Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:17:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsWolves Hunting
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wolves Hunting  (Read 5142 times)
KaBoom300
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2012, 07:32:14 AM »

Update: Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've been busy with school and life. Here's a video to show you sort of where I'm at, hopefully I'll have a lot more to show tomorrow! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptv2XttqQpo&feature=youtu.be

Hello all. I'm new to this forum, but I'm excited to join the community and participate in this competition. I heard about it through Kyle Pulver on Twitter ^^

My idea is for a game about hunting in a point an click adventure / puzzle game where you play as a wolf trying to defend the woods from human hunters through stealth and cunning (no worries, even though you are hunting, the game won't be horribly graphic)

As I begin today, I'll keep this thread updated. The game will be done in Flash most likely, but otherwise Java

Video 1 -

Video 2 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptv2XttqQpo&feature=youtu.be

Gameplay Photos -

A video and more content tomorrow
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:26:33 PM by KaBoom300 » Logged
KaBoom300
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:20:05 PM »

Been in class all day, but I've still had some time to do some simple coding and have a graph up and running, representing different places you can click on and get a reaction from the game. Red lines represent paths that the wolf will be able to move along. The paths are one directional, but I don't really want to spend time coding up graphical arrows that aren't going to be useful later in the game to show that, so you can just believe me that they are Smiley

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »

Welcome to to the forums! Best of luck on your game. Sounds like an interesting idea, and a fun interpretation of "hunting for sport". :p
KaBoom300
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 07:04:55 PM »

Thanks! I appreciate the welcome, and I'm excited to be a part of this forum. Also, here is a wolf concept I've drawn up, hopefully more stuff tomorrow!

medieval
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:52:20 AM »

Thanks! I appreciate the welcome, and I'm excited to be a part of this forum. Also, here is a wolf concept I've drawn up, hopefully more stuff tomorrow!

It has a strange form and for a moment I thought the tail was the head. While I understand that realism isn't your priority, try to use more references; it has to bear resemblance to reality either way.
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 03:49:50 AM »

Oh!  He is so adorable and proud.  Love it.
Porpentine
Level 0

gurgle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 04:06:40 AM »

This is a great wolf, I like its pointy head! I could tell exactly what it was.

It doesn't have to bear resemblance to reality. Don't listen to people who say that.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 05:39:16 AM »

I like it, One thing I would be careful about is the legs though. at first glance I noticed that the front right leg looked backwards and that made me think the character was perhaps wounded. on a second look I realized that was not the intent, but you want to be careful with first impressions.

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »

My idea is for a game about hunting in a point an click adventure / puzzle game where you play as a wolf trying to defend the woods from human hunters through stealth and cunning (no worries, even though you are hunting, the game won't be horribly graphic)

Here's some inspiration maybe. I recall playing this a bit when it came out. Your pitch idea reminded me of the game, although I don't remember if it was even remotely close mechanics-wise. Just the visuals in my head matched what you were talking about.

Looking forward to your entry! It sounds cool Smiley

KaBoom300
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 01:29:57 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I have the most trouble with the art, so anything helps. I'm working on doing some animations today, since I feel like they'll take me the most time overall. I'll post an animation as soon as I get one done.
KaBoom300
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 07:35:16 PM »

Whew. Animation can be exhausting for someone who has no experience animating XD

Here's what I came up with. Going to focus on some programming tomorrow and try to get the game rolling with some cheap graphics and waiting to flesh all the art out until the game is done.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »

I like the standing animation, but there's something really unnatural looking about the running animation.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 07:55:42 PM »

You might want to look up quadruped run cycles if you want the movement to look more believable.  And in the standing animation his leg is kinda dislocating from its socket, sliding up and down his body like that...
KaBoom300
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »

Thanks, it's just a start but I appreciate the feedback. I'll work on it. And Fifth, your avatar might prove to be quite useful haha
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 08:15:34 PM »

Heheh, I'll take that as a compliment!
KaBoom300
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 01:00:59 PM »

Video update!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UYzUJ55OaU&feature=youtu.be
KaBoom300
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »

Quick update - The game can now be won or lost! Events are coming along nicely, and some menu work has been finished. I'll post some screenshots and maybe another video later on today after I've finalized some things.
KaBoom300
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 07:24:52 PM »

Photos of game play and menus! Hopefully will have a video tomorrow with more than one level.

KaBoom300
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »

New video update! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptv2XttqQpo&feature=youtu.be
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic