route. I think you should really think about what the point of your game is, and whether being able to run and jump like a traditional platformer is vital to achieving that goal.

A simpler approach, for example, could be to create a series of rooms with predefined paths in them that the character follows when you press left and right. No collision or physics necessary, just path following.

Wow thanks for that article it helps!

You're right, ever since you suggested gamemaker a few days ago, I've been really evaluating the situation. I even looked to see if gamemaker would truly be a better choice.

The point of the game is not to run and jump but to explore; I felt like the best way to tackle this was to learn from making a platformer, and then tuning it down to something simpler to focus on the exploration gameplay.

See, I want the player to move with the arrow keys; I believe that the ability to move your character via keystrokes gives the player a sense of connection to the avatar. But at the same time, I want to include a bit of point n' click that's similar to Machinarium and Botanicula (like finding these little hidden things and they animate). I want the player to be able to point and click, but also have the ability to move on their own. That's why I've been looking at platformer tutorials.

But the idea of moving the avatar by keystroke along a predefined path sounds perfect. I'm gonna research this up and see what I can find. Thanks again eigenbom!

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 01:04:21 PM »

Looks lovely.

Manuel777
Level 0

Indie rocks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 02:26:29 PM »

I admire your work sean, that looks incredible! You definately have a future as an illustrator! :D

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 03:14:57 PM »

@seancruz Np dude, i hope it works out for u.

Following a path shouldn't be toooo tricky, a minimal implementation could just use a set of waypoints that are ordered from left to right, when the player moves you just look up the screen height value from the two waypoints its between and the interpolated. You could also tag a waypoint with events or a LOCKED tag that prevents the player from passing unless they've unlocked it.

You can also break up the path following mechanic occasionally by having special waypoints that, when crossed, trigger a predefined animation. E.g., pressing right at waypoint B causes the character to jump down to waypoint C below. This action could be based on whether the character has picked up the 'jumping potion' or not.

See knytt stories for a great implementation of the 'progressive exploration' mechanic.

Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 04:05:19 PM »

Platformer Prototype

It feels awkward. The jump is the same height no matter how long you hold the jump button for. When you move left and right, you start out really slow and accelerate--it would feel a lot more natural if you went the same speed the entire time.
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 04:33:47 PM »

Game Maker does have functionality for predefined paths with smooth curves built in, although I've never used it. But I think Paul Eres used that for Immortal Defense, so you could probably ask him about it. It seems like it might exactly what you need.

Oh sweet, yea I'll look into that, thanks!

Looks lovely.

Thank you!

I admire your work sean, that looks incredible! You definately have a future as an illustrator! :D

Thanks alot man!

@seancruz Np dude, i hope it works out for u.

Following a path shouldn't be toooo tricky, a minimal implementation could just use a set of waypoints that are ordered from left to right, when the player moves you just look up the screen height value from the two waypoints its between and the interpolated. You could also tag a waypoint with events or a LOCKED tag that prevents the player from passing unless they've unlocked it.

You can also break up the path following mechanic occasionally by having special waypoints that, when crossed, trigger a predefined animation. E.g., pressing right at waypoint B causes the character to jump down to waypoint C below. This action could be based on whether the character has picked up the 'jumping potion' or not.

See knytt stories for a great implementation of the 'progressive exploration' mechanic.

Yea, that sounds good; it's pretty much exactly what I envision for the gameplay. I'm gonna look up how to do this and see what I can do. I've seen knytt stories before but I can't play them :/ I currently use a mac; I'll be ordering my pc parts soon. Maybe I can test it out on the DS.

It feels awkward. The jump is the same height no matter how long you hold the jump button for. When you move left and right, you start out really slow and accelerate--it would feel a lot more natural if you went the same speed the entire time.

Yea, I get what you mean. I've been working off of a tutorial that does not have the best coding around. Most likely, I'll be scratching this prototype and working either in gamemaker or scripting something differently in flash. Thanks for the feedback!

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2012, 03:23:31 AM »

Very nice artworks! Your idea sounds really big, so it will probably take a lot of hard work to get this playable by April. But hey, when you dream, it's gotta be big. So I will be following your progress and wish you a fun journey.  Toast Left

DiscoFish
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2012, 04:54:36 AM »

Amazing!

seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 06:26:05 PM »

Thanks alot DiscoFish and zede05.

Anyways, I now have a Twitter account, where you might see some updates for the Remnant in the future. I will also be updating my blog site with stuff.

www.twitter.com/cruzdroid

www.cruzdroid.blogspot.com

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2012, 09:55:18 PM »

Wow, this is absolutely stunning. If your game is anywhere near the perfection of your art, this will surely be a masterpiece. Best of luck, mr. seancruz.  Smiley
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 01:49:22 PM »

Thanks Inanimate!

Good news!

I was recently in contact with a fellow student at my college that is willing to be a part of the game development; he is well-skilled with Flash and programming. Tomorrow we will be meeting and discussing the game; can't wait to see how this collaboration turns out!

Will update on any further info during the weekend, and hopefully new concept updates.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 07:47:30 AM by seancruz » Logged

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 08:58:08 AM »

Amazing artwork! I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Good luck with your project (and thesis)!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic