Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:07:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSports2001: A Chess Odyssey [FIRST BUILD UP!!!]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: 2001: A Chess Odyssey [FIRST BUILD UP!!!]  (Read 8067 times)
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 12:04:20 PM »

Love the scourge art and colours!

I have high hopes that after the compo is over someone will step up and offer to collaborate with you on some AI for a single-player version, for those of us who are anti-social :D

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »

This sounds fun and looks great (I like all your color choices especially)!

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 10:54:11 PM »

UPDATE 04:
Movement has begun! The board and pieces is beng generated dynamically (not that it matters much here, but I feel accomplished in figuring out how to use arrays and for loops. Huzzah)

Right now the pawns move how they should in the game, however there is a bug when clicking on a new pawn while another is active. It's causing some warping pawns basically. Gonna look into fixing that tomorrow. But now I must sleep, because I am already up way too late working on this.

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 09:22:52 AM »

Fixed the bug that was happening on the pawns, and set up the attack logic for them as well. They ALMOST work correctly now.  I'm hoping that by figuring out how to make the movement logic for the pawns, doing so for the other pieces will be easier.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »

don't forget about en passant  Waaagh!

also, you should try to make it with real multiplayer. shouldn't be too difficult for a turn based game. that goes for everyone who is currently doing a turn based "hotseat" multiplayer game!!!

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 05:28:05 PM »

with people is real multiplayer.
Uykered
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 06:16:22 PM »

looks cool, I hope you give the board a more interesting treatment though like you did the characters.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 06:30:17 PM »

yea, mp with networking involves people... what did you think i meant? without people? i don't get it

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »

yea, mp with networking involves people... what did you think i meant? without people? i don't get it

I think he meant that calling over-network MP more real than hotseat multiplayer seemed odd.

As for actually doing that, I have nowhere near the capacity for such a thing for the purposes of this compo. But perhaps if I can get enough done to entice a proper programmer, we can make it happen.

Also, yes, the board is a placeholder, and I hope to give it a proper artsy treatment once more of the code is done. I have enough to work with, I can always go back and improve the graphics after the fact.
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 02:02:37 PM »

After what I thought was a good day, I've hit a snag: I can't for the life of me figure out how to do diagonal movement through an array. I'm going to have to figure out a better way to do it, because right now, it's fucked.

If anyone knows where I can look, or knows enough game maker to do it, let me know! This is pretty much the last thing I need to figure out before moving on to the Strategy stuff.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »

What is the problem with diagonal movement?
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »

assuming bottom left is 0, 0

array[ x ][ y ] - center

array[x + 1][y + 1] - diagonal move up / right

array[x - 1][y - 1] - diagonal move down / left

array[x + 1][y - 1] - diagonal move down / left

array[x - 1][y + 1] - diagonal move down / right

just multiply the 1s by the distance? is this what you mean? if 0, 0 is the top left, then flip the signs on the Y 1s. i'm leaving right now but if you need more help pm me and i can help you out when i get back in a few hours

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 02:33:16 PM »

The problem wasn't with checking the array diagonally, it was stopping it when it moved outside the bounds of the board. I fixed it though. Didn't realize it was such an easy problem. Gonna finish off the queen and then upload a video/the game itself. The capturing logic still needs to be put in, but yeah. Feelin' pretty good!

EDIT
Okay, so the logic for the movement is done! I need to decide how to handle attacking still though... hopefully I can get some logic for that done soon and then release a build to play around with. It'll still be pretty rough at this point, but I'm more interested in getting people to play it rather than hold on to it until the end.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 04:38:51 PM by threesided » Logged
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 05:54:18 PM »

UPDATE 05:

All the piece movement logic has been implemented, and stats have been attached to each of the pieces. Now to figure out how to add more tactical/ TBS elements!

Suggestions totally welcomed! What do you guys think would be cool?
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 07:03:37 PM »

Artillery. Ranged attacks are what makes any TBS worth playing Well, hello there!
Maybe units could choose to shoot along their possible movement range instead of moving, dealing less damage than melee. Limited ammo, possibly?
Also different/randomized terrain types on each tile, maybe.

And pawns NEED to self-destruct and explode, their shape says so.

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 01:39:39 PM »

Gonna put a build up as soon as I can figure out how to get one up... Turns out Game Maker for Mac (Which I am using unfortunately) doesn't allow publishing of games in the Lite version. Stay posted... hope to have a playable build up by the end of today.

UPDATE!: FIRST BUILD AVAILABLE!!!

DOWNLOAD HERE

As far as I know, all basic movements and attack work. It's not entirely balanced, but you can at least play chess with it.

x cancels a selected move on a character,
space bar confirms your move
escape to exit the game

white (robots) start. Let me know what you think so far! It's not all that impressive yet I know.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:04:40 PM by threesided » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic