Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:53:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat is your "ideal" game?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: What is your "ideal" game?  (Read 2745 times)
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 04:38:45 AM »

If it has good jiggle physics I'll play it... and by good I mean bad.

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 05:09:10 AM »

Driving a Lamborghini down a mountain road in the autumn months. I pass a sign, long overgrown, advertising a wildlife refuge just off the highway I have been exploring; not too far out of the way, I decide, and pull in. There is no real parking, just a gravel area in which I leave the car with the keys inside; someone else can have it if they can find it, I decide. Today is a day for nature. Five miles down the path, I spy an eagle perched upon a rocky tor in the distance; it seems to me to be almost a symbol of some older, better time, when all the land around here was alone and free of man. It touches me in a way that I cannot describe, and I am filled with a longing to escape this space and its oppressive lack of humanity as I pull out my rifle and snipe the red player I see in the distance to get the last kill and win the game for our team.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 06:39:08 AM »

On a more serious note; I would really like to see games that have some attitude and style. Hotline Miami sort of does this but if the music wasn't there it wouldn't to the same degree. That game makes you feel like a badass. I want to see games that are more punk in a sense. Games that are more like the modern culture of other media.

Does this make sense to anyone?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:45:39 AM by Mono » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »

Dark Souls is really quite close for me. I like open worlds, but not to the extent where you're just wandering aimlessly doing side quests. I like challenging action games with shorter levels. I like combat that's organic and doesn't rely too heavily on QTEs, mashing, pattern-memorization, or weak points. I like secrets and I think Dark Souls are the best I've ever encountered, since they're well-hidden but not artificially. And finally, I love the dark fantasy world they created for the game... I like it more than Berserk's, and that's saying a lot.

For a long time Zelda 1 has probably been my favorite game because it hit all those notes pretty well and very few games after (perhaps least of all the Zelda sequels) have even tried to continue that tradition. In fact, I can't really think of any other than Dark Souls.

EDIT: I should add, there are some things that annoy me a little bit about the game, like answering YES/NO questions and being given no clue as to what the "right" answer is (e.g. the stupid egg man in Quelaag's lair).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:44:13 AM by Derek » Logged
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »

EDIT: I should add, there are some things that annoy me a little bit about the game, like answering YES/NO questions and being given no clue as to what the "right" answer is (e.g. the stupid egg man in Quelaag's lair).
honestly thats just part of the fun imo
the rest of the game is a bunch of trial and error and the dialogue choices play right into it
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 01:51:25 PM »

Maybe Oracle of Seasons, although half of that game is about planting and growing Gacha Trees. (Good name choice on that, at least.)

And yeah, Dark Souls comes pretty close to mine, too. If you could combine Dark Souls' structural world with Grand Theft Auto (Vice City Stories/San Andreas), that's what I'm talking about. Rework the mission system so that they're like spurts of other playstyles/genres of gaming and semi-structural but emergent story.

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »

I'd like to see more top-view, or pseudo-top-view, action/adventure games with good speed and flow of movement, and even platforming elements. Developers seem to have an aversion to those and stick with platformers, but I've seen them done well (e.g. Shoot First, in some respects, Red Star in others).

I've all but lost interest in rpgs, but I'd try another with no cut-scenes, psx-era fixed camera views, no voice-over, and SMT style depth of battles. I've had the most fun with SMRPG and a few of the ps1 titles, but not much more beyond that (DQIX is an exception, barely).

Someone mentioned Dwarf Fortress. There's a certain feel in the details I'd like to see captured, but it needs to be unearthed.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:51:26 PM by Faust06 » Logged
impulse9
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 08:45:12 AM »

Like Little Big Adventure 2 but 3.

I never played the sequel, but the first LBA was insanely fun to play. They don't make games like this anymore.  Concerned
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 09:34:33 AM »

a mix of dork soles, super mario 64 and deus ex
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »

I can't answer this question. Why? The best games are games that reveal to them to be more than you'd expect them to be when you picked them up. If I already knew what it was ideally, it couldn't surprise me, which would make it less than ideal.
Dane
Level 0

it's hip ²b ■

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »

largeass cheering crowd that reacted to the player kicking ass

deep bass hitsounds with screen shake

super attacks that felt super

a well thought out and strategic combo system

badass character design
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 12:59:22 PM »

I never played the sequel, but the first LBA was insanely fun to play. They don't make games like this anymore.  Concerned

You've got to play it! The first LBA was one difficult beast of the game so it put me off a little but LBA2 is pure awesomeness. And you're right, they don't make games like that anymore, but all is not lost in this case.

The original authors are working on a LBA1 remake and if that does well there's a chance for the third installment. I guess it's like Al Lowe having to prove something with the LSL1 remake before the property owners let him make a new game. Messed up shit if you ask me. Concerned

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 05:04:53 AM »

One game that I would love to play but I know would never really work would be a space MMO ala EVE Online. You play as one character in a galaxy. You can become a fighter, (in which it becomes the world's largest open-space FPS), a politician, a crime lord, etc. etc. What I really want in that world is so many possibilities that I cannot just click buy on a screen and instantly have a spaceship. I want someone to have designed the space ship, sold the design to an evil overlord of a planet, and gotten return from the overlord selling the ship to me.

In summary: A sim that would mimic exactly what life would be like in a couple hundred years.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 06:17:26 AM »

elegant difficulty of Dark Souls, epic story line like old FFs, serious char customization like what WoW/D2 seem like to a newb, dynamic story like what Fable attempted and no game succeeded at, with sections of fast action of Mega Man, and some strategy/puzzles (Civ 5/Space Quest).
Yakyb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »

The openness & graphic style of Skyrim,
The scenario of many a Zombie movie / Z for Zachariah,
World building of the incredible machine (and a little bit of minecraft but not too much)
the game choices of the Walking dead.
some of the pet aspects of Pokemon.
Resource management of Minecraft (purely resource management, not gathering)
Atmosphere of Dear Esther.
Game speed of Minecraft.
Some tower defense aspects.
oh and Multiplayer style of Mortal Online (although, they never really got it sorted)

plus perhaps some other things.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic