Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:59:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSports2001: A Chess Odyssey [FIRST BUILD UP!!!]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 2001: A Chess Odyssey [FIRST BUILD UP!!!]  (Read 8111 times)
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2012, 07:11:46 PM »

It is the distant future, the year TWO THOUSAND.... and one.

Robots vs. .. Something in an all out chess battle!

FIGHT FOR YOUR CHECKMATE!

UPDATE 06!: FIRST BUILD AVAILABLE!!!

DOWNLOAD HERE

As far as I know, all basic movements and attack work. It's not entirely balanced, but you can at least play chess with it.

x cancels a selected move on a character,
space bar confirms your move
escape to exit the game

white (robots) start. Let me know what you think so far! It's not all that impressive yet I know.

UPDATE 05:

All the piece movement logic has been implemented, and stats have been attached to each of the pieces. Now to figure out how to add more tactical/ TBS elements!
UPDATE 04!:

Pawn on the alien team are now moveable! Took way too long to figure out, but it's working quite smoothly right now. There's still one bug I need to adjust, which I am hoping to squash tomorrow. Once I get the pawns working properly I'll move on to the other pieces, which should be much easier to do once the logic for actually determining the movement is figured out.

UPDATE 02: THE GAME IS SET. MAKE YOUR MOVE ALIEN SCUM.

Using Game maker. Nothing works. But I have at least got enough things to start coding. Here's to hoping I can figure out how to code chess logic sooner or later

Placeholder while I figure out exact rules, but I want this to be something I can whip up in the time limit and be playable.

UPDATE 01!:

THE RULES/GAMEPLAY

You play as either robots built by Earth's military or the alien invaders, with one simple goal: Eradicate the opposing forces!

Basic chess rules apply. There are 8 pawns, 2 rooks/knights/bishop, 1 king and queen piece. HOWEVER, there will be some more tactical combat implemented. My thought is that these pieces now have designated health, and in order to capture a piece they must engage in a firefight with it. This means, you are not guarunteed the capture, even if you should get it. It also means that a character's move set represents an advantage in winning those firefights. However, because they sustain damage, there is an added level of caution required. Theoretically, a pawn could get captured by a queen, but still kill it in the ensuing firefight. That's my thought right now. Think advance wars meets chess. Bam.

THE PLAYERS

The Pale Automatons:

Built by Arc Industries, the PA's are earth's last defence against the alien hordes.

The Scourge:

These terrifying creatures have come all the way from deep space, and they're hella hungry. What better snack than the human race!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:05:27 PM by threesided » Logged
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 08:36:28 PM »

Things!

MEET THE WHITE TEAM. SENTIENT ROBOTS BUILT BY HUMANS TO COMBAT THE ALIEN INVADERS.
Devon Peak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »

great idea and art style.

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 08:56:30 PM »

=] Loving your idea. Great art by the way!
Ashkin
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 10:02:18 PM »

Think advance wars meets chess. Bam.
DELICIOUS.
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 12:09:21 AM »

I just LOVE your art style!

The paw is a little misfit though, as all the other robots are square-like. But all of them are great nonetheless!

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 01:21:15 AM »

Sounds like Space Archon, which is never a bad thing. Also, the art style looks neat Smiley

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 06:45:36 AM »

What are your thoughts on the board? A standard 8x8? Or are you mixing thing up a bit?

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 07:00:34 AM »

What are your thoughts on the board? A standard 8x8? Or are you mixing thing up a bit?

I think I'll start with 8x8, build classic chess and then implement my strategy ideas. This way there's at least 1 board to play on. I want to keep it something I can reasonably finish this month, but other boards would be easy to put in later Smiley
KaBoom300
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 08:00:22 AM »

Nice art! Can't wait to see how the game looks and turns out
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 09:14:48 AM »

Looking at the art for the white team again, I'm hoping the black team will be all organic, tentacly, Cthulhu-y entities from beyond space and time Smiley

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 09:33:18 AM »

Looking at the art for the white team again, I'm hoping the black team will be all organic, tentacly, Cthulhu-y entities from beyond space and time Smiley

Way ahead of you Wink I'll have those up later tonight, only have the queen left to pixel, and then I'll post em.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 04:25:07 PM »

This sounds absolutely amazing. Totally an intriguing concept.
medieval
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 04:39:31 PM »

Damn, I'm keeping my eye on this one. Sounds great and the robots look awesome

EDIT: I'd like to ask, do you already have a musician for this project? I would like to fill that spot if you're interested. I was thinking of a chiptune/synth/orchestral mix, one track for on the board and another much more intense track for the firefights
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:50:10 PM by yoshimitsu » Logged
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »

Yoshimitsu: Sure Smiley PM me and we can talk about mood/general composition ideas!

UPDATE!:

Meet the evil alien invaders!!!
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »

Yes.

hi
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 03:39:37 AM »

Those pixels are gorgeous.
This going to be 2-player or AIed?  Local/online?
tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 05:13:20 AM »

Loved the reference!  Smiley
Funnily enough you're not the first tig compo game to make this reference..  Wink

Anyways, I like chess, I like robots, art looks good, looking forward to tha game.

alphasmart
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 07:16:30 AM »

It doesn't seem to have been pointed out yet, but on that screenshot, the board is only 7x8.  Bug or feature?

Otherwise, this sounds interesting!
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 08:03:39 AM »

It doesn't seem to have been pointed out yet, but on that screenshot, the board is only 7x8.  Bug or feature?

Otherwise, this sounds interesting!

Pure personal folly. I am bad at counting.

Also, this'll be strictly local PvP, since I can't program AI very well. Which means you'll have to find a friend to get the most out of this one!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic