Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:36:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsExtreme Jingling
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Extreme Jingling  (Read 3311 times)
Tchom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2012, 10:11:13 PM »

For years the major video game studios have ignored my letters and fraudulent petitions to make a game based around the most underrated sport ever invented. Now I have been forced to take the matter into my own hands. Faded into obscurity by the sands of time, this sport was man's ultimate test of power, wit and grace. I am of course talking about the sport of Jingling.

Jingling enjoyed the height of its success in the mid-1800s in rural England. The game is played like this: it has twenty one players, twenty of which are blindfolded while the remaining player is dressed in sleigh-bells. The "jingling" player must prance around the play-field while the other blinded players attempt to tackle them. The first person to tackle the jingler wins. Here is a watered down version of the game played by school girls and a sex-offender -

I will be taking a more modern approach to the game, appropriating themes from the James Caan version of Rollerball and Bomberman. The player will play as the jingler, luring opponents into obstacles in an ever-shrinking arena.

I'm currently experimenting with the LWJGL, so hopefully I'll build the game in Java, but if I run out of time, I'll probably do it in Flash.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:45:19 AM by Tchom » Logged
Ben H
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 11:19:34 PM »

Here is a watered down version of the game played by school girls and a sex-offender -

*tea pfftt*  My Word!

This sounds great! At first I thought it was going to be multiplayer, with some players not being able to see the screen. I guess positional audio would be required and 3D stuff... so it might get messy.

Will monsters do anything other than follow noises?

Tchom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 11:36:51 PM »

3D might be a bit beyond the scope of this project.  I'll probably go with a topdown  perspective . It might even be interesting to play as the blindfolded team. You could 'flick' your players towards the jingler... still brainstorming. I'll do a proper design document when I get home tonight and post it. All I know is this sport deserves its own game!
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 12:16:18 AM »

Thought you were yanking my chain til I watched the video. Great concept.

Fuzzy memory for chasers would be cool. Sounds and touch alert them to the location of obstacles, but as they move about more, they become less certain of where exactly they are w.r.t. known obstacles.
Tchom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 03:29:03 AM »

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm sure I'll include some fuzzy logic to simulate human input. I've half-arsed a design doc (http://www.tom-hughes.net/sportsgamecomp/ExtremeJinglingv0.1.pdf) - outlining the absolute bare minimum I want to achieve, so now I can throw myself into a tech demo without feeling bad that I didn't do any planning.
Eelfroth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 12:56:21 PM »

What the... A design document? I heard of those, but never believed they were real.
Anyway, your idea is great - I'm eager to see how it plays out.
Tchom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:35:05 PM »

Early experiments: Behaviours

So I've thrown myself into code. Here is my first experiment with behaviours. http://www.tom-hughes.net/sportsgamecomp/demo1/

I've twisted Keith Peter's implementation of steered vehicular movement from my favourite book ever, AdvancED Actionscript 3.0 Animation (cannot recommend this book enough).

Chaser circles activate when the jingler gets too close to it. Chasers are faster than than jinglers, but don't turn very well. When a charging chaser hits another character, they are temporarily stunned (represented currently by turning green). Still a long way off usable gameplay, I just thought you guys might be interested to see what I've done now that I have things moving around the screen.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:40:27 PM by Tchom » Logged
Tchom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »

Today's goal.. make a sprite-sheet engine.

Despite being a career flash developer, I don't actually own Adobe Creative Suite (I live in Australia, so it cost like $3000). So I've been using FlashDevelop and a Flex SDK, which is much better for development right up to the point you need to put graphics into your project. I'll post another demo when my game has pretty graphics in it.
Tchom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 06:03:59 PM »

http://www.tom-hughes.net/sportsgamecomp/demo2/

It's a start. Using some placeholder sprites from opengameart.org (http://opengameart.org/content/lpc-male-sheets). These are awesome sprites, and I might even end up keeping them in, so long as I can get an animation for tackling and falling on the ground.

As for the engine itself, its an unoptimised mess at the moment (currently each animation cycle creates its own instance of the source bitmap) but it has a few nice things such as the ability to dynamically set the animation speed (not implemented in this demo).

Anyway, its getting more fun and game mechanics are starting to emerge. Coming soon: points awarded for near misses...
Tchom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 03:09:11 AM »

http://www.tom-hughes.net/sportsgamecomp/demo3/

Third demo up - not much difference with this one other than I've cleaned up the animation, taken out the debug circles and added a snazzy new background.
Tchom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 04:16:53 PM »

Thanks man. I have a long way to go, but there is already a lot I like. I need to work out a way for the chasers to keep their distance from each other more and a mechanic to keep the jingler constantly moving (rand-chance of chasers homing in, regardless of distance?)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic